50 inch plasma better than 42 inch based on resolution alone?

Username: Crypticstatic

Rochester, MN

Post Number: 1
I posted my question on another forum but I would like more opinions.

Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a bind at the moment. I just recently bought a Toshiba 42HP95 and to be honest I was really happy with it. The PQ is great and the HIDEF channels look wonderful.

HOWEVER,

After doing some digging around I come to find out that this particular TV only has a MAX resolution of 1024x768 even though "native mode" is 720p. I've read all the arguments and what not, going back and forth about "true HIDEF and all of that but my quesiton is this.

I've been contemplting trading in my current plasma with the 50inch model but it will cost me around at least $500 if not a little more. aside from getting 8 more inches of screen space, is the increased resolution worth that much money alone??? the native resolution on the 50inch is 1280x720 I believe.

Will I indeed see a difference in HIDEF picture quality even though it will only be perhaps a 20 to 25 percent increase in PQ?

I'm a technical person by trait so that is why this is bugging me. As of right now I sit around 10ft from my TV and when I spoke to a person at best buy the sales person said that he couldnt even tell the difference in the PQ between the 42 inch and the 50 inch when watching HDTV.

I'm so torn right now! I dont think I would spend the extra $500 on size alone.

Has anyone traded up from 42inch to a 50inch model and see a difference?? Keep in mind that I would be going from a toshiba 42HP95 to a toshiba 50HP95.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 365
Plasmas are fixed pixel count displays, so I assume you are reporting the pixel counts in your above resolution numbers.

The answer to your question depends on the quality of the Toshiba plasmas internal scaler, ie- how well it handles content to fit into the number of pixels at each size point. That technical aspect out of the way- the answer is minimal to no difference. Our eyes are much more sensitive to contrast ratio than resoultion, particularly as distances increase. WE can see the difference in contrast very easily, but the resolution is very hard to pick up.

Current HD signal from sat/cable is pegged at 1240 x 1080. The relative difference in PQ from 1024 to 1280 is VERY SMALL, assuming a decent built in internal scaler. To scale 1240 to 1024 is not a huge leap but it must be done in the 42 incvh example you are giving.

Most people go for the biger is better side thugh- so expect some of that.

Username: Crypticstatic

Rochester, MN

Post Number: 2
I suppose some people can argue bigger is better however I more concerned if the extra $500 or so is justified if i'm not going to notice any difference in picture quality which is my primary concern.

I appreciate your feedback! I've even heard an argument stating that yes, I will get more resolution in the 50inch but considering the size and the amount of extra pixels (200 or more pixels in proportion to the screen size) that I wouldnt be able to tell the difference in PQ sitting 8ft or more from the screen.

I'm still leaning towards keeping the 42inch so far Unless someone can convince me that the 50inch will produce a noticable difference in PQ.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 366
The Hitachi 42 inch ALIS display gives a much better PQ than its 50 inch sibling.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us