Archive through December 28, 2005

Bronze Member
Username: Mango_joe

Orlando, Florida Usa

Post Number: 18
tom bong is an idiot

Warrior of Plasma
Unregistered guest
Little late to the party on that chief. It's actually been somewhat habitable here for the last few days after his second consecutive banning. Everyone else has been carrying on like that ugly chapter never happened and trying to get back to doing what this board is for, discussing Rear Projection televisions. Why don't you join us in that and let that sleeping (rabid) dog lie okay?

Username: Mjp16b

Illinois

Post Number: 1
Add one more victim to this group. Bought my 60" KF60WE610 on 11/22/03 and it just started with the grid pattern on 10/10/05. I bought the extended warranty through Circuit City for $599.00. I dreaded buying it because it was the most expensive warranty from any of the retailers at the time. Thought about cancelling several times because everyone says extended warranty's are a scam. For once it's paying off. Called Circuit City warranty department and a local repair joint scheduled an appointment for two weeks from now. Not to happy about the two week delay but I'm sure they put the paying customers first.

Upload
Upload

Username: Villanman

And another
Sony KDF60XBR950.. almost 2 years old. :-(
Upload

Unregistered guest
My TV has these words at the top of it. They say CHSET on the left side and CH60 on the right side. They are so annoying!! (Always in the way of Morgan Web's face and inconvenient during vid games) What can I do about it?

Unregistered guest
We are having the same problem with our 42" Sony have an estimate from the repair man and it comes to $2100 for that money we can purchase a new tv called Sony faxed them the estimate with the bill of sale told me they would call me within 5 working days as you can very wel imagen I have not heard from them at all so I have sent them three faxes but still no answer. I will not pay for the repairs so I will keep calling and faxing Sony.

BobTV
Unregistered guest
Update. My estimate for repairs was $930.00 for a new optic assembly, $295.00 for labor, and $76.73 for tax. I faxed Sony this info and they said they would get back to me in 48 business hours. I also told them that I understood the TV was out of warranty, so I was willing to bear the labor charge if they could cover the $930.00 part. I had spoken with some of my lawyer friends previously and they said unles an extremeley high precentage of these units were having this problem, I would not have much of a chance to have them cover the entire bill. Thus I came up with the idea to cover the labor charge myself. Sure enough, they called back 48 business hours later. They said they would cover the part and I would only be responsible for the labor. I could have pressed for the entire repair bill, but it seems to me that it is fair to have me cover the labor charge considering the TV is out of warranty. This may not be the ideal resolution, but I think it is acceptable considering the circumstances. Now my lamp will probably go out because this darn TV is always on! That I can deal with, even light bulbs go out. My advice to everyone, is stay cool and polite, get to the next level of tech support at Sony and offer the deal I did after you get an estimate and simply challenge Sony to stand behind their product. Sony is aware of this website and the more people who call in, the more likely we can get our TVs fixed......

Dr. Luis Olivari
Unregistered guest
I am having the same yellow spots problem with the KF50WE610 I bought about 1.9 months ago. The spot appeared suddenly about 3 weeks ago and a Sony technician told me by phone that for sure it was the "optic module". Mine is out or warranty. I hope Sony will stand behind this product and offer an acceptable deal for its customers.

Post Number: 2
Luckily I purchased a 5 year extended Warranty. The only down side is that no where in my area will do "in home repair" on Sonys. Warranty people even told me if I could find someone they would try to use them if authorized for Sonys but I found no one. They had to come get it, so I've been without mine all week and counting waiting on the part to come in.

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 29
I have a friend that had the same problem with the road map of lines. He contacted sony and they agreed to let him trade it in for a brand new model for $600.00. His TV was 2yrs old and had no warranty.

Anonymous

I'm having the same yellow lines. Lower right corner. Just started yesterday, but it seems to be a little bigger today. Called the warranty people at Good Guys....they told me to unplug it for a while then call back if it doesn't reset. Based on what I see here, I doubt that this will work. TV was purchased in Jan 2004.
Did anyone that had this problem find the correct solution?

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 181
im kinda glad now that i didnt get the 70"
sony. all the sony products ive owned have
been bulletproof tho.

Annemarie
Unregistered guest
Up-date:
After all my faxes and all my calls I called Sony back on friday and here is the deal they offered me they will pay for half of the repair cost the cost of repair is $2,200 when I told him that I am not the only one with this problem he denied that and said that any one can put anything on the internet and that they were very generous to pay for half. I told him that I could not accept that that they knew that they had a problem with their optical box because in 2004 they build a better one of course that was all denied so the conclusion is that Sony does not stand behind their product and I am very sorry I ever bought one

Unregistered guest
Add me to the List as well. KF-50WE610 approx. 1.9 months old. etch-a-scketch crap showed up the other day. I've read others here who claim they've resolved the issue by leaving the TV on for a day or two. The "Roadmap" is said to slowly disapear over that duration. I'll give it a try but am not a happy camper about this.I paid a premium for this set and thought I was buying a quality product, not a name. Anyone here have a phone number & name of a sony contact I can negotiate with? Thanks. Would be interested in class action if that is organized.

Post Number: 3
Mine didn't come close to going away even after a week. It may change form and a few stray lines might disappear, but the main spot never budged, if anything it got worse. The only solution I know of is to replace the optical block/light engine. Mine is still in the shop waiting for that part to come in.

Post Number: 4
This is how it changed after a week. Top pic is when it first reared it's ugly head, Second pic is a week later before it went to the shop. Upload
Upload

Unregistered guest
Well...I tried the "Leave the set on for a couple days thing"......didn't help anything. Made a call to sony and set up an event id #. They said they'd call me back...I'm holding my breath, maybe they will work with me as well. I'll keep updated with my progress.

Jim Kelley
Unregistered guest
WoW...I guess this thread answers my previous question about the Sony Wega KDFE42A10 42"...

BobTV
Unregistered guest
Make sure you reference this website to let them see the pictures. It helps. And make sure you get to the second level support people...... I got my TV back afer about 10 days after starting the whole process. I am actually pretty happy about all it considering everything.

steve_kurz
Unregistered guest
I was thinking of buying a Sony 42" LCD projection TV, model KDFE42A10. Anybody have any known problems with this TV or is there any word that the problems documented with the display are corrected in this version? Costs for this set is approx $2,000 and I believe it is there latest and greatest model.

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 108
Hard to say, the set is too new to know if will exhibit the same problem the 655 and 955s do. Safest bet would be to get the extended warranty, the problem seems to take 1.5 to 2 years to show up, well outside of manufacturers warranty.

Username: Mjp16b

Illinois

Well they came and picked it up on the 25th so lets see how long before I get it back. The service guys said they never seen anything like it before. I printed up the posts from this forum and sent them with the TV to the repair shop, hopefully it will help....

sexymoo
Unregistered guest
I've got the same problem with my KDF-60WF655. It is an irregular yellow lattice (criss cross) pattern in the bottom center of my TV, and it looks just like the pictures other people have included. I've had the TV just under a year, and just saw the problem yesterday when I turned the TV on.

I do not subject the TV to excessive temperatures or use. In fact, I really don't even touch the TV at all.

I called an authorized SONY dealer to ask about the problem, and the technician told me he had seen this problem before, and performed the necessary repair. He said that the problem is a defective LCD panel, but that in order to repair the problem, the entire optical assembly must be replaced, which costs $1500.

I am still concerned that the new optical assembly might suffer from the same problem at some point down the road, but the technician assured me that the defect is rare. I got lucky that my failure occurred within one year, but if this new optical assembly fails I'm sure I'll be angry like most of you.

Good luck, all.

dferlisi
Unregistered guest
Well, I contacted sony 2nd level support and explained to them that I was 99.99% certain the problem was with the optical assembly and that this problem seemed to be fairly common. I made reference to this website & that some customers had received the replacement part free from sony. I offered to pay for the labor if they would supply the part. The tech said they would have to have an authorized service tech assess that that was indeed the problem before they would commit to anything. $84 for an assessment just to tell sony what I already know & another $180 for the labor to replace the part. I guess I have to play their game & see if they'll stand behind their product. The outcome of this will certainly determine future purchases of sony products. I'll keep ya informed as to how things work out.

Old ET -Don
Unregistered guest
Our KF42 -42" looks like Michaels from Illinois. Same quadrant, same color, virtually the same pattern. I wrote and called Sony and I have a reference number from Sony and repair service twenty some miles away. However, I called the Sony Repair service and they said to bring it in for evaluation, as they did not want to come out. I'm really upset with Sony as dragging our TV in to the shop doesn't appeal to me. Do you think Sony would send the parts to me and I install it? I mean how hard can it be?

Unregistered guest
I bought a Grand Wega KF-42WE610 in Oct. 2003. This past August the red lines showed up. It took four months to get SONY to agree to fix the problem: I pay labor, they provide the part (Optical Engine). This is a beautiful picture; watching football on this thing is awesome. However, SONY has a problem they need to fix. Be firm and polite when discussing this issue with SONY. Be specific in asking them to replace the part at no charge. Get an estimate from your authorized SONY repair facility and then fax to SONY customer service when requested. Dealers act as though they know nothing about this problem--SURE!

Old ET -Don
Unregistered guest
Thanks John, and I have a few options like trading this one in on a newer model, or it might make a beautiful planter in the front yard, as I may get curious and lierally tear it a part just to see what makes it tick. Before I can get it evaluated, I need something to replace the hole it will leave as my wife will be pointing the remote at the hole and cursing me at work! I have been most pleasant in my messages and conversations with Sony, and thanks again.

Unregistered guest
Yesterday, out of the blue, I turned on my Sony 42-inch LCD Projection TV and experienced the very same type of problem. A yellow, grid-like circuitboard patten appeared as soon as I turned the TV on. Mine however is larger than any of the pictures shown on this forum and stretches across the lower middle portion of the screen in a "w" pattern.

I'll post a picture once I locate where my wife put the digital camera.

I'm fortunate that I purchased the extended warranty from Circuit City. What concerns me most is that I purchased the TV only five months ago in June. All of the other TVs mentioned here seemed to have failed after a year and a half.

I have contacted Circuit City's warranty dept. and must wait for a repairman to contact me, set up an appointment, come out, find out the problem take it in for repair, wait for the part, fix it, then get it back to me. This could conceivably take a month, and I'm still making payments on the unit. I am tempted to take the TV back to the store and demand another one citing the unit's "newness" and this post as evidence of a recurring problem. I'll update when I decide my nest course of action.

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 114
Good luck with that, after thirty days that puppy is YOURS. CC would be a fool to let you just exchange your f'ed up set for a brand new one.

Post Number: 5
Update:After 3 weeks in the shop waiting on the part, I finally got my TV back fixed. Again I'm Glad I got the extended warranty because this time it really paid off. The receipt total was $1543.15,
$1187.49 is what they charged for the light engine/optics block.

Username: Hillboy

Post Number: 8
mine went bad after 5 months

doug j.
Unregistered guest
i've had my tv for 2 yrs. now...only issue was early lamp burn-out which was replaced for free. turned on my tv last night and now have a green pixel (about the size of a pin-head) on screen. calling circuit city tomorrow.

tbentz
Unregistered guest
I have had my 50" grand wega for two years. I have had no problems until last week when I got the same yellowish/greenish blotches shown on this forum. I got a repair estimate for $970.00. I am presently in negotiations with Sony to at least provide the parts, which is the hunk of the bill. We;ll see what they do. I also provided them this website so they can see how many other people are affected. Otherwise, it has been a great TV.

randal
Unregistered guest
ok- add another WE655
Looking for my reciept now. Did'nt buy extended. I think it's less than 1 year old.

Unregistered guest
I have a KDP-57XBR2 that all of a sudden is blue screening. It is the big projection and it seems that the red and green shut off after one minute of turning on. Any thoughts?

bfcj
Unregistered guest
Sony 50" Grand WEGA, ~2 years old, same splotching problem showed up a few weeks ago. I have been out of town, so no chance to look into repair. Considering all the problems I had with the bulb in the first couple of months, I was an idiot to keep it. Guess I'm committed now, though. If I can't get Sony to work with me on it, I'll be donating it and looking for another product, by another mgf.

jimfillmore
Unregistered guest
UPDATE-
I didn't want to post this until the work was done but, I finally got sony to agree to replace my optical block unit. Bobtv is correct. Get to that next level of Customer support, Be polite and don't let them get you off the phone. I offered to pay for the labor if they supplied the part and that is exactly what they did. $180.00. Much better than my original quote of $1100.00. My picture looks great again. Be persistent and keep calling them. Good luck.

Username: Doodaa

I own a KDF50WE655 (approx. 10 months old). Has anyone experienced problems with the projection lamp burn out on these units if a power failure occured while the tv was on?

tbentz
Unregistered guest
I also got Sony to pay for the optic assembly while I pay labor. $150 is much better than $1000. You need to get to the second level of customer service and they will help you. Be polite but persistent. I am a loyal Sony customer and it paid off. Good luck everyone.

bfcj
Unregistered guest
The most infuriating part is Sony Customer Service insistence that there are "no known problems" with these models. What do they hope to accomlish by that? Is anyone who gives up and pays $1000 to repair this going to buy a Sony product ever again?

bfcj
Unregistered guest
Jack Black,

I haven't had that experience, but I keep mine on a UPS for just that reason. Just a cheap one big enough to run the fan until it cools down.

Username: Doodaa

bfcj:
What UPS model are u using? The cheapest I've found at local stores here is almost $100.

Anonymous

I have a Sony KDF-E42A10, less than 2 years old. The TV gets minimal to average use...maybe 2 to 3 hours a day. I've had to replace the lamp once already...and now in the last few days this stupid yellow roadmap has appeared. I've yet to begin to deal with it and am now seeing that I am not the only one. It seems strange how this appears to be a similar pattern, color and location on the TV's.

Post Number: 6
Less than 2 years? I Would Say So. You could also say less than 6 months. The Sony KDF-42A10 hasn't been out that long.

Username: Smysore

Winnipeg, Mb Canada

-Same problem KF50WE610 - 50" Grand WEGA, nearly 2 years old
-Daughter noticed "purple lines" several weeks ago on left lower corner when watching full screen picture(this area is hidden when watching normal TV which shows picture in centre and black bands on R and L side.
-it is green color on black background, bright purple on white background
-apparently was larger in size at beginning several weeks ago and is now smaller - about 4x4inches
-called sony(canada)they said local tech has to look at problem and give report. They implied that they dont know much
-told them numerous cases mentioned on internet and photos are the same and this is said to be a "optical block" problem. Also told them sony has provided the part free to some people or allowed some to exchange TV's for a fee.
-they said that a tech HAD to look at it BUT they also said that it was expensive to fix and the techs report and my original bill has to be sent to their "support team" which would make a decision within 10 days.

dferlisi
Unregistered guest
Well after numerous calls to sony support they have agreed to provide the optical assembly for free with me picking up the tab for labor. They issisted that the set be assessed first by an authorized sony repair shop to determine the problem before they would agree to anything. All in all it will cost me about $250 to have it repaired. much better than having to pay for an $900 part + labor. My set is almost 2 yrs old & out of warranty but they still worked with me on this. Be persistant, assertive, reasonable & state that you'd like sony to replace the part while agreeing to pay for labor and they will eventually comply. Sony support number is: 1-800-222-7669. Good luck.

dferlisi
Unregistered guest
For the record....the blob on my screen looks identical (I'm talking "exactly") to Villanman's pic except that it's mirrored over on the left side of the screen. It started of with a larger "X" towards the top which disappeared over a short time then the bottom blob got "thicker" and more condensed.

gentry
Unregistered guest
Well i posted about 70 messages ago and said i would post the resolution - so true to my word it was resolved today (after 4 months). The part that was replaced was the light engine, which the tech told me was a $1500 part (and it was a refurb). Two days after install, another spot appeared. The local service co. said that they would put an order in for the part. After about 4 weeks of waiting they said they had so many of these parts on order that they were thinking about dropping this repair altogether (which said alot to me). Finally, CircuitCity agreed to replace the tv (which was delivered today). It is supposed to be an upgraded model (I had a KDF55WF655 and this new one is KDFE55A20) but i need to research whether it is actually an upgrade or not. Very frustrating - and i feel sorry for those of you out of warranty as it seems to be an expensive repair.

Good luck to all

Unregistered guest
I bought my sony 42 rear projection lcd tv in May 2005. Last month my wife notice thier are some round colour patchs 2.5cm dia. in green and purple. Can someone tell me what is the cause ? My retailer came yesterday to pick it up for repair, when I told them the problem. They seems to know all about it already. Will it be a manufacture fault?

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 90
ironpho, what model do you have?

bfcj
Unregistered guest
I just got back from a long biz trip, and now have time to address this issue. I decided to try the "leave it on for a couple of days" problem and see if it would work. What did I have to lose, right? Well, believe it or not, it seems to be working. Left it on yesterday, spent the night away, and came home this morning to find far fewer segments in the pattern. I had apparently lost power at some point (thankfully I had UPS on TV), so the video source was out, no idea for how long. Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out. Btw, tried to post a picture of the blemish, but couldn't attach anything larger than 1kb. How are you guys getting pictures on here?

Jack Black, I got a cheap PC UPS on sale at CompUSA (~ $30).

sexymoo
Unregistered guest
bfcj,

I think you will find that if you leave your TV on, you will notice a reduction in the error pattern. However, it won't completely go away. This is what I noticed. Might save you some time and frustration.

All - Last week I was able to get a SONY repairman to fix this same problem with my TV. I was told that the part (the "optical assembly," or "light engine") costs $1500-$2000. Fortunately for me, my TV was under warranty. The technician also told me that the problem was a defective part, and not a faulty design - though after reading all of your posts, I have my doubts. I am very much hoping that my new light engine is not defective.

Good luck, all.

ironpho
Unregistered guest
JimkW

Sony KF42SX300U

This is a UK model!

Shaz
Unregistered guest
hey I have a KDF-42WE655. Ever since I bought it, its always had the image "shifted up". Whenever im watching tv there is a black bar about half an inch thick across the bottom. The Tv is watchable but it is pretty annoying. when im watching a letterboxed widescreen dvd the problem becomes pretty clear. the bottom black letterbox is much bigger than the top letterbox. sony has sent over a local technician twice already who tried readjusting the mirror the first time and replacing a part called the B-Board the second time, still didnt fix it. hes going to try replacing the optical block in a couple of days. he was on the phone with a sony tech who guided him through the onscreen service menu, one or two settings seemed to fix it but he couldnt figure out how to save the settings. has anyone else had this problem? Also does anyone know where I could get a copy of the service manual??

Shaz
Unregistered guest
hey I have a KDF-42WE655. Ever since I bought it, its always had the image "shifted up". Whenever im watching tv there is a black bar about half an inch thick across the bottom. The Tv is watchable but it is pretty annoying. when im watching a letterboxed widescreen dvd the problem becomes pretty clear. the bottom black letterbox is much bigger than the top letterbox. sony has sent over a local technician twice already who tried readjusting the mirror the first time and replacing a part called the B-Board the second time, still didnt fix it. hes going to try replacing the optical block in a couple of days. he was on the phone with a sony tech who guided him through the onscreen service menu, one or two settings seemed to fix it but he couldnt figure out how to save the settings. has anyone else had this problem? Also does anyone know where I could get a copy of the service manual??

Anonymous

Any idea if this screen problem will affect the KDFxxxxA10 models just out this year?

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 94
I just bought the 52A10 and this thread is the reason why I spent $400+ on an extended in-home warranty. Plus the fact that it covers lamps also. The problem does not seem to show up for about two years, so you will not see it yet on the xxA10 models. I'm hoping sony has resolved the problem on this model.

Unregistered guest
I have a sony 1.4 yrs old - no picture, green light at first followed by 5 red flashes on power/standby followed by constant red light on power/standby - no picture and I can't get video inputs to switch, can't get tv audio to do anything - just dead - any thoughts??

Username: Skippymagoo

Jupiter, FL USA

I just bought the KDF-E42A10 7 days ago.
Manufactured Oct. 2005.
Has anyone seen this same problem yet with this model? Also, the picture quality seems to be not so great with heavy motion scenes, 1080i is worse than 780p. I can still take this back for a full refund or exchange and I did buy a 5 year extended warranty. Thanks!

Tom R
Unregistered guest
Hi

I have a 60 inch sony LCD and I ended up with a magenta street map after 7 months. I also have a 55 inch LCD and I am now worried that I have two losers from SONY! If you are thinking or buying DON'T!!!!!!

Unregistered guest
I just got the pixel problem that looks like a street map as pictured at the beginning of this forum. I've been around and around with Sony about this. What they need to do is replace the part free of charge. They said they would pay for half the cost of the part leaving me the other half and all of the Labor charges(roughly $800.00). The only fix is to replace the entire optical assembly (Part#A1605853A) this part being for the KF-50WE610 mind you. This failed at approximately 23 months. I believe we have a possible class action suit on this. My next step is to notify the local news agencies.

Popo
Unregistered guest
Good luck with that. Fact is you accepted the liability for parts and labor after the warrantee period expired. Unless you yourself are a lawyer willing to waste countless hours and expense basically pi$$ing up a legal rope you won't ever even get a day in court. And even if you did you know what your settlement will amount to? A discount coupon on a Sony LCD.

Tom R
Unregistered guest
Hi, I would be glad to join in on any class action suit against SONY! It is obvious that there are issues with the design or the manufactering process.

Buy a regular SONY TV and you may expect to get 7-12 years from it. Buy one of their expensive LCDs and get less than 7 months!!!! The thing that bugs me is that you expect to pay dearly for a lamp replacement but you never expect that you bought a piece of junk with these optical failures!!!! You would think that they would at least stop selling them but I guest greed has no limits!!!

SickofSony
Unregistered guest
New KDF-E42A10 models have the same problem! I bought my Sony KDF-E42A10 42" on October 1st, 2005. Less than two months later, I turn it on (just this morning) and the entire lower right-hand part of the screen is covered in a purple-reddish road-map looking thing, very similar to many of the pictures here.

I found this thread when typing in "KDF-E42A10 problems." I'm glad I did before calling Sony.

***So, to anyone wondering (and plenty in this thread have been) -- the NEW Sony LCD rear projection models appear to have the exact same problem.***

Sony has known about it all this time and did NOTHING. I really wish I would have stuck with my 27" Toshiba for a few more years until they get these HDTVs working properly (before the Sony I owned a 42" Samsung DLP, which had horrible geometry problems, bad lip-sync and intolerable rainbow effects).

I wish the TV would have broken within the first 30 days so I could have taken it back to Circuit City and gotten a refund. What's the deal with HDTV? It seems like they've been making them long enough to work out some of the more glaring problems. I never thought I'd buy a 42" HDTV, only to long for the days of a 27" CRT.

Anyone notice Sick of Sony equals SOS? There is a major class-action lawsuit against the company brewing here, if a lawyer is willing to take it. I think the same goes for Samsung ("Sick of Samsung" also equals SOS) and the lip-synching problems that are common and unresolved on their HDTVs.

Can anyone tell me if a NON-projection LCD monitor type HDTV television (I'm looking at a 37") has known problems, or if they're pretty steady? I want HDTV without all the headaches.

Tom R
Unregistered guest
Hi, Eric

I would take it back for a refund. It will be nothing but problems!

Unregistered guest
I have the same road map looking pattern on my KF-42WE610. It just showed up last week. I bought mine on 4/18/2004. It bought it as an open box from Ultimate Electronics. Luckily I bought the 5 year extended warranty. I also had a bulb go out after only owning the TV for 3 months. I talked to Sony today and they acted like this was the first they had ever heard of this defect. I will be contacting the extended warranty place tomorrow.

Anonymous

Okay,okay forget Sonys! What do you all recommend in a flat LCD? Is there ANY decent 32" model/brand out there or should I just wait? How long will it be til these things are dependable??

Sony must Pay
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony KFWE610 with the exact same problem that has been mentioned so many times on this board. The same circuit board like pattern is on the lower left hand side of my screen. Fortunately I do have an extended warranty which I am pretty sure will cover this problem. My issue is why Sony will not admit that there is a problem with these TV's and address the issue. I thought perhaps a replacement with a newer model would be the answer but now I see recent postings sayint that the same problem exists in the newer models. I have sent and email to Sony expressing my dissatisfaction with how they have handled this problem (or should i say What Problem?, since Sony will not admit there is a problem). Originally I felt maybe if they would replace my TV with the newer model since mine is 2 yrs old perhaps the new ones would not have this issue, now I see that even the new models apparently are having the same problem. I'm ready to call the Toronto Star, City Pulse news, CBC and whoever else would be willing to give Sony some serious bad PR. They cannot get away with robbing so many of us of thousands of our hard earned dollars! Who else is willing to join me in spreading the news....DO NOT BUY A SONY LCD PROJECTION TV!!! IT WILL LAST YOU 1 or 2 YRS MAX!!!

Here is the email that I sent Sony and the response I have recieved so far....I'll see what they have to say, if they actually do address my concerns....

I have a 50" LCD projection (KF50WE610) that is about 2 yrs old and have recently had a problem that appears to the be optical board/unit. I've discovered that many people have had this same problem as shown on the following internet site....https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/137540.html. My television looks very much like the 2nd picture on the website, kind of a circuit board looking pattern, green in colour and it changes sizes. I do have a third party extended warranty which I am assuming will cover this problem. My question is why Sony has not recognized a problem with these televisions seeing that there have been many cases of this happening. Also what kind of part will be replacing the old part, should I expect this to happen again in 2 yrs? Somehow I feel Sony as a large multinational company should do something for people who have spent thousands of dollars for these televisions and are having major problems after such a short period of time. My main concern is not for the present time but for the future when I could be faced with this same problem without any warranty. Obviously if there is a major problem Sony must have made changes to the newer models and therefore should be offering people with this problem a trade in for the newer model. At the time we purchased this TV it was $4000 and now obviously the prices have come down drastically and the 55" even costs less than this. Any replacement should be of similar value to the original value of my TV I would think. Up to now I thought this was a great TV but now I have lost my confidence in Sony products and I'm sure many others with this kind of problem are feeling the same. Sony does not need the kind of bad PR that we could give them and should be trying to regain our confidence. I would simply like to be albe to enjoy my television while not having to be concerned that it may break down again in the near future. In the meanwhile I am hoping that the warranty will cover this repair but am really not satisfied that Sony has not come forward and posted something with regards to this problem. I would appreciate hearing from Sony to hear what can be done regarding this matter.

Response.....
Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.

We have transferred your question to a resource better equipped to handle your inquiry. Please understand that this process may take a few days. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience.

Wishing you a happy holiday season!

Thank You,

Your Sony Email Response Team
Online Support and Services Centre
Sony of Canada, Ltd.
CP79
Manaswi

bfcj
Unregistered guest
Just got a message from Sony support today. They say they'll sell me the part at cost. I guess maybe this is getting expensive for them. As much as I liked the TV, there's no way I'm going to drop another $600 into it to have it repaired, with no reason to believe that it wont fail again in the same way. Good luck to the rest of you.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 485
Sony SUCKS!

Absolutely the worst customer service on the planet!

Username: Jmoney

My KDF-50WE655 came down with the same yellow spider-web problem a couple of days ago. It is a big blotch in the lower, right-hand side of the screen. Luckly, I have owned the tv for less than 1 year and am still under warranty. I called Sony and it was pretty obvious that they recognized the problem. The service center just called me and he said that they know the problem and are just ordering a new optical light engine, without even looking at it. They seemed very helpful and said it should be fixed within a week. I'm just hoping that this is a one-time issue and won't reoccur.

So, Sony (and its service centers) definitely know of the problem and hopefully will take care of it for anyone who comes across with this particular issue. This forum has been very helpful in allowing me to diagnose this problem and get it fix (hopefully) so quickly.

Anonymous

I was looking to buy a sony KF-50WE620 from Costco canada. I am not sure if this is new version to 50WE610 and comes with the issue resolved. Does any one know about this issue in the WE620 model.

BOYCOTT SONY
Unregistered guest
Sure enough my KDF42WE655 developed this green crap in the lower right quadrant two weeks after the warranty expired. I spoke with customer service who true to form denies any problems with the optical light engine. I even referred to this web site. I have owned Sony tvs all my life but this is the last one if not solved amicably. ANY
LAWYERS IN THE HOUSE? How can we put more pressure
on SONY?

BOYCOTT SONY
Unregistered guest
Sure enough my KDF42WE655 developed this green crap in the lower right quadrant two weeks after the warranty expired. I spoke with customer service who true to form denies any problems with the optical light engine. I even referred to this web site. I have owned Sony tvs all my life but this is the last one if not solved amicably. ANY
LAWYERS IN THE HOUSE? How can we put more pressure
on SONY?

Sony Woes
Unregistered guest
Class Action Law Suit - Look, if Microsoft can be sued by ONE man for their 360 which is already freezing and burning up...surely there are MORE than enough people on this forum with a problem to launch a class action suit. I suggest you do it sooner than later.

Bronze Member
Username: Taxman

Post Number: 48
Class Action Law Suit = the lawyers get millions, everyone else gets a check for $12. Sony has likely already determined that it is much cheaper to lose a few customers than tarnish their brand name and recall all of these sets. Think about it, very few people know of this defect other than those that:

1. Own one of these models AND experience the defect; or
2. Are researching these models and stumbled across this thread (myself included).

THIS IS THE PROBLEM
Unregistered guest
THERE IS BATCH OF TV'S WITH IMPROPERLY CUT LENSES
THAT OVER TIME WILL DEVELOP A HAIRLINE CRACK IN
ONE OR MORE LENSES. THIS IS WHAT THE SERVICE REP TOLD ME AND HE GETS AT LEAST ONE CALL PER DAY.
HE SAYS SONY IS AWARE OF THIS DESPITE WHAT THEY SAY. THE OPTICAL ASSEMBLY NEEDS TO BE REPLACED.
GOOD LUCK!!!!

i love sony
Unregistered guest
my new sony lcd 42'hdtv look like crap on 480i and not that good in high def does any one know what i should get to make it look better plz i need some feedback

JCarlough
Unregistered guest
KF-50WE610

Add another to the list.

It's over two years old. Obviously out of warranty. Not sure what to do...

http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pixels8zl.jpg

Anyone have Sony Support's # off-hand?

Bronze Member
Username: Patcooper

Staten Island, NY US

Post Number: 14
oh boy i just got my KDF-E42A10 model today. I'm loving it so far. I hope i have better luck than the rest of you.

Anonymous

If it wasn't for this site, I would have bought a 42" Sony RP LCD three weeks ago. At the back of my mind, I was always hoping that this site is kind of a hoax, or that this is not very common. I figure if it happens to 1 TV in a 100000, then my odds are pretty good. So I headed out to the malls again this week. To my surprise I found the "road map" problem on one of the Sony's on display at the Sony Store! I asked the sales guy, and he really didn't know so he made up some BS story. What a waste of time.

I haven't seen a lot of RP LCD TVs and even fewer Sony RP LCD TVs. For me to find one in the store, tells me that the odds of me getting a TV with this problem is too high. My guess 1 out of 10, 1 out of 20?

I would just like to say "thanks" to this forum. I am very disappointed with the technology. My old CRT TV is still working so I am going to wait a couple of years until they figure this out. Also by then there will be more HD channels available.

If you are reading this forum for the first time and wonder if this is a real problem, and you live in Vancouver Canada, run down to the Sony Store in Pacific Centre. The sales idiots might have still left the set out on the floor.

hesitant shopper
Unregistered guest
Just spoke with a Sony Rep on their Canadian 1-800 number today. He denies that there is any problems with this tv at all. He also insists that Sony has never heard of the "roadmap" appearances shown above or any problems with the light engines. This is despite a Consumer Report article suggesting the extended warranty due to light engine failure. I guess the roll of the dice is that, even with extended warranties, who knows if it will cover issues that Sony is denying. The right move is probably to wait until the technology improves......it's just too hard though!

Username: Jmoney

To follow up on my post from last week, Sony was great in taking care of my problem. I called on Monday and by Thursday they had come out and replaced my optical light engine. The service guy said that one of the LCDs was cracked and that they had seen it before, but it was relatively rare. Because I am still in warranty, I didn't have to pay a dime. I was impressed with how quickly they resolved this issue.

omarko
Unregistered guest
Obviously there are and have been some serious issues with the -610 series (from 2-3 years ago). It would be safe to assume that the -620 series (sold 1-2years ago) would have similar concerns because sony has been denying such problems from the previous generation. The new model series -A10 and -A20 might be okay, but it would be borderline decision.

That having been said, be critical when one says "I bought a -A10 new model and the problem is already here". From what I am reading it takes over a year for the problem to start on the -610 series. -look out for these jokers. In a any case, I just purchased a 2year extended warranty from Sears ($235) for my 620 Wega. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with their Maintenance Agreement.

fourtwenty
Unregistered guest
Ok, so none of you bought these with a credit card? I find that hard to believe. Most CC double the manufacturer warranties up to 1 extra year. Check the fine print. I know my mastercard does which is why I bought my KFE50A10 with it. From the sounds of it this problem appears before 2 years, so if it happens to me I will still be covered.

Anonymous

Goody for you!
It doesn't negate the fact that you bought a defective display.
They don't admit it. They haven't corrected it.
Your time will run out too.

fourtwenty
Unregistered guest
If this was happening to every single display sold I would be worried, but the risk that it will happen to me is fairly small when you consider how many of these sets are out there. If it does happen, it will likely be within my 2 year warranty. And IF it does happen to me, I will have it fixed and then promptly sell the TV and get something else.

Bronze Member

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 98
I bought the 50A10 with a four year in home warranty. This thread is the reason I spent the money for the warranty. I really like the TV especially for OTA HD.

Username: Josquin88

St. Paul, MN US

May the gods bless all of you and your families. I have a 50" WE610 with the purple version of the road map. I talked to Sony this morning, armed with the information from this site. They are replacing the part. I did agree to pay the labor, but got the service center to cover most of that. Bottom line for us- around $140. I could not have done this without finding this list. Kind thanks.

Unregistered guest
As a dealer I can tell you that flat panel LCD and Plasma sets receive all of the high-end factory quality control. It seems that the LCD/DLP projections are rushed, and the promise that, "All you have to do is replace the bulb every few years" is a complete lie. A lot of people slam Plasma for no legitimate reason. Burn-in no longer exists (resolved with picture-shifting technology). And unless the glass is cracked, pretty much anything on a Plasma or LCD is fixable by any reputable service center. Picture and cosmetics are clearly superior, and since they have no moving parts and more heat dissipation, they are far more reliable than their projection counterparts. Bottom line- under 40" go LCD. Above 40" go Plasma. The prices have come down so much that there is no reason not to go after a flat panel. Check out this study:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/273087528Pioneer %20DTV%20White%20Paper%20-%20FINAL.pdf

Username: Rabodnar

Severna Park, Maryland

I had the same spider web problem. Called sony and all is the same , never heard of problems sony said. My Tv is a KF42WE610 and was 13 months 10 days old and out of warranty. The second level offered to pay for the part if I would pay for labor. I said it was unacceptable to have to pay upwards od $600 for labor and $150 for a service call. That would be about 30% of what I had originally paid for their product after 13 months. I asked to speak with a supervisor stating that I would trash Sony's name and wanted them to buy the product back from me because I wanted nothing to do with anything Sony produced. The supervisor offered me to pay for everthing other then the service fee and I accepeted. Be persistent and speak with the second levels supervisor, every body has a boss in large corporation. I have not had my TV for about a month now but it is better then having to pay $1900 for a defective part supplied by sony.

Tom In Ohio
Unregistered guest
I actually ordered Panasonic PT-50LC14 then saw that there were a lot of bulb failures with the Panny RPLCDs. I'm still waiting for the claim to go through and was looking at Samsung - lip syncing issues. Then I thought, well Sony may be more reliable and I come across this. JVC I-LA has bulb issues, Hitachi has bad fan noise. And the CRT sets at the local electronics store have this highly reflective glass screen. I guess I'll stick with my 27" TV until it dies. I think Tom Bong is half-right. The technology is new and you may as well double your purchase price to figure the total cost of ownership on these products. I just hope my lost shipment claim gets approved before they find my set. Holy Crap, it used to be looking at minor differences in picture quality, contrast, brightness, screen flatness, and features. Now it's a matter of which set is less unreliable. Thanks for your posts, you've helped me get over my urge for a big screen before the bowl games.

Bill in IL
Unregistered guest
Mine is still under 1 year warranty but expiring soon. I called Sony, they said they may not honor it even they can sell it to me. What does it mean?
Can I still buy extended warranty from Sony?

My TV is still good, but concerned.

Amalia
Unregistered guest
I am on the hold with Sony right now. Their customer service has been appalling and I can not tell you how many times I have been disconnected. The Supervisor assigned to my case has not called me back. I have left him over 5 messages and today I called again and his mailbox is full. I have the same problem with my 42' Wega, dark blue lines (roadmap) in the lower left side. I have had the TV 2 years and they told me that they would sell me the Optical Assembly for $450. I told them that is not ok and I want the part replaced for free and I will pay for the Labor. I am now on hold to see their decicion. We will see, but based on the Customer Service this is the last time I will buy Sony again.

Unregistered guest
Currently I am deal with Sony on a warranty cover issue, for two months now. It is different to what is mention on this thread, but still a pain. Now, after reading this thread I am concerned about my entertainment investment. Here is a short version of my ordeal.

I own a large paperweight model KDF55XS955, with only 3 month of operation. Power up seems normal, but a second after the picture and sound come through, it shuts off. The error code from a red power LED is 4 blinks...pause...4 blinks...and so on. But the User's Guide did not have this code. 5 days after calling SONY support, the third party service arrived and told me the error code is a fan problem, typical problem; dirty.
After three month of service, and the fans are dirty. I guess this TV needs to be in a bubble.
The tech opens his delivery from SONY and found only two fans, instead of the 3 that are required. Now I see that this was a sign of what to expect from SONY.
Installation of the complete set did not fix my TV and now the scratching of the heads beings. Three other attempts of probable causes and broken promises, SONY and the tech agree on a TV swap.

But now I am fighting for the TV swap.
I finally get a delivery, after I call SONY, because they forgot about the issue, but to my disgust a refurbish TV was delivered. I refused the delivery, because I expected a new one. I was not told of a refurbished TV as the replacement.

After what seem to be the runaround process and incompetence, which is still going on, I was able to have a conversation with a customer service rep that wanted to talk about my TV swap issue (she call me). It was a bunch of excuses and BS.

Sony does not seem to take posting like these serious from this conversation, because there are opposite opinions. (Believing only the good ones does not make you a better support organization). SONY considers refurbish unit as new, but will only stand behind a refurbish unit for the remainder of the swapped TV warranty or 3 month. To add SONY cannot sell these units as new. (hmm why is that) Refurbish unit come from returns that are fixed some how, customers changed there mind, or just the box was only opened. (She could not tell me about the history of the refurbish unit that was delivered)

"After 30 days from purchase, refurbish models are used as replacement." (This statement made me feel punished for spending the money for a new one)
"New models are readily available" (Do a google search, plenty out there)
"No sir, we done have the readily here" (Go to www.sony.com I can order one and get it in 5 days)
(Why can retails replace failing TV with a new one, on their extended warranty policy, but SONY cannot on their factory warranty). (Silence)

I told her that I am tired of hearing there apologies. Since I am not accepting the refurbished unit, she needs to send this to their supervisory group for options. (What options, replace my TV with a new because that is what I bought. And that is all I hear, need to send it to supervisors for options. There seem to be a lot of non-authority supervisors.)
Why should I be expected to accept a refurbished TV as new, when even SONY does not stand behind them as such? 3 months warranty. I expected more from SONY but I am seeing that I am getting less.

Any ways, it is still on going with "will call you back today" which they don't or "can't leave a message, voicemail box full, thanks for calling...click". I have grown to hate "Max" the automated phone voice when I call SONY support.

Newsflash
Unregistered guest
You are a jerk and an idiot. Refusing the replacement set was a mistake. Fact of the matter set is your set is used. It's 3 months old right? You think you are due a brand new set but all you are due is a 3 month old set that works. Had the repair been done on your set that is what you would have right now. You are a total a$$hole and I hope they give you the run around for the remainder of your warranty period with the notation " Customer refused replacement". YOU are being unreasonable and I would bet based on your post you do a lot of yelling on the phone in heavily accented english. Simmer down and accept the replacement set and be grateful. There are plenty of people with Sony problems that are MUCH worse off than you.

RWILSON
Unregistered guest
I bought a brand new KDF-E42A10 on Thursday, the day before Christmas Eve. I set it up during a snow storm so had to wait until Christmas Eve to check out the picture. Great picture, even with DVD input and not HD.

Today, Christmas, I turned on the set and got these narrow vertical lines-about 1-3 mm wide and in all colours-like the image you get when you defrag your PC. None of the controls work ("WEGAGATE", volume, INPUT Selector), but I can still get audio and a ghost of an image through the vertical bars.

This set is less than 48 hours old!

Anyone else with this problem.

I bought the extended warranty- I'm going to try to just return the set and get another technology. I wish I had read this forum before I made my purchase.

Kloner
Unregistered guest
I have the same problem with 42inch LCD purchased 24mos prior, with no help from Sony.
I saw the primary reason sony does not want to do anything about it is that the problem is in the "Mother Glass" used in the LCD display is not made by SONY. These are made by Samsung due to Sony not having the technology. Sony buys someone elses product and wants to make the sale but does not want to warranty someone elses flaw as it cuts into their profits.

See the following article for full information http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20051204/news_1b4sony.html

Username: Rsteele

I might as well join the club here. My KF42WE610 will be two years old next Feb. Same road map issue as many above me. Has anyone actually received a light engine from Sony? Best recommendations to deal with Sony service department? Names or numbers? Please advise as I'm prepared to spend the time. Thanks!

ceh
Unregistered guest
I have seen a lot of Sonys with the roadmap problem. It's a cracked LCD. Americans seem to buy TVs like they buy vehicles. Big as possible and ignoring performance issues.It's amusing repairing projos and plasmas and hearing the cust rave about the excellent picture in HD then going home and watching my 32" panasonic direct view that puts all this new crap to shame. Plus my TV will still look good in 5 years when the projos and plasmas are cloudy dim junk.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us