Plasma / LCD resolution

Username: Edunham

Post Number: 6
Does anyone else not want to purchase a LCD/Plasma TV until they get 1080 lines of reolution? With everyone raving about flat screens, I still get more resolution out of my rear projection TV. They just started coming out, but to find a 50"-60" with 1080i (and now 1080p) has been either hard to come by or cost a fortune.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 359
Erik- A resolution of 1366 x 768 or thereabouts usually allows for 720p and 1080i depending on the set. AS far as 1080P, this should allow the viewier to sit closer and not realize Screen Door Effect. If you are sitting at 9 feet or greater, the difference in PQ between a 1080i and 1080P signal may not be discernible by folks with normal vision. This is discussed in the January issue of Sound and Vision by the way.

Mr. Jeremy
Unregistered guest
Dumb question here... how can a tv support 1080 lines if there are only 768 lines? I can understand 720 but not 1080...

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 225
By deinterlacing the signal to 768.So thats why most sets you cannot see the difference in 720p and 1080i.

Mr. Jeremy
Unregistered guest
I see. So when watching a DVD it is really much better to use 720p than 1080i, right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 361
Set the resolution at the cable/dish set top box/ media receiever level to match the incoming signal, then straight to display. This allows for best PQ. So, if you are watching ESPN HD- which is 720P, then the button 720P would be pressed and set on the receiever/Set Top box. If you are atching Comcast HD movie, which is usually 1080i, then you would set the incoming forst dtop receiver at 1080i. Try and match the native vid signal resolution.

Bronze Member
Username: Edunham

Post Number: 18
So in essance a plasma with 768 lines will never be displaying 1080 lines of resolution? I know the picture will be comparable, but right now, about 2/3 of the broadcasts I receive are 1080 lines of resolution. How can a TV that only displays 768 be as clear even if it's a progressive scan vs interlaced? Maybe I'm just obtuse, but I agree that I can't see the logic. Wouldn't more pixels give better quality with the possible exception being a slight loss in clarity with a lot of action when viewing an interlaced signal?

Username: Frankwhite

Post Number: 2
yea i am at awhwhwhwhwhhh. cann some 1 make me a believer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
A coupe of things. First, the human eye has limitations for all of us at 20/20 or worse that makes us unable to resolve resoultion changes as we move farther away from a display. Second, interlaced and deinterlaced are two different animals. In an oversimplified way, deinterlacing allows for twice the info to be displayed per unit time; this is why 1080i and 720p are comparable pics. Again, I am very much oversimplifying. However, at 50 inch displays pr below, the difference between 1080P and 720P ( and I do mean 1080P) are barely resolvable at 8 feet if at all. The only advantage to more pixels at that screen size or below is that youc an sit closer with a 1080P display beofre noticing the pixels ( they are afterall- smaller in order to fit on the screen)

Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us