Looking for New TV

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 64
I am in the market for a new TV, unfortunately I don't have much room for a large screen TV. I eventually plan to get a projector, however again wouldn't work well in my current living room.
I am looking for a TV between 30 & 36 inches. I know I want an HDTV over an HD-ready

So I guess the question would be is an LCD TV better than the CRT?

Which order would the displays rate.. DLP,CRT,LDC,Plasma?

I'm sure that question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the message boards.

Thanks in advance

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 18
HP and Dell both have well rated 32" LCD TV's with built in ATSC tuners $1,500 to $1,800. Sony has a similar model somewhere in their pea-soup bucket of competing models.

I believe after July 1, 2006, all new sets less than 36" must have built-in ATSC tuners - but there will be tons of the older models sitting on dealer shelves.

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 65
I spoke with a friend of mine who said that to get HD programming I'll need some sort of box for my set regardless if it is HD-ready or HD. Something supplied by your cable (or satalite) provider. He uses comcast and they gave him a digital recorder supplied with his subscription that gives him the HD signal. Would this be true that there will already be supplied some sort of box to give me the HD signal?

Should I save some $ and get a HD-monitor. Its tough to find a 32-36" HD TV. Not sure how I feel about LCD.
$1500 is a little out of price range. I could make that happen, but don't want to if it won't make that much of a difference.

Thanks

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
CRT technology has the best HD picture, period. There is no serious debate about that assertion. Other technologies are gaining ground and have installation flexibility advantages.

Username: Tvcable_guy

Post Number: 5
CRT may be old technology but it's still the best picture for the money.

Tech Guy

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
No Tech Guy. It's the best HD picture period, regardless of "the money". You post suggests that if you spend more money on other technologies, the display will be better than CRT. You can do side by side comparisons between the best CRT and the best other technologies have to offer and CRT will win every time. Now if you buy a cheap CRT based set and an expensive LCD, plasma or DLP based unit, granted, the more expensive sets may appear to perform better. But that's comparing apples to oranges.

Bronze Member
Username: The_nerdly_guy

Post Number: 40
I'd recommend this article series:

How To Find the TV that is Right for You.

It's long, but it has great tips and advice. Plus, it covers the advantages and disadvantages of nearly every type of TV in existence. Trust me, it's worth reading.

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
Article suggested by NG is totally worthless-full of relative bullsh*t. In display devices, there is a best. If you are looking for the absolute best picture, CRT is the way to go, period. If picture is secondary, then buy according to your preference or priorities.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us