Editing with a DVD recorder?

Username: Spinelli

Post Number: 1
Does anyone make a DVD recorder with editing properties for the average user, not a professional?

I'm trying to record shows from the television and then get rid of the commercials. I can download the disc to my PC and then edit it with my software program and then burn the new version to disc, but that takes forever.

I need a recorder that will allow me to delete certain segments of recorded data. Surely we have the technology. No?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2389
RAM discs can be edited, so can RW discs recorded in VR mode, both of which are incompatible with most players. Get a recorder with a hard drive.

Post Number: 2
Thanks, David. I'll be looking for a recorder with a hard drive. They seem to be expensive.
I bought a Centrios recorder for peanuts a few months ago. It does a good job, though.

By the way, David, i followed your advice from another thread and bought that MCM video stabilizer. It worked great for VHS to DVD and it with a little adjustment of the rheostat (just like you said) it worked for some DVDs for DVD to DVD transfer.

What's interesting is that on one particular DVD, a very new movie release, it would record for about 30-50 minutes and then shut down. I would start recording again and everything was fine for another 30-50 minutes. Picture quality was excellent, but I couldn't get it to record constantly for the entire 2 hours of the movie.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2395
Those stabilizers need a good battery for optimum performance. You might try a new battery. If you don't care about playing the discs on a different player, RAM or RW in VR mode will let you do any editing you want, even lets you seamlessly record in the edited spots. New Panasonic players all do RAM discs.

Post Number: 3
Well, I bought a DVD player with a hard drive. Unfortunately, it is only a DVD player with a hard drive -- not a DVD recorder. It is an RCA DRS7000N Scenium Digital Media Recorder. The model is out of production.

The unit records very well off of televsion onto a 40GB hard drive. And of course it will record anything that is hooked up to it via the RCA cables.

It does not, however, record off of its own DVD player. I did not know this when I bought it. I assumed all DVR's came with a DVD recorder. But this unit is old. It came out in 2003. I bought it brand new/open box for cheap money - $140.00.

Recording quality is excellent. It offers absolutley no editing features, which is exactly the reason I was shopping for a DVR, nor does it play +R discs. Like I said, the unit was made in 2003. Three years in tech gadgets might as well be fiftyyears the way things progress so quickly today.

Oh well, I learned a lesson. No big deal. The purchase does have one redeeming quality, though. It will record copyright protected DVDs and VHSs without any problems.

I had to decide whether to buy another DVR that will do editing or just buy another DVD player/recorder with an option to use VR mode with DVD-RW discs.

A good DVR, like a Panasonis DMR-E85H would cost me $250-300. A dependable regular DVD recorder would be half of that. So I looked at the Toshiba DR-4 and was ready to purchase one on ebay for $90 (refurbed). Then I researched a bit more and found a refurbished Pioneer DVR-220 for $145. The specs for the Pioneer are impressive and the reviews I read were all positive. I'll transfer everything to the Pioneer in VR, edit it, then I'l tansfer it back to my old Centrios DVD recorder that uses +R discs.

The bottom line: I ended up spending $285 for two units that I should have spent on one unit that does what I want. But I learned a lot about DVD recorders, so it wasn't all bad.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us