51" Panasonic Problem - Resonable $ for fix?

Username: Discostus

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1
Greetings all, we have had very good luck with our 8 year old 51" Panasonic Rear Projection TV. But alas, it has recently begun showing clear signs of an issue.

The Problem:
After watching the TV for what seems to be a "non standard" amount of time (sometimes a 1/2 hour sometimes 2+ hours) the TV will abruptly shut off automatically and not allow you to power it back on. If you leave it overnight unplugged you can power it back up and watch TV just fine again but after an irregular amount of time it will power off. The last time it did this, it actually didn't power off itself. That time it had what I'd describe as white dots dancing in waves from top right of the screen to bottom left. Then, after I shut off the TV it will not power back up again. HELP!

Does anyone have any background on what type of problems / parts this type of issue entails? Is it something pretty common with this age of TV? What would be a "reasonable" charge for fixing this problem if you have any expertise?

We have had very good luck with this TV but don't want to throw good money down the tubes if this is a sign of terrible things to come.

THANK you in advance to anyone who can give me a head's up. :-)

Jason

Unregistered guest
Purchased Toshiba 56hm 195 dlp hd t.v. on 11/23/05. Lamp ruptured on 2/5/06. called Toshiba 2/6/06 said they would ship new lamp 7-10 days. 2/17/06 still have not received lamp called Toshiba they said they would ship new lamp in 10-15 days. they do not have replacement lamps for this ttttt.v. Toshiba has no product support, lamps fail prematurely.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 836
interesting response...

8 years out of a rear projection tv is about what I'd expect... even as few as 5 years. I'd consider getting a new set, who's to say if you fix this problem today another problem won't pop up tomorrow?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us