From HD Cable Box to HD T.V. using RG6 vs Component Vid

Username: Jcage89

Post Number: 1
Hi, my question is wether there is any quality (video/audio) difference in using a coax RG6 out of my cable box vs. using the component outputs with L/R RCA Audio.

Although I am not versed with the technology, it would seem that the digital cable AV source comes into the cable box on a single RG6 Coax run, so how could the quality be limited if I simply use another RG6 to leave the cable box and provide all video and audio to the T.V. with one clean cable?

Alternatively, the HD Cable also has component video as well as LR RCA audio and optical audio outs. I am using a Sony Bravia 32" LCD T.V. on the wall in a bedroom and there is no receiver/surround setup and only using the the Speakers built into the LCD. Since the LCD does not have optical audio input, RCA audio appears to be the only way beside RG6 to get sound into the Sony LCD.

I would prefer to just use the single RG6, but wish to maximize picture quality.

JC

Username: Jcage89

Post Number: 2
Upon further thought, the RG6 input to my Sony LCD indicates it should come directly from a cable source. Does this mean that I cannot use it for a signal that has already been decoded by the cable box?

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 709
Jack,
The coax video (what you're calling RG6) output of your cable box is sending that video converted to either channel 3 or 4 frequency. You are seeing what you think is the HD signal on an ordinary VHF frequency. The picture might look OK, but I assure you that you are not seeing true Hi-Def video on channel 3 or 4.

Your cable box has those lovely component outputs just waiting there to deliver superior video to a TV built for knocking your eyes out with a gorgeous picture. But it needs the component signal from your cable box to do that. You don't mention a DVI or HDMI output on your cable box, but if it did that would be preferable to component.

Yes, I know it all comes into your house on a single RG6 cable, but the cable box decodes the HD signal and outputs it only via the component (or DVI/HDMI) output. Component cables, BTW, only carry video, so you'll have to use the R/L analog cords for the audio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us