Satellite Connection

Username: Cure913

Philadelphia, PA US

Post Number: 3
I'm making the switch to HDTV in a couple weeks on Dish Network and have a question regarding the connections. Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated.

For the most part I have done my reaseach on what types of cables to use from the Dish receiver (DVI) and the DVD player (Component)to the TV.

However, I'm a little confused as to why the HD signal is brought into the house via coaxial cable. Could someone please explain why this is done?

Harry

fx
Unregistered guest
"However, I'm a little confused as to why the HD signal is brought into the house via coaxial cable. Could someone please explain why this is done? "

Now I am confused!! How else would you do it?

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 719
Well, you could use a string. Or a rope, yeah that's it---a rope.

Seriously, I think what Cure is asking is why the fancy wires after the sat receiver when the whole she-bang comes into the house via a simple coax in the first place.

Philadelphia, PA US

Post Number: 4
I knew I was going to get my balls busted on this one. But yes, John is correct in his assumption. Why is there a need for high priced digital cables when the signal can be transmitted through standard coaxial?

fx
Unregistered guest
Sigh!!! The RF travels fine through an RF cable but once it is decoded into either digital bits or into an analog output thru your Sat receiver you need a different cable to connect it to your display. This is the simplistic explanation if you need more ask but unless you will be designing the next new Satellite receiver I don't think you do.

xvxvxvx

Philadelphia, PA US

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the explanation. Just out of curiosity why is there such a debate over which gives you the better signal cable or satellite? If they are all being brought in the same way why would there be an advange for one over the other?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 725
Harry,
Please read this page and the rest of the article after it:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/satellite-tv5.htm

The debate over sat/cable hinges primarily on the need for both systems to compress the signal and what effect that might have on the ultimate picture quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us