Archive through January 13, 2006

Jeremy 0415
Unregistered guest
I have the new Sony 55" A20 with a cable card and have not had any problems. My only complaint is that I don't get any program information. So I have to resort to tv guide

Unregistered guest
Brighthouse Cable (formerly T/W in the Tampa Bay area) told me tonight they can not install a CC on my brand new "CableCARD Ready" Panasonic TH42PX50U. Can someone tell me what my options are?

Username: Peteyhdtv

Belleville, NJ

Post Number: 3
Cableguy,
I finally called Sony and they're sending someone out this week to replace my Q-box. I know you said I'll need to contact my cable company and have them change my Host ID information, but is this something they can/should fix over the phone? I would hate to have to wait for a cable tech to come to my house. Also, once the Q-box is replaced, should I put the CC back in or do I need to wait for the Host ID fix first? Or does it not matter?

Anonymous

Hah! Since I posted the message above about channel pairing information not available the Cox cable tech paid us a visit. He found a bad coax patch cord. While he was there, he replaced the CC for good measure. The symptoms have not returned thus far (over 2 days now - a new record).

Now I feel stupid for not checking the easy things first.

=Steve=

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 317
Jack, Call the FCC and report this, as previously mentioned before this is not an option for them, by law they have to allow you access to this type of equipment and if they are not, they are in direct violation of FCC law.

Pete, in my division I have never had to make a visit to the customer's house to correct that issue. If you provide the new host ID along with the old host ID, they should be able to simply delete the old pairing and insert the new. Please keep in mind I have read that other divisions require somebody come out and physically replace the CC when something like this occurs, IMO it's a waste of their and your time. As far as you putting the CC back in, it really won't benefit you any other then it will map your channels. You will only be able to view analog and "in the clear" digital or HD channels until the card is married.

Anonymous...yes it's amazing how the simple things get overlooked, glad you found it, keep us posted.

DaveyWavey
Unregistered guest
Update on my situation with my Toshiba 46HM95 not working with the Scientific Atlanta cablecard supplied by Time Warner. Called Toshiba and since these TVs are brand new (first in stores last month) that all firmware is up to date. Toshiba's cablecard tech guy speculates there's an issue with ther way the info is being encoded by Time Warner. We have a group discussion (Toshiba/TWC & myself) scheduled for next week Friday. Hopefully a solution will be found then.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 332
Davey,
Thanks for the update, btw, do you know if you are running software 1.52 from Toshiba on your set?

DaveyWavey
Unregistered guest
Dunno off hand. But if I remember I'll go through the diagnostic menu tonight and make some notes and report back.

Bronze Member
Username: Optivity

Post Number: 31
Cable providers "always" blame the TV's manufacturer and their firmware... Albany Time Warner tells me my $5000 Panasonic TH-50PX50U DCR-TV doesn't meet the OCAP 1.0 specification. I believe this is a "scripted" CableCARD response from the provider.

Unregistered guest
Just bought a new SONY KDL-V40XBR1 from Circuit City. I've had two visits from Cablevision this past week and after two hours on one visit and two tecnicians on the second visit, I am still without a working CC. The technicians bad-mouthed CC technology and tried to push their set top box. Calls to SONY tech help as well as calls to Cablevision have been fruitless. Cablevision says I need a firmware update and SONY says there is no update, since the set is part of their brand new just-released Bravia line. I visited Circuit City yesterday and they were very helpful and said they will try to contact both Sony and Cablevision to get the situation rectified this week. If they can't get it done, the set goes back and I get my $3,500 back... I'll keep you updated.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 342
Charles, what exactly is wrong? I can tell you (contrary to Optivity's post) there aren't any new firmware updates for Sony, in fact the only problems I've ever seen with a Sony were the 161-6 error code which is a known Sony issue. For the most part Sony's are pretty reliable, so fill in the blanks, what exactly are the symptoms??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
cableguy: "I can tell you (contrary to Optivity's post) there aren't any new firmware updates for Sony"

I'm confused by your post considering I haven't said anything about firmware updates for a Sony KDL-V40XBR1. But I still believe cable provider's don't like CableCARDs and throw out a lot of bullshit excuses when they don't work properly. Not to mention Albany Time Warner's "copy protection" policy and all the bullshit they put me through over that. BTW, my DSL line is a lot faster (and less expensive) than RoadRunner... I'm not surprised.

Charles... My observation is cable companies are making it as difficult as possible for their subscribers to use a CableCARD and generally try and steer them towards an STB instead. I'm not surprised with this approach, because once you see how much better your TV's picture is with a CableCARD you won't have much incentive to rent an STB.

Cable companies are mandated by the FCC to supply any subscriber a POD who requests one. Keep up the pressure on your cable company to get your CableCARD working correctly, I doubt there is any problem with your TV.

As far as the "cableguy's" input to this forum is concerned... He's knowledgeable, he's willing to help, but he also works for Time Warner so I'd take that into consideration when he offer's up his opinion about me.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 345
Op,
What I was referring to was the fact that your statement said "Cable providers "always" blame the TV's manufacturer and their firmware My response to Charles was there shouldn't be any reason for him to expect a firmware upgrade from Sony. Sorry I didn't do a good job of clarifying my response...not the first time, won't be the last:-)
One thing I would like to make clear is that I don't "blame TV manufacturer's software", what I do recommend is to check with your manufacturer and make sure there are no software upgrades available for specific model. Based on my personal experience with CC troubleshooting, depending on when you bought your TV, what the date of manufacture is, there may be some newer software available for a TV that may help resolve problems with CC's. Example a customer has "X" manufacturer and the software that is OEM from the factory is version A.1 ok? Now, at some point "X" manufacturer determined there was a problem with their software that created problems when using the CC, and they did a revision and created software version A.2, but your TV still has A.1, that would be a good case and point to have the software upgraded. If TV already had A.2 and you were still having problems, this would be a good time to have the cable provider look into signal related issues, or possible a bad CC, or even a coding issue. Keep in mind this is a hyphothetical scenario, but the process is pretty valid. I always recommend the customer contact the TV manufacturer and verify they have the most current version of software for their particular model, not to blame the manufacturer, but to rule that out as a possible cause for the problems they are experiencing. Your opinion about why cable providers try to steer customers towards STB's is always subject to debate, I'm not going to argue with about why this may or may not be done, it is your opinion and who am I to say you're wrong?. Personally I push the CC over STB's, but then again I'm not "the company". It's very easy to point fingers, and I don't point...I just state (from my experiences with CC's and hope it helps somebody in the process) facts as I've learned them. I have never made a statement that was derogatory towards anybody, or any manufacturer, and I'm not going to say anything likewise about you. I understand you've had some problems with your CC experience, heck who hasn't? (quoting you again)As far as the "cableguy's" input to this forum is concerned... He's knowledgeable, he's willing to help, but he also works for Time Warner so I'd take that into consideration when he offer's up his opinion about me. I don't have anything bad to say about you Op, you've been very forthright with your problems, and although we may agree to disagree about certain things, the bottom line is we're all here to learn from each other and without people such as yourself and others posting their problems I wouldn't know half the stuff I know. The only time I draw the line with people is when they bash us "cable guys" in a blanket statement. I know there are problems industry wide, and more people are quick to condemn then to praise, I don't take it personal when somebody is upset, most of the time that's why people are posting in here is because nobody has the answer and everybody is playing monkey in the middle. The cable co blames the TV manufacturer, the TV manufacturer blames the cable co and so on... I don't blame anybody, what I do hold resentment towards is the entities that allow this "new technology" to be released without thoroughly testing it, and ensuring a valid working product is in place before the consumer purchases it. It's a great product, the benefits definately outweigh the drawbacks in the long run. It all boils down to patience when something isn't working right. Communication is the key to any solution, getting both parties involved in the process has always been my key to success.
In closing Op, my opinion about you? I think we're both on the same page, although we may differ in our approach ultimately we both want this product to just work the way it was intended. I thank you for saying I'm knowedgeable and willing to help, I'm still learning day by day..but don't think for one minute that I don't have anything other then the utmost respect towards you or anybody else in this forum, we are all here seeking answers, myself included. Sometimes I don't always convey my answers the way they were intended, I'm no poet, but I'm not above humility and if I have offended you or anybody else I am man enough to say I'm sorry. I hope you all know I do care, if nothing else I'm trying my best.
Thank you

Belleville, NJ

Post Number: 4
Cableguy,
Sony tech came and swapped out the q-box and everything seems to be working fine. I'm still going to get the cable co. to come and remarry the Host ID in an effort to avoid any future issues. When I called to do it over the phone, they absolutely insisted a cable tech had to come to my house. It's going to really annoy me watching the guy come to my house and simply call in the same info I could have called in with.

Unregistered guest
Cable Guy:

Thanks for your interest in my problem.
Unfortunately, I'm not a TV techie, so when the cablevision techs worked on 'trying' to install my cable card, it was 'greek' to me. Basically, they inserted the card and a message came up on the screen indicating it would take up to ten minutes to complete whatever data transfer was needed. After 20 minutes, nothing else happened, so the technician switched to another card he brought with him. That card had some activity displayed to the effect of the number of digital and the number of analog signals identified. However the picture on the screen in the background pixilated terribly and the display stayed locked up. So the technician pretty much gave up and said, "by the way I brought along an STB just in case", and he asked me if I wanted it installed. I agreed to do so until such time as they could return and get the cable card working. Two technicians came a day later. As soon as they walked in, one of them said "I know what the problem is, it's a Sony". They tried to install the card again, but the TV would not read the card, even though the diagnostics acknowledged that a cable card was inserted. The Cablevision techie then said to call Sony and tell them it is an "Out of Band" problem. He said Sony would then come to fix that problem before they could get the Cable Card to work. Again, all 'greek' to me... I have another appointment with Cablevision this Friday, but I don't know what that will prove. They say the problem is with Sony, and Sony says the set is brand new and has no issues that they know of...The picture on the HD channels with the STB is absolutely awesome, but I paid for a Cable Card and I want to be able to use it!!! I don't want an STB, period. Thanks for any advice.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 348
Pete,
yeah that really stinks. I do it over the phone, it's easier for both me and the customer to not have to go there/him be there in the long run. Keep us posted

Chuck,
I would believe the story they were telling you if I didn't know any better. Now all things being equal, their system is not my system, but in my system Sony TV's are one of the more reliable to not have a problem during the installation process. The fact that your pictures are pixilating is an indication there is something going on in the plant. A question back at you:
1. Do you still have the CC installed in your TV?

The next time they come out, have them check the forward data carrier frequency at your TV set. If you have a signal amplifier downstream of your TV, have them check your signal levels, including your FDC before it is boosted.

I'll wait to hear if you still have the CC in your TV before I have you check some things on your TV, there are some common items you can check for me on your menu.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
"cableguy," I have nothing against you personally but it's fairly easy to pull up any search engine and obtain voluminous information regarding the cable industries lack of desire/incentive to implement/support CableCARDs... here is a statement from the FCC:

"progress in bidirectional negotiations, which have been disappointing to date. In the meantime, we are concerned about anecdotal evidence relating to the cable industry's current level of support for unidirectional CableCARDs and expect that performance to improve over the coming months to meet consumer expectations as they purchase CableCARD-enabled devices. To this end, we direct the six largest cable operators to file on or before August 1, 2005, and every 90 days thereafter, status reports on CableCARD deployment and support, including efforts to develop and deploy a multistream CableCARD for widespread use in digital devices available commercially."

If you read some of the CableCARD threads in the AVS Forum, you will see the "TV firmware" blame game is a recurring theme among cable providers.

This doesn't even to begin to address copyright/copy protection issues that my own experience leads me to believe Time Warner has been bullshitting me on since June.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 349
Op, we are on the same page then... I didn't think you had anything against me personally, and I don't take these "discussions" personal. You have stated very clearly your position, and from your own dealings with Time Warner. I can't speak for Time Warner's operations in other divisions, I know how I handle things in my neck of the woods. In fact I believe I have told people that had Time Warner in other threads, if not this one to contact a tech supervisor and demand they look into their problem. I don't know how other cable companies do their business, and I don't know how different a TW office in California does things from a TW office in Florida. Each division has their own way of dealing with issues, but ultimately they all have access to the same corporate offices that keep track of issues that are known to exist. I simply use the resources at my disposal, and exhaust everyone of them to get to the answers I need to help a customer that is having a problem. Just like the comments from Chuck (quote) Two technicians came a day later. As soon as they walked in, one of them said "I know what the problem is, it's a Sony". Yes it is a common problem in the industry, it's not so common in my area, because unlike some of these other systems I took the time to learn, and educate myself using all the facilities at my disposal to better understand what is causing problems. The underlying factor is the consumer has rights, and you have the ability to file complaints with your local cable commissions and also the FCC if you are feeling you are not getting a fair shake.
As per the FCC requirement to file status reports on CC deployment and support, I've been filing reports since July 2004 when we first launched these things. I don't personally have anything to do with the multistream issue, that's way above me in structure.
These links might be some of the best reading you'll ever see concerning where the technology is going and what to expect:

http://www(dot)cablelabs(dot)com/news/
Sorry website rules don't like direct links to offsite locations...replace the (dot) with the .
This link will show press releases from cablelabs who certify and test all products that hit the market.
On the same link, to the bottom left under
CableLabs Project Primers/Overviews, read up on the OpenCable section.

This link may provide everyone get a better understanding of where the CC is going in the future. Regardless of what cable providers want to do, the FCC said "thy will be done". I know I don't officially speak for Time Warner, personally I've already embraced this new technology, it's not an option. The blame game you speak of only holds water if the person doesn't know better. I know better, if there is a problem with outdated software, it gets updated. If there is a problem with the CC or the cable signal, it gets corrected. I don't know of any techs in the system I work for that can not have a successful installation of this product. All the bugs have been identified, and when all else fails, some good old fashioned troubleshooting takes place.
As for the copyright/copy protection issues, do a search under FCC Copy Protection and read through all of the political blah blah blah.

Again Op, no ill will intended, none taken. You're sharing your opinions and experiences, and I hope nobody has to go through where you've been. Taking into consideration I actually care about the customers I deal with, and strive to find the answers as quickly as possible, I too am disheartened when I hear about things you and other people have gone through. It is rediculous that others don't have the professionalism or pride in workmanship to not leave customers feeling the way you have been. I can only fix what I can, when I can...these problems in general can only be fixed by everybody operating on the same playing field, and sometimes that's just not possible. Frustration with the processes and the amount of time it takes to get solid answers when something goes wrong is my only complaint, and it's only frustrating because I don't like my customers to be having to deal with these problems. They should have been solved long before we ever got our hands on the product in the first place, we being both the consumer and the people install/troubleshoot them.

Unregistered guest
Cable Guy:

The Cablevision technicians took the cable card(s) with them. In fact they said that two of the four cards that they tried using during the two visits were 'splitting' at the corners (seams?)

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 350
Chuck,
The next time they come out and plug the card into the slot, go to any clear to air HD channel (any local HD channel in your area) it should be located on the same channel you currently can view it on a STB. Go to the TV-MENU-APPLICATIONS and there is a diagnostic right above the CC option. Enter that area and see what the Inband diagnostic is telling you. It should show the frequency you are tuned to and if it is seeing any errors, as well as the SNR. The SNR should be above 30. Also the Out of Band (on the right) should show the forward data carrier frequency and it should be locked.

Unregistered guest
Thanks, Cableguy. I will pass along your suggestions. Hopefully, the technician will appreciate the input, and not get an attitude if you know what I mean. After all this trouble, I hope the picture with the CC is noticeably superior to the one I have on non-HD channels with the STP, that is if I ever get a working CC...

Belleville, NJ

Post Number: 5
Cableguy,
So the cable tech came this morning and says, "Sir, your TV works fine as is. No need to do anything." I then lie and tell him my friend is a Time Warner tech and that he told me that the new Host ID must be called into the main office. He proceeds to tell me how it's "automatically sync'd" through the cable, and that the Host ID "should" already be updated at the main office. I then reply that the cablecard is a one-way device, and that information can only go to the set, not the other way around (which I must admit I'm not sure is actually true). So he then asks me "Sir, what would you like me to do?" WTF?!?!!? So I tell him that he needs to call into the main office and confirm they have my new Host ID, and if not, give it to them. Sure enough, he calls up the main office and they tell him that the TV needs to be "rebound" with the new Host ID. He gives the new Host ID to the main office, and a few minutes later, everything is "rebound" and working. If they insist on sending someone out to the house for something I could just have called in, you would think that they would at least send someone who knew what he/she was talking about.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 359
Pete,
Glad what little bit advise I can offer was able to help you get through the BS. It only goes to show what everybody has mentioned before about these "cableguys" coming out to your homes, and don't know squat about what they are doing. It's really insulting to ones intelligence when you know what needs to be done, and the person that is supposed to know trys to BS their way out of doing anything. As a cable guy, I am sorry this kind of stuff happens. I read all these post with total amazement that people have to come here to get advise or answers to questions that can't be given by the people who make the product, and the people who support it. Given time, hopefully, this will be corrected. One way to ensure that is to write a letter to the president of your cable provider, explaining in great detail, about all the problems you've encountered, what techs told you and what it took to actually correct the problem, cc the FCC or your local cable commission on the same email, as this will require an answer to not only you, but the people you've cc'd in the email.
Again, I'm glad it's working...I hope it stays working, and I'll be here looking for answers, and helping those when I can. Thanks for updating us Pete.

Mark The Phone Guy
Unregistered guest
I stumbled upon your site while searching for info on CCs and would just like to say thank you for the honest insights from people who work in this industry. My question concerns the obligation of the cable company to provide a CC for my new set. My cable is provided by the Town of Shrewsbury in MA and is administered and maintained by the town. I called inquiring as how to obtain a CC and was told they did not provide that service(we do have HD through a set top box). Does the FCC require cable companies to provide the option of CC to the customer, or can they deny me the option with no consequence. Again thanks for a great forum.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 362
I believe it's all based on the number of subscribers in a system... you could do some research on the net trying to find the answer, or just call the FCC and see if they tell you if your system is required to provide you access for the CC. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing something about the size of the company (see guys, size does matter lol)

Charles L
Unregistered guest
HI everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone else has had a problem similar to mine. I have a brand new Samsung SP-R4232. The first cable guy installed the card but we weren't getting all the channels and the sound would cut in and out. So they came again and put a new card in there. The channels all work but I still have the sound problem. So I was just wondering if anyone had a similar problem and how it was fixed. Thanks

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 363
Do you have a STB in another part of the house, and if so are you having any problems with the audio on the STB?
Also, are you connected to the stereo for your audio or is the problem directly on the TV?

Charles L
Unregistered guest
We have a total of 4 TVs in the house. We have 2 with digital boxes and they all work fine. I have a TV in my room with no box just the cable connected to the TV and everything works fine also. Before we had the SA Cablecard installed the Samsung just had regualr cable, no box or anything and that worked fine too. So I am not sure if it is the TV or the card. Thanks again. Oh and we had three techs come out to the house already.

Charles L
Unregistered guest
I forgot to mention that we have all optical cables. The sound cuts in and out on both the TV sound and the surround. I think the card is some how not getting a strong dolby sound signal. At first I though it might be our reciever but that wouldn't make sense if the sound on the TV is cutting out too. We are not splitting the cable or anything.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 365
Well, that's a new one for me... It's possible there is a conflict going between the TV and the CC, since your STB's don't have the problem. The same signal that feeds those STB's, also feeds your CC TV. The best thing I can recommend is to contact Samsung and see if they can figure anything out before you call your cable company. Not because it might not be a cable related problem, just to get a gauge on if they have had other customers with that problem. Please keep us posted on this one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
"I forgot to mention that we have all optical cables. The sound cuts in and out on both the TV sound and the surround. I think the card is some how not getting a strong dolby sound signal. At first I though it might be our reciever but that wouldn't make sense if the sound on the TV is cutting out too. We are not splitting the cable or anything."

It could be your cable provider is flipping the "copy protection" bits which will "muck around" with your optical interface. Is this happening for all your digital channels, how about the HD locals?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 369
The sound is cutting out on the TV as well as the surround system Op, I know your's is cutting out on the receiver side, but not the TV. That's why I put "that's a new one for me" I'm still researching yours Op.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
My AVS issue is simple... The TV and receiver both support analog & digital audio connections. When the TV receives an ECM that disables the optical interface, no digital sound is passed but the analog connection remains enabled. The receiver is configured to auto-sense analog and digital signals so either Dolby Digital or PCM sound will always be passed.

ECMs that enforce "copy never" protection are "always" enabled for all digital channels except my HD locals. If "copy protection" was being enforced by the content provider it seems logical that on some occasions digital sound would be enabled for my TV's optical interface with various programs on different channels. Since the digital interface is "always" disabled logic dictates the "copy never" flag is being enforced by my cable provider's (Albany Time Warner) head-end.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 372
I'm trying to establish why it works fine through a STB, that gets the exact same information the CC gets. I could be wrong on the assumption, but it would seem to me, that if the copy protection was the issue, that the digital output on the STB would not allow audio to be passed along to the stereo as your TV is not allowing the audio passed on. There is no distinction between the CC and a STB as far as the incoming data is concerned, AC3 audio is not denied access just because it's a CC. The copy never flag, would not allow video or audio to be viewed or heard on a device that is not HDCP compliant. Now that being said, I could be wrong on my understanding of what devices allow certain data to be passed along to another device, that's what I'm currently looking into. Does that make sense, the STB vs the DCR TV? Not arguing, just trying to make sense of it all.

Unregistered guest
Cableguy:

Cablevision came back today for the CC install (3rd attempt)on my SONY KDL-V40XBR1. Lo and behold, he was able to complete the install, however many of my channels, including all the HD channels break up continuously. Only a couple of the non-HD channels are okay. The diagnostics show an SNR of 35 and both In Band and Out of Band are locked. The Cablevision tech. had no idea what the problem was and departed with my pixilatting picture...He said the signal is strong so the problem has nothing to do with Cablevision. I'm getting closer to a functioning cc, but still a ways to go. Any ideas?

Chuck Akalski

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 375
Is the SNR staying constant at 35 or is it fluctuating? Also right above the SNR there should be an Error indicator, is it showing numbers coming and going? It could be any number of things contributing to the pixilating of your picture, some interference in the QAM would be a good guess. They would need to check the QAM with a QAM Analyzer to rule out any problems in the plant.

DaveyWavey
Unregistered guest
Hello again, update on my situation with the new Toshiba 46HM95 and cable card:

Cable tech just left after another service call. This time he was on the line with the tech guy from Toshiba and they went through all the steps together. Bottom line, it still doesn't work.

The diagnostic on the TV showed the cable card was receiving 319 channels ("virtual channels" I think it said) but only was able to display 107(? don't recall actual number here) actual channels. All channels above 100 are encrypted and the TV with CC is only displaying a handfull of random channels above 100. Some work, most don't. We're getting 3 or 4 out of a total of about 40-50 we should be getting.

BTW, the software version of the TV is 1.1.0 and the firmware is 1.53, and the version of the Scientific Atlanta card software is brand new, 1.49 I think he said (don't recall exactly although I know the last number was 9.)

So anyway we seem to have a stalemate. Both the cable tech and Toshiba guys were very helpful this time around and Toshiba wants a couple days to ask around and see if they can get to the bottom of this. Hopefully they can. If not, we'll either be returning our Toshiba or dumping cable on that TV. The latter is the easiest to do although it's silly to pay for premium channels we can view on our regular TV but not the deluxe TV. It's frustrating being the guinea pig for new technology.

Charles L
Unregistered guest
Update:

Thanks for all the information.
It just seems like the sound signal is weak. We live in a new community where the cable was just laid down. So until Cox upgrades there systems we are going to have weak surround sound. After playing around with it we at least have sound on the TV. So it is just our surround sound that kicks in a out. There isn't a problem when we play dvds so there is nothing wrong with the reciever. Some times in life we just have to be happy with what can get.

Unregistered guest
Cable Guy:

Just got back from dinner and I checked the diagnostics again. This time all of the In Band info. shows '0', including Errors. The SNR is also '0', and the status shows 'Unlock'. The Out of Band info. has an SNR of '25' and the status shows 'Lock'. Make any sense???

Unregistered guest
Cable Guy:

OOPs, just realized I was not tuned to an HD Channel when I checked the diagnostics. The SNR is pretty much around 34. There are '0' errors. I do have a block of around 30 non-HD channels that are fine, but channels 2 through 22 or so and all of the HD channels are badly pixilatting. Spoke to the tech at Circuit City earlier this evening and he said that it might be a 'dirty' signal that I will need some type of filter for. He is going to come by tomorrow with some type of 'Power Station (?) I think he called it. Said it would run about $200+. Sound like he's on to something???

Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Cable Guy:

Circuit techie just installed a Monster Home Theater Power Center, which he thought would filter my 'dirty' signal. Didn't do a thing, the set is tiling terribly between stations 2 & 22 and the HD stations. All other stations ok. SNR is between 34 and 35, and 0 errors. Circuit City guy thinks I should have Cablevision run a new line from the street to my house. Don't have much hope. Looks like set will be going back to Circuit City very soon. I figure I'll just go with a good old CRT...I will wait another couple of years until this technology is perfected...

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 376
Chuck, channels 2-22 should be analog channels, and hence shouldn't pixilate, sounds like you've got some serious cable issues that need resolved before you condemn the TV. Contact Sony and report the problem, ask them to esculate the issue to an engineer to see if they can get in contact with your cable provider and work through this issue.

Mark The Phone Guy
Unregistered guest
Cableguy
I have contacted the state cable commission and they informed me that my provider Shrewsbury Cable is responsible for providing customers with a CC. The criteria is based on the number of subscribers as well as the bandwidth utilized by the cable company(apparently size and width matter). I unfortunately appear to be the first customer to be pushing for my CC from this company. The FCC representative contacted my cable company and recieved a "What is a CC?" response from the rep who answered. It looks like I'll be wading through the red tape before I even get to any technological issues. I'll keep you posted on any new developments.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
"I'm trying to establish why it works fine through a STB, that gets the exact same information the CC gets. I could be wrong on the assumption, but it would seem to me, that if the copy protection was the issue, that the digital output on the STB would not allow audio to be passed along to the stereo as your TV is not allowing the audio passed on. There is no distinction between the CC and a STB as far as the incoming data is concerned, AC3 audio is not denied access just because it's a CC. The copy never flag, would not allow video or audio to be viewed or heard on a device that is not HDCP compliant. Now that being said, I could be wrong on my understanding of what devices allow certain data to be passed along to another device, that's what I'm currently looking into. Does that make sense, the STB vs the DCR TV? Not arguing, just trying to make sense of it all."

I have to disagree with your assumption because I believe "copy protection" policies are coded differently for Time Warner STBs versus CableCARDs. Copy protection can be enforced on a device specific basis. I always get digital audio from my DVD player and for the HD locals with CableCARD. I never get digital audio for any premium movie channel or non-local stations in Time Warner's HD digital tier. This makes sense because people would not rent DVDs if the digital sound was disabled for their home systems and cable providers are required to position all rebroadcast OTA in the basic tier (i.e., they can't charge extra to receive the HD locals) and are by rule prohibited from encrypting anything in the basic tier.

I've seen the protection scheme change for ESPN-HD where at first I was receiving digital sound and now I don't. I'm confident this is a head-end policy of Albany Time Warner, other wise by sheer luck of the draw I would get digital sound from one of the eight non-local HD channels at least once in a "blue-moon."

Unregistered guest
Cable Guy:

Thanks. I have set up yet another visit from Cablevision this coming Friday. Supposedly they are going to send a supervisor... By the way, in answer to your question of 9/23, the SNR fluctuates between 34 and 35 every couple of seconds. Could there be a problem with the cable connection at the pole from the street to my house as the Circuit City techie believes?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 384
Chuck, you're bouncing around on the threads, kind of hard to keep up with your post lol.

The CP INFO screen on your TV.
MENU-APPLICATIONS-CABLECARD-CP INFO

goto a digital channel you should be getting, then go into the CP Info screen and tell me what's posted there every line

The SNR fluctuating 34 to 35 is normal, it's when you see a huge dip from let's say from 34 to something in the 20's. There's always a possibility that the wire from the pole to your house could be bad, but your SNR at 34 indicates it doesn't see any problem in the noise floor.

Unregistered guest
Cableguy:

Sorry for the many posts. I'm just so frustrated in trying to get my tv functioning with the CC. It shouldn't be this difficult and my wife is giving me major grief over having spent the $$$ I did for the set. I feel totally defeated by this whole process. Anyway, by the CP info., I guess you mean the Copy Protection info? Here it is:

Current Status:
Waiting for CCI exchange
Current CCI value: 00
Cable card ID (hex):
00 00 00 01 00 00 09 E3
Host ID (hex):
01 C0 0D 58 46
Validated Cable Card ID (hex):
00 00 00 01 00 00 09 E3
Validated Host ID (hex):
01 C0 0D 58 46
Validation EMM since boot: NONE

There are other diagnostic tools under the cable card menu, but I don't really understand what the data they have means. The Cablevision tech. didn't look at any of these menus at all when he left with my set tiling and pixilating. Again, I'm sorry to bother you with this, but there's really no where else to go for support. I think it's awesome that you spend your free time trying to help people you don't even know... I only wish the Cablevision techs. had your attitude & smarts.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 388
Chuck, I don't know what screen that is, it's definately not the CP Info screen I requested. Menu-Applications-CableCard-(show)CP Info.

while on a digital or pay HD channel (not clear to air) you should see the following infomation:

Auth Status:
Prog number:
CCI byte:
ECM count:
EMM count:
Decryption Status:
PowerKey Status:
EID:
MKS period:
KSE count:

Also while on one of the digital channels that is pixilating, go into your Menu-Applications-TV Diagnostic and write down everything on the left and right side of that screen (both In Band and OOB data)

Sorry, I've never seen the data you posted so I wouldn't be much help deciphering it.

Unregistered guest
Cableguy:

My cablecard references did not show all of the information you requested. I did get the following:

ECM Count:
Since last PMT change: 23
Since Power Up: 58
Current ECM PID(s): 012F

EMM Packets: 763047
EMM Messages: 7662088 lost 376862

As for In Band Out of Band data:

In Band

Phy Channel 0
Freq 753000
Module QAM 256
Status Lock
SNR 33
AGC 41
Interleaving I=128 J=4

Out of Band

Freq 112500
Symbol Rate 772
Bit Rate 1544
Status Lock
SNR 25
Cable Card inserted

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 393
Chcuk are you accessing the manufacturer's hidden menu or the actual menu you get from pushing Menu on the remote control? There should be an errors section on the In Band and I'm completely at a loss as to why you can't find the CP Info screen I'm used to seeing.

sorry

Unregistered guest
Cableguy:

There's a separate diagnostics menu and a separate cablecard menu. The diagnotics menu shows the In Band & Out of Band stuff, but has no errors section. The cablecard menu has several sub-menus, one of which gives the ECM and EMM stuff. It's a brand new SONY line that was just released last month, actually the serial number area on the back of the set shows it was manufactured in August 2005, so it may be an entirely new menu system. Anyway, I spent an hour and a half on the phone with SONY yesterday and they couldn't decide whether my signal was the problem, since the Out of Band shows an SNR of 25, or whether it was a problem with the set. The rep. seemed very confused and kept me on hold for 10 minutes at a time while he checked with someone else. He periodically asked me for data from the diagnostic readouts, but we just seemed to go around in circles. The Cablevision supervisor is coming tommorrow afternoon. Can't wait...I'm sure I will still have a non-functioning set after he leaves. Thanks for listening.

Unregistered guest
Cableguy:

Case closed. Returned the set to Circuit City today for an exchange. The new one works perfectly, and the PQ with the cablecard IS superior to that which I had with the STB. Probably a defective Q box? Thanks for all your help the last few weeks. Keep up the good work!

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 399
It's quite possible it was a defective "something" lol, it seems obvious since you replaced the set, something wasn't working right in the first one. Glad to hear everything is up and working, and yes the PQ is undeniable...
Thanks for the update!

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 428
Keeping this thread alive.

Unregistered guest
help I work for a local Cable company here in NE PA and we are just starting to get the Cable Cards in in fact I have an install tomorrow, and NO ONE has told me what to do ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE GREATLY appreciated thank

Unregistered guest
help I work for a local Cable company here in NE PA and we are just starting to get the Cable Cards in in fact I have an install tomorrow, and NO ONE has told me what to do ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE GREATLY appreciated thank

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 433
I would recommend you get with one of your division trainers and get the proper procedure for installing CC's in your system. You shouldn't be coming in here looking for installation training, as the process all varies based on what brand of CC your system is using...how your system does the Host pairing data entry...etc..etc..
What I can offer is check your FDC, make sure all cables are RG6 and follow your company guidelines on how to install them. The FDC needs to be between +15 and -15 dBmV

Gojira87
Unregistered guest
the FDC was never an issue, our freakin company throws this new crap at us and doesnt give us any forwarning on what we need to do, so we head out into the field blind as a bat, I managed to get it up and running for the customer today so thanks anyway, By the way the CC itself is SCI ATL

Gojira87
Unregistered guest
the FDC was never an issue, our freakin company throws this new crap at us and doesnt give us any forwarning on what we need to do, so we head out into the field blind as a bat, I managed to get it up and running for the customer today so thanks anyway, By the way the CC itself is SCI ATL

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 440
Gojira,

I feel your pain brother, don't think for a minute I was trained other then what numbers I needed to call into whom. I've learned as I've gone along, and along the way I've learned more and more about what works and what doesn't. It's no different then any new piece of equipment other then it's quirky if something isn't done right. The FDC (forward data carrier) is an issue if it's out of specification limits, trust me on this one, that's why I recommended to make sure they are in spec. It may not have been an issue with the one you just did, but it will be at some point, someday. There's a lot of useful information in here, not from what I may be saying, but from the people who are having problems. I learn because when things are broken elsewhere, I am better prepared for when they are broken in my area. Hang in there, and feel free to post experiences in here so others can benefit.

regards

DaveyWavey
Unregistered guest
FYI, an update on my situation. After trying just about everything to get my Toshiba to work with a CC and Time/Warner, I'm told that there is a new firmware update (newer than 1.53) that should be available within 2 weeks. This update should solve the problems and hopefully I'll be getting a pre-release copy of it within the next few days. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 477
Davey please keep the group informed about this update...I've been waiting for this fix for about a month now.

Username: Jat101

Post Number: 1
according to a letter dated 10/3/05 from the Nat'l Cable & Tele. Assoc. to the FCC, "The specifications for Multistream CableCARDS and the Multistream CableCARD interface are complete. The M-card" will operate in a backwards compatible, single-stream manner with single stream devices; or in the multi-stream manner with multi-stream devices....It is expected that multistream CableCARDS will be widely available for use in commercially available commercial devices by mid-2006, and will be supported by MSOs"
IN OTHER WORDS...... don't buy any of the current sets with single-stream cards - tell your dealer to send them back to the manufacturers and wait for the new multistream enabled LCD's and Plasmas in mid-2006.

DaveyWavey
Unregistered guest
"don't buy any of the current sets with single-stream cards"

This is a function of the card, not the set. The sets don't come with cards, instead they come with a card slot that will operate with a card provided by your cable company. And the "backwards compatible" statement leads me to believe older single-stream cards will still work albeit with lesser functionality.

BTW, still awaiting my update from Toshiba. Apparently the release date was pushed back but mine is "in the mail." I'll keep you posted.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 495
Davey, yes they should have already sent you the software update by now, all of the ones in my area that received the upgrade are working properly now.
On the other note about the directional capability of your current systems...the TV's are 1-way, the CC's are 2-way compliant. As soon as the 2-way version TV's are on the market and your cable provider has all the hardware to communicate with these new devices everything is ready to go from the CC side of things. The function of the card doesn't care what it's plugged into, if it's a 1-way device you get 1-way service. If it's a 2-way device it know's what to do from there. If you check out CableLabs' website you'll see they've already approved some 2-way devices. When they'll be available to the general buying public remains a mystery.

DaveyWavey
Unregistered guest
So the Toshiba update showed up yesterday (software version 1.2.8) and I installed it.

It seemed to fix the problem of losing sound on local channels, and we can now consistently view local HD channels with sound, but we still can't access the digital channels we're paying for above channel 100. Frustrating.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 497
Davey,
Oddly enough I've got two customers reporting the same problem. Stay tuned

Unregistered guest
I've been reading the posts here, but can't exactly find my problem. I just bought a Sony Wega (KDFE50A10). Cablevision tried to install their CableCard, but I got only analog channels. For digital channels the station IDs came up but screen was black (No Signal). Cablevision says they've seen this before its a Sony problem they need to replace the back of the unit. Sony says through on-screen diagnostics that it shows no errors, its a Cablevision problem, they need to update the firmware on their modules. Can anyone help? Who should I contact next?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 504
Ron,
Get into your CableCARD CP info screen, and report back with the data that is there please. As for what to do next... Keep plugging away at Cablevision, take it as high up as you need to. The FCC mandate compliance with these devices, if Sony is telling you they don't believe there are any problems based on your diagnostic screen information I would trust what they are telling you. In some cases it might help you if you can get a contact name for a supervisor at your cable provider and see if somebody from Sony tech support can contact them and work out your problem. It's very easy for finger pointing when the other person is not there to defend themselves. Getting the two parties involved working together usually produces a working product.
On a side note, what type of CableCard does Cablevision use, SA or Motorola? If it is SA, there is a reported problem with the KDF-E42A10 and KDF-E50A10 where digital channels may be missing, that does require a hardware correction in your TV. Usually you will get some sort of error code indicating that problem, and again this only applies to SA cards that I'm aware of.
Keep us posted

RonL
Unregistered guest
Thanks for responding. Cablevision gave me a NDS VideoGuard CableCARD made by SCM Microsystems. As for CP info, I'm not sure what you are referring to. When I go to WEGA/Applications/CableCard, the choices are: Conditional Access, Host/CableCARD Binding, Network Interface, Copy Protection, Host Generic Diagnostics, and SCM BIOS Diagnostics.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 507
No problem Ron,
The Copy Proction is the CP screen I was referring to. Go to a digital channel and then go to that screen and report the data as it appears. Never heard of the NDS VideoGuard/SCM Microsystems, but it's a CC, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Unregistered guest
Looking at this thread, you were trying to help someone named Chuck out and asked for his CP info which wasn't right, and I get the same types of lines that he is getting (hex numbers, CCI values). What lines/info specifically are you looking for me to get ? Note I can't respond with numbers until I get home at night. Thanks.

DaveyWavey
Unregistered guest
"Davey, Oddly enough I've got two customers reporting the same problem. Stay tuned"

Thanks, cableguy. I will stay tuned as this is rapidly becoming my only source of info for this issue.

BTW, after a few days of use I see that the intermittent losing sound issue is still there albeit not as frequent. I've also noticed that after the update the remote seems very sluggish. There seems to be a pause of a few seconds after hitting any key on the remote whereas it used to be almost instant response.

Mike0607
Unregistered guest
Cableguy

Looking at the issue report from Sony, it does not identify the problem as being exclusive to SA cards. It does however say the problem is losing digital channels that had been viewable before the set was turned off, but not when turned back on. If channels can be restored by doing a CC reset via TV menu, and set was manufactured OCT 2005 or earlier, owner should contact Sony. No error code, screen says "Signal cannot be decoded". Several other things in the report, but those are the main points.

Given my biggest gripe with manufacturers is lack of information, I felt I should pass on what we had from Sony. Does not sound like it will help the fellow with the Cablevision card, but may be useful to someone else.

Mike0607
Unregistered guest
Sorry, forgot to add the 2 models Sony identified were the KDF-E42A10, and KDF-E50A10.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 508
Mike,
Thanks for the update, contrary to the report there have been error messages on these models, not saying the error is related to the missing digital channels issue, but have seen error message on these models. One point of interest is to make sure people recognize when an error message occurs, and if (like the Sony report indicates) it can be corrected by using the reset feature in the CC menu. What you said about manufacturer's "lack of information" is a good topic. IMHO I think it's because they don't want to put out there are faults with their systems, think about it...would you want to pay $6,000 for a TV that you know is going to have a problem? Odds are you wouldn't. To back this logic up, if you call into them to report a problem and they already know about it, and have already come up with a solution: wouldn't that indicate they knew the problem enough in advance to recall the TV's before they were sold to the general public, so you wouldn't have to deal with service repair calls on your brand new toy? I will say this much as a person, not a cableguy, the technology is great once you get past all of the bugs. Both the cable side of things and the TV side of things. Getting past the bugs shouldn't be something a consumer should have to deal with.
Keep the faith

Username: Jbw

I just got a Pioneer 5060 HD. Initially i had it hooked up to the cablebox and everything was basically OK. Cablevision then came out to install the CC and now I don't get stereo on the HD channels and most of the premium channels.Also this new model has TV guide which is supposed to replace the Cablevision channel guide which you get only with the box. Of course this doesn't work. Cablevison doesn't know what I am talking about and Pioneer says the set is fine but Cablevision is blocking part of the signal. Pioneer says the TV guide is supposed to come across as an analog signal on PBS, but Cablevision must be blocking it. Pioneer enginnering is supposedly looking into this, but it has been 3 weeks without an answer. Pioneers says they made some of the Scientific America equipment , so they know some people at Cablevision, but still no one knows how to make the TV Guide work. I noticed that this new feature was on a number of the new models of a few different brands. No one knows what happened to my stereo sound and both sides are blaming each other.

Anybody have any ideas on these 2 problems.

Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Hi Cableguy,
I'm having Sony come out on Monday just to check things out so will let you know. As for Copy Protection screen, here's what I get:
Current Status:
Waiting for CCI exchange
Current CCI calue: 00

CableCARD ID (hex): 00 00 00 01 00 00 11 4C
HOST ID (hex): 01 C0 11 D2 B4

Validated CableCARD (hex): 00 00 00 01 00 00 11 4C
Validated HOST ID (hex): 01 C0 11 D2 B4
Validation EMM Since boot: none

Username: Jbrooks4002

Post Number: 6
Cableguy,

I emailed you before, but want to see if you have any new ideas. I have a Philips 32" LCD. I got the first cable card provided to be my cablevision working for a few hours (all channels, HD too), but then the next day the screen got stuck on "Cable Card firmware upgrade in progress". Since then, I have had four technicians and three new cards and the same thing happens over and over again. The card goes in, a messsage says "Cable Card detected" and then goes to the screen "Cable Card firmware upgrade in progress" and stays forever. Philips has the latest software updated- I know that for sure via the diagnostics page. I cannot get access to the cablecard applications screen since the card isnt initializing. I have been on the phone with Philips and they say perhaps SA cards are the problem. Cablevision is sending out a "Foreman" to check the problem but they told me that SA cards are incompatible with some TVs. I dont buy that BS. I told them that I spent a few thousand dollars to have a cable card TV based on the fact that they are advertising their cablecard product and they didnt have a disclaimer saying that their cards dont work with the following sets.... Anyways, any other ideas that I can communicate to the "Foreman"? I am going to try to get in contact with SA today as well.

THanks,

Jim

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
"I'm having Sony come out on Monday just to check things out so will let you know. As for Copy Protection screen, here's what I get:
Current Status:
Waiting for CCI exchange
Current CCI calue: 00

CableCARD ID (hex): 00 00 00 01 00 00 11 4C
HOST ID (hex): 01 C0 11 D2 B4

Validated CableCARD (hex): 00 00 00 01 00 00 11 4C
Validated HOST ID (hex): 01 C0 11 D2 B4
Validation EMM Since boot: none"

This appears to be some kind of "handshake" problem with your TV and cable provider's head end. The host/CableCARD pairing information looks correct but the TV is not receiving its conditional access authorization and corresponding copy protection flag (e.g. CCI byte value 0x00 (no copy protection) 0x02 (potential copy protection based upon the ECM (entitlement control message) value)). Most likely there is a coding error with your account at your cable providers head-end.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
" just got a Pioneer 5060 HD. Initially i had it hooked up to the cablebox and everything was basically OK. Cablevision then came out to install the CC and now I don't get stereo on the HD channels and most of the premium channels.Also this new model has TV guide which is supposed to replace the Cablevision channel guide which you get only with the box. Of course this doesn't work. Cablevison doesn't know what I am talking about and Pioneer says the set is fine but Cablevision is blocking part of the signal. Pioneer says the TV guide is supposed to come across as an analog signal on PBS, but Cablevision must be blocking it. Pioneer enginnering is supposedly looking into this, but it has been 3 weeks without an answer. Pioneers says they made some of the Scientific America equipment , so they know some people at Cablevision, but still no one knows how to make the TV Guide work. I noticed that this new feature was on a number of the new models of a few different brands. No one knows what happened to my stereo sound and both sides are blaming each other.

Anybody have any ideas on these 2 problems.

Thanks."

Digital Cable Ready TV's using a CableCARD will support only those digital services that are authorized by the cable provider's head-end. Most cable providers "copy protect" their digital content, which disables a TV's onboard digital interface(s) (e.g. optical audio, IEEE 1394 FireWire). Generally you will not receive "Conditional Access" authorization for any digital channels other than your local stations.

The EPG (electronic program guide) feature of your TV relies on TVGOS data being passed as part of the digital program content. The information is there but many cable providers filter it out which renders your TV's EPG capability useless.

Post Number: 2
Thank you for the response and explanation. Do you think it is possible to get Cablevision to understand this and enable optical audio and TVGOS?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
I don't know. I can't get my cable provider to modify their "Conditional Access" policies, but maybe you'll have better luck with yours.

Check out the boards at avsforum.com for more information & timely responses regarding the CableCARD issues CATV subscribers are experiencing.

Unregistered guest
Cableguy,
Much thanks for your advice on on CableCard problem I was having these recent weeks. After much back and forth between Sony and Cablevision, and even though no error codes ever showed up, a Sony repairman came out and put in a new Q-box, which fixed the problem.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 528
Ron,
Thanks for updating the thread. I'm glad you were able to get the problem resolved, although I'm not sure why you never saw any error message, but live and learn right?

regards,

Unregistered guest
Cableguy

I have a Sharp AQUOS LC-37D6U and service (if it can be called that) with COX. They, COX provide my cable TV, Internet, and phone services.
All have been working well, after a troubling CC install back in May.
Then yesterday I called COX regarding slow speed on the internet connection. They said the would send down some signal to reset my cable modem. Later in the evening (7PM) when the TV was turned back on the message of "firmware update in process...) appeared. It counted down to the 1 hour it said it would take and then seem to work fine (about 10 to 15 seconds) then the message reappeared and started counting down again, and again, and again... Tried un plugging power and same thing. COX in Phoenix area has one guy that I know of (from my expierence in May) that is qualified to fix this stuff. I have read most of the above posts and agree with most on lack of training, blame the TV Mfg, Technology rammed down by Congress, NO $$$$ incentive... CAN YOU HELP?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 551
Scott,
First thing I would recommend is to see if there is a tech supervisor at COX who can verify if a firmware update was initiated by COX for your CC. If they haven't done one, for some reason your CC thinks there is one. One thing you could try is to remove the CC from your TV and leave it out while you let the TV do a channel scan. Once the scan is done and you can check to see if you are able to view local HD channels without the CC in, put the CC back in the TV and see if it continues to try a firmware update. If it does, schedule a service call to replace the card, while they are out there have them check your signal levels and account codes to make sure neither of those is bad. Hope that helps, and of course keep us posted.

jyagnd
Unregistered guest
hey cableguy mabey you can answer me a question
i have a pioneer plasma with a cable card slot and tvgos on cablevision of long island
with the cable card i get no tvgos at all
without the card i get guide data
it seems cablevision went to a digital feed of my guide data provider for tvgos
is there a way that cablevision can tell my card to map to analoge channel 13 instead of maping to the digital channel
without the card channel 13 is analoge with the card they map to a digital channel
is mapping channels a per customer or entire system thing
because if they can map to analoge 13 my tvgos will work with the card
as of right now and the past few weeks cablevision is of no help whatsover they are only told cable card = no ipg i must get a stb to get ipg

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 558
jyagnd,
I would have to say you would be better off asking your provider that question, rather then me. I would also verify with a local FCC contact to see if they are violating any protocol for transmissions. On the surface it kind of defeats the purpose of the CC technology if they are not allowing your TV to do what it was designed to do. Wish I had a better answer for you.

Username: Jyagnd

Thanks cablevision is of no help whatsoever
they basicly dont care or want to help at all
still trying tho

Post Number: 3
I have Pioneer Plazma with CC and "service" from Cablevision. They have no idea of what I am talking about regarding the TVGOS.

In addition, I stopped getting a stereo signal on most stations when I went to CC.

Does anyone have any idea who I can speak to , to get the full service we are entitled to,i.e.: CC with TVGOS and full Dolby digital stereo sound?

I have spoken to Cablevision, Pioneer Engineering and called Gemstar (TVGOS0), with no results.

C. Hall
Unregistered guest
Davey,
You and I have the EXACT same issue. Same television, same problems. I received the SD card from Toshiba yesterday and updated the software. The problems with audio and some channels not coming in returned today. I am certain you feel my frustration. Have you discovered a way to resolve our issue? I am desperate to know!

Thanks,
C. Hall

C. Hall
Unregistered guest
DaveyWavey and cableguy,
Update: I called Toshiba customer support tonight. He confirmed that I have the latest update installed - firmware 1.68, software 1.2.8. He was unable to diagnose further and stated that Toshiba's cable card specialist Paul Cline/Kline? will be calling me in 2-3 business days. I will keep you posted.

Model is 46HM95

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 581
C. Hall~ just curious, what part of the world are you living in. You said your audio and some channels not comming in returned, we're seeing a similar problem here...jury is still out.

Joeseph~ in regards to your TVGOS feature not working, I've read somewhere (here or another forum) where some providers are putting the data for guide on a digital frequency which is causing TVGOS to not get the data it needs. That is an issue that I don't think will be resolved soon, and if it is true, your cable provider is the reason. In our system people with TVGOS get the data, so I know it works. As for the digital audio, that's a source (source being studio or broadcasting network) and a cable provider/TV issue. For example a Mitsubishi TV will allow the digital audio to be passed to a receiver, even thought content protection flags in place will deny other devices like your Pioneer, or some other manufacturer models to pass the audio along. As Optivity has pointed out, and also helped me to figure out who is causing this issue. The networks flag shows for content protection, the cable providers also flag them, and some TV's will pass the audio along, while others won't. I've still never been given a clear answer from my sources as to why a TV will deny audio to be passed along, regardless of the contect protection flags. I understand them not wanting to allow unauthorized duplication of video, but we're talking about surround sound systems...not DVD burners. Anway, good luck in getting the TVGOS issue worked out. It wouldn't hurt to ask a Pioneer service tech to look into why the digital audio is being disabled when content protection flags are in place.

C. Hall
Unregistered guest
cableguy,

near Charlotte, NC

Update: I've yet to receive a call from the Toshiba Cable Card tech, but...everything's working so far - the longest time yet - 3 days!

Here's what we did:
The SD card went in, the software/firmware was updated, the cable card went back in. Everything was fine for a while - I thought it had worked. A few minutes later, the problems returned, so I called the Time Warner number and had the computer refresh my services. The problems went away, but returned shortly thereafter, so I called Toshiba.

Knowing that I had updated the firmware using the SD card, the Toshiba tech asked me to restore the television to factory defaults through the setup menu. Bingo.

So far, so good - like I said, it's been three days. All channels visible. All audio audible. The TV Guide is no longer continually resetting itself for 24 hour updates. Even the remote has lost its sluggish behavior.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. Fear not, if the problems return, I'll let you know.

Any luck on your end, DaveyWavey?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 585
C. Hall~ Thanks for the update.

Username: Brian1117

Can anyone help. I have seen 2 types of this situation and I was wondering if there is a solution. Panasonic plasma th-50px37u, with a Motorola CC. The TV will bring up the pairing info for the CC but when Time Warner sends a hit to it it goes to the blue little screen that say now downloading the information. It stays like this forever. I have tested the line coming into the house and it is fine. Analog works great with the cable card unplugged. Cable box picks up fine as well. I have tried 4 cable caards in one TV then I swapped out the TV for another. The firmware in the TV is the newest version. I tried another 4 cable cards in the new TV and all is the same. Does anyone know a fix for this. I have reset the TV everytime i have changed cards and I have double checked all of the pairing information with Time Warner. THe problem is in Houston. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 590
Has your local provider been in contact with Panasonic about this issue? I don't know anything about the motorola brand CC, as we don't use them, but it sounds like a channel mapping or data error. Have they verified your forward data carrier signal? SNR levels? Maybe somebody that is reading this that has a motorola CC and a Panasonic can fill in the blanks. Wish I could be of more help...

Username: Cabletool

Midwest

My system uses Motos and Pannys were an issue for awhile but it was all on our end. Our issue was unique to our region though ( Chicago)
It is good that you are verifying the info. Switching that many cards and getting a new set on top of all that leaves A LOT of room for error.
If your system has an active CPMS and the host or data are wrong, it will not work.

The missing key might be the type of "activation" hit they are sending the card. A lot of our cards will not activate or "remap" correctly unless given an "INT" hit. ( initialization hit)
There are other threads or procedures that state this hit will burn out a card. I havent seen that happen yet. Any issue Ive ran across the INT hit popped her right in.
( of course this is something you shouldnt have to worry about.. but listen for the buzzwords when the tech or CS agent are working with it)
What area are you in?

Username: Brian1117

Post Number: 2
I am in Houston and a Panny rep and a Time Warner rep are coming out on Monday. I have tied these 2 together before in Houston however I emailed a gentleman that had posted here about the same situation and he said that the Time Warner rep said that he had never gotten the two to work together outside of our downtown area. Which happens to be the spot that I got the last one to work at. We'll see what happens with it and I will let you guys know. Thank You for your responses.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us