Some questions about my Sony GX315

Username: Cwc

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 1
Hi. I recently purchased a GX315 DVD recorder. I hooked it up to my DirecTV HD DVR. I found the unit at BHPHOTO with a great price...$200. I thought this was really great because there was a $50 rebate on top of that. Turns out when it arrived, it had a big orange circular sticker that said DEMO on it. Rebate didn't apply.

I went ahead and hooked it up. It works great. Some observations so far...

I am recording on Verbatum DVD+R DL disks at HQ speed.

1) Do not exceed the recording time limit, (HQ = 1:50). There is no warning, it continues to record. When you attempt to finalize, you get a disk error and it is unusable.

2) It takes about 7 min to finalize.

3) I have trouble loading the disk into another DVD player. Another newer model Sony takes quite a while to load. It displays the foreword symbol, (">") for about a min and then the disk menu appears. After ejecting, it sometimes won't load again. It displays the ">" for 5 min and then says the disk is dirty and needs cleaning. Open the tray and push it back in and it loads OK.

3) My Samsung DVD HD841 player takes about the same time to load, but when it gets to the end of the 1st layer, it freezes the last frame on the screen and hangs.

Are thes problems normal for this model or are they because it is a DEMO model.

Appreciate any information...

Also, The picture is fantastic. The HD recording is in wide screen. So even though you have to record in 480i via the SVideo cable, it plays back with progressive scan so well, I can't tell it isn't HD. It records the Dolby 5.1 surround sound perfectly.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2334
It should finalize a disc in less than 2 minutes. Are you using cheap discs? I wouldn't touch a Sony recorder, but to each his own.

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 3
Hi.

I am using Verbatim 2.5x DVD+R DL. A stack of 20 of them cost $70...(They are inkjet printable).

Are you saying that it should finalize in less than 2 min on a Sony?...or on your unit since you don't use Sony? What do you use? Does it support DL?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2345
It's probably because you're using dual layer discs, most players won't even play them. I don't know how long it takes to finalize DL discs, I don't use them.

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 5
Hi David.

No. ALL dvd players play DL disks. Every movie DVD is DL. They wouldn't be able to get a 2 hour movie on a 4.7gb disk. The dual layers give 8.7 gb density.

That's the reason I wanted the Sony. It is the only one that has DL capability for home use.

They play just fine. They just take a long time to load. Once loaded, they look fantastic...except on my Samsung DVD player. It locks at the end of the 1st layer.

...and, of course, there is no problem loading them and playing them in the GX315.

The whole reason I need DL, is my project is transferring my 20 Super Bowls to DVD. Each game is 6 hours of TV broadcast. Without DL, it would take 6 disks. With DL I only need 3...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2349
Burned dual layer discs are not the same as pressed discs, most players don't play them. If they work at all, consider yourself lucky.

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 6
Hi David.

OK. I consider myself lucky. Actually, I really love what I'm doing.

What I really don't appreciate is people like you. What I was hoping to find, by posting this thread, was people with Sony GX315 experience. Instead, I get this anti-Sony bigott, who hasn't a clue as to what I'm trying to do, you don't even have a good handle on the technology you are whining about... 'nor do you care.

I would really appreciate it if you would simply...bug off...

Let me find someone who gives a damn.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2353
You are the one whining they don't work, I'm telling you why. You don't like the answer, too bad.

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 7
David.

Listen up... They work fine. You haven't told me anything except your anti Sony crap.

You know nothing about DL technology. So why are you boring us with this drivil?

I was trying to find someone who had a clue about this technology...trust me, it isn't you

Do you mind?...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us