Plasma technology

Username: Edunham

Post Number: 8
Has anyone heard the rumors that plasma TV's are not going to last but for 6 years or so? I also heard that plasmas are starting to get taken over by LCD and DLP technologies. I have started to see larger LCD sets recently, but is plasma really going to go by the wayside here? I've been contemplating what to buy and don't want to get a techology that will be obsolete in a few years. I know they will always get better, but if they don't last, why buy one? Also as in a previous thread, does anyone think waiting for 1080i/p will be worth it. I do have a 57" rear projection that gets HD quite well. Any thoughts from the experts????

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 360
DLPs are going by the wayside due to the problems with color accuracy in a single color wheel configuration. The newer LED DLP is slightly better but still behind. LCD has some size limits due to glass cutting issues. That said, The plasma size standard is increasing- by this time next year, 65 inch plasmas will be at 7000 and the new 58 inch models will be at 5000 ( these are Panasonic prices as they sell 50% of the total plasma volume and rising. I do agree that LCDs will begin to compete pricewaise up to about 45 inches. Right now a 40 inch LCD might cost 3500 and a 42 inch HD Plasma is at about 2200.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us