Flying Erase Head VCR's

John
I'm having trouble finding a VCR with a flying erase head unless I go with say a JVC Super VHS Recorder. I'm not interested in Super VHS.
I have a Sony SLV-686 that I bought 13 years ago (heads are worn out) that I loved and it's NOT a Super VHS.
I guess my question is am I going to have to buy Super VHS just to get a Flying Erase Head.
My understanding is that I will not be able to view a tape recorded with a Super VHS Recorder in a non Super VHS machine.
What about the 1000 or so tapes I own now. Would I be able to view them in a Super VHS Recorder when they were recorded on a non Super VHS machine?
Any comments?

Cliff
You wrote:My understanding is that I will not be able to view a tape recorded with a Super VHS Recorder in a non Super VHS machine.

Nowadays some VCRs come with S-VHS Quasi Playback so you can view a Super-VHS tape in standard VHS mode.

You wrote: Would I be able to view them in a Super VHS Recorder when they were recorded on a non Super VHS machine?

I am pretty sure. I would make absolutely non-sense if it does not.

Derek
All of your old tape and any new tapes you make [with standard tape] will simply be regular VHS and retain thier full compatability. So, there's no worries there. You will simply have the capability to make S-VHS tape but you wont be using it.

The JVCs have dynamic-drum which prevents the horizontal line when fast-forwarding and S-VHS-ET where it can make S-VHS recordings on standard tape. The S-VHS input and output jack will better mix with the rest of your equipment if you have a DVD and Satelite and S-VHS VCRs have slightly higher quality head, so even your standard VHS recording will look better.

In general, as long as you don't put an S-VHS tape into the VCR, S-VHS isn't a problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us