HP 720p vs 1080P - Need Advice Please

Username: Sully1957

Post Number: 1
I am considering replacing my 17 yr old Sony and finally moving to the HD world. I can purchase HP products through their employee program at some nice discounts. My problem : I have 60" of width where the TV will go and other than that can easily accomodate depth. I'm considering the HP 5020n which is a 720p rear projector that I can buy for $1,760. I would buy the 58" 1080p, but do not have the room for it. My other option is to wait until summer when the new 52" 1080p HP set will be available. This is the one that uses LED's rather than the 150w bulb, and my best guess now is that it will cost another $1,000 to $1,200. The set will go in our family room and we sit about 15' from it.

Should I buy the 720p now or wait for the 1080p? Is it worth the extra $$? We will watch a lot of regular programming, some sports and DVD's 3 or 4 times a month. I would appreciate your views on this. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 601
At 15 feet of distance you will require the larger display. With a larger display you will require the 1080P resolution. The value of 720P will be lost at 15 feet. Your eyes cannot discern the detail. I would not let a cabinet or entertainment center dictate the size of my expensive high definition display. Time for a change in every aspect.

LED displays are not as bright. They were a disappointment at the Las Vegas CES. UHP Mercury still produces the best picture in side by side comparisons.

My advice is a 1080P in a 58" display or larger if available. Regular programming is now in digital high definition on all major networks (abc, nbc, cbs, fox, etc.) for free with an off-air antenna and is included in digital cable in most areas.

Post Number: 2
58" seems big for the room I'm putting it in, but thanks for the input. Thanks also for the feedback on the LED's

Username: Johnd7

Post Number: 1
I am seeking same advice. Going to be sitting about 10 Feet and am trying to decide on the Samsung DLP 720 or 1090? At 10 Feet you think 50 in is a good size? 1090 or 720?

Post Number: 3
I know what you are going through! I've not yet pulled the trigger on a new set, though I am getting close. I've discovered that I do have enough room for the HP 5880, which is a 58" 1080p set, and I'm leaning toward that model. From all my research, I've decided that a nice 720p set would probably make me very very happy right now, but that in a couple of years, I may wish I had gone for a 1080p model instead.

Also, I do keep hearing on these threads as well as reading in magazine articles that the sets with 1080p just simply have better pictures than the 720p models. This is logical and indeed, I've noticed that to generally be the case when I've had the opportunity to do side by side comparisons in stores. The question of course is if the extra money is worth it. As I'm hoping to make a purchase that will last me at least ten years, the difference in price over that period of time does become rather minor.

Having said that, my neighbor just purchased a Samsung 720p 50" and I'm impressed with the picture quality, even with standard definition feeds. He sits about 10 feet from the set and is very happy with it.

As for me, I am going to visit a guy this week who has the HP 5880, so will finally get a chance to actually see one. They have gotten very strong reviews, but are generally only available from hpshopping.com right now and not available to see in a store. If I'm as impressed with the set as I suspect, I will probably order one this week.

Despite the comments from FYI above, I remain intrigued by the new HP sets with the LED light engine that will be available this summer. There is a 52" model that comes both in 720p and 1080p versions. The advantage of the LED is longer life and no color wheel - in other words, no moving parts! But, I would be concerned about the light output and the contrast of this new technology. I would not buy one without seeing it in operation. The new HP rear projectors may be available in a few months through Costco and Wal Mart. Best Buy will begin carrying the HP plasma and LCD sets in late March, though I'm told they will not carry the rear projection models.

The bottom line - I've decided that 1080p is the better option. As for size, I would get the largest set you reasonbly have room for. Also, one final note - I asked one of the guys who reviews HD equipment at one of the home theatre magazines for his advice, and his reponse was that I should primarily consider three things: 1) Native Resolution 2) Processing and 3) Price.

Good luck to you.

jamescrew6
Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsu 52725 dlp tv that displays 720p and have viewed the set from as close at 10 feet away and it looks great. The maximum distance between the tv an where I view it is 17 feet. I think that a 52" set will be fine viewed at 15 feet.

Regarding waiting for the 1080p sets vs a 1080i or 720p set, the question that you have to ask is whether you will see an appreciable difference in the picture quality for a 1080p set vs one that displays 1080i or 720p. Right now no signals are broadcast in 1080p so 1080i and 720p signals have to be converted to 1080p. My Mit 52725 displays in 720p and the picture is great. I have seen the "1080p" sets and the picture is stunning but I cannot see any appreciable difference in the picture quality from the 720p set that I own so personally I would not pay more for a 1080p set when the older model gives me a great picture. But that's me. Some people will see a significant difference in the picture quality from a 1080p set vs a 720p or 1080i set and for them it may be better to purchase a 1080p set now. Just my humble opinion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us