Archive through November 07, 2005

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 73
Sounds like that might be exactly what it is. You have a warranty, use it. It's likely a 5-10 minute service call to remove the offending mote from thine eye. :-)

HS

Bob in Indio, CA
Unregistered guest
Authorized service showed up after a month of begging and said "it was not the lamp". I could have fixed a lamp myself with my spare. They did not know what the problem was with my DLP - so I have bought a spare backup flat screen HDTV so that I can put the Samsung in my pick up and drive it around with a sign on it "NO SERVICE AVAILABLE IN THE PALM SPRINGS VALLEY FOR SAMSUNG DLP HDTV'S"- and I will wait while the Authorized Service for Samsung in Yucca Valley learns how to fix it. Call their Customer service if you don't believe. Thanks for the good advice, Tom. Ah, the lessons of life. And yes, I do love the DLP, when it works ! Even tho it only cost $2700 a year ago.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 491
A MONTH? It took a month to get service? Is this usual? Well at least you have really deep blacks!!!

Yes those who buy based on the picture quality alone are seduced by a cruel mistress in this technology.

Sorry bout your issues. Live and learn aye?

Bob in Indio, CA
Unregistered guest
Just want to get the word out everywhere I can. What you see in the store is what you get at home, until the flashing lights come on - and lo, ye find out that your warranty covers repairs, but they have no Authorized service in the Palm Springs area. Samsung sells, but it's like a hit and run. DLP technology is great, but support is non existent for warranty problems. In the Palm Springs Valley, anyway. If one person is persuaded from buying after reading this board, it will have been a successful waste of time.

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
RE: There are over 5 million DLP's in service from over 75 makers

DLP4me!

While I will agree DLP has merits... Keep in mind just because "allot" of something has been mfg'd that doesn't mean it's good.

Example 1: Chevrolet Vega..... The idiots made it with a aluminum block, and a CAST IRON head.... instead of making it with a CAST IRON Block, and an aluminum head to dissipate the heat! Using a cast iron head caused many a headache for the owners of this car! There was a Cosworth version with an aluminum block, aluminum head, and that was pretty decent car.

Example 2: In about 1968, 1970? Cadillac, and Oldsmobile came out with their versions of a front wheel drive luxury car, I think the Cadillac being and Eldorado and the Oldsmobile being the Tornado . The cars came STOCK with DRUM brakes... Thing is from 60 miles per hour a 1928 Ford Model A would stop FASTER... than the then at the time top-on the line Cadillac, and Oldsmobile! The car I believe did have "optional" disc brakes that could be ordered which made it stop pretty decent, but as delivered most customers got a really crappy car in the braking department.

Just because they make a bunch of something doesn't mean it's good.

Just because the sell a bunch of something doesn't mean it's good either.

Fools will buy anything if marketed /promoted properly.

Silver Member
Username: Dlp4me

Post Number: 146
Whatever...

Sorry about the service dilema, Bob.
Dallas is next day.

Silver Member

Post Number: 495
>>>> If one person is persuaded from buying after reading this board, it will have been a successful waste of time.<<<

Thats been my point Bob...LOL

But one should ALWAYS check for local AUTHORIZED service centers BEFORE they make such an expensive purchase.

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
RE: Whatever

DLP4me!,
Yea whatever...

I think that you are a shill for one of the mfg's, or have stock in the companies.

SHILL= Someone who works for a company that cruises the Internet forums doing "damage control", but says they are not associated with any company.

A SHILL I guess could also be someone that has a vested financial interest, such as someone who owned stock, or had a business or whatever to keep the gravy ride from ending.

You seem to know allot of details that persons on the inside would be privy to so I think you are a shill.

DLP4me! is a SHILL.

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
RE: Whatever

DLP4me!,
Yea whatever...

I think that you are a shill for one of the mfg's, or have stock in the companies.

SHILL= Someone who works for a company that cruises the Internet forums doing "damage control", but says they are not associated with any company.

A SHILL I guess could also be someone that has a vested financial interest, such as someone who owned stock, or had a business or whatever to keep the gravy ride from ending.

You seem to know allot of details that persons on the inside would be privy to so I think you are a shill.

DLP4me! = SHILL.

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
RE: But one should ALWAYS check for local AUTHORIZED service centers BEFORE they make such an expensive purchase.

Mr Bong,

While I agree with that advice, as you and I both know most service centers due to the fact this "new" models keep on coming out so fast really have NO clue. (Same goes for the factory "tech" support in some regards)
The thing is these days the new models are being pumped out so fast that there is not much of a knowledge base, IF they change the design of the product each year.

It takes a while (a year or two, or three?) for "techs" to figure out what part "failed" when a problem arises. That's why I try (but am not always successful) in resisting purchasing most any product until it has been in production for a while.

Personally and Professionally while I am intrigued, and excited by new "technology".... I find that for the most part that companies release product to market without enough real-world testing, leaving the consumer to do the beta testing for them.

This is true in ANY field. Most any type of product.

For that that do not agree I would ask you, Would you rather board a plane that had been hastily brought to market due to market issues (I.E. Beat the other company to the retail sales floor to capture the market)

Or would you rather board a DC-3.... that has a proven record, and the techs know the plane backwards and forwards?

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
LOL

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
So I guess MR SHILL, AKA =MR DLP4me!

That you you rather board a plane that had been hastily brought to market due to market issues (I.E. Beat the other company to the retail sales floor to capture the market)

VS, boarding a DC-3.... that has a proven record, and the techs know the plane backwards and forwards?

So your saying:

You'd rather have a "new" model come out every six months... ALL new models with the customer in effect doing the beta testing?

(This model works great if your in the pacemaker mfg'ing business, I guess if you are in charge of marketing, You'd say about the pacemakers that were rated at NINE YEARS failing in 1 YEAR, that " WE here at DLP4me! Pacemaker mfg'ing" have NO "complaining", unhappy customers....

Yea you could say that IF your pacemaker failed at 1 YEAR, since it's hard to complain when your dead.)

So you think it is a good thing to have "techs' that because there are so many new models coming out not know which way is UP?

Would it be a GOOD thing if the airplane you were on used rivets or adhesives that FAILED way before the rated time?

Silver Member

Post Number: 168
"ALL new models with the customer in effect doing the beta testing?"

Of course we are doing the beta testing!
It's a tv, not a jet or a pacemaker.

They have their 1 year coverage on it.
I've heard of them extending an additional 6 months after a repair too.

Yea...we are the beta testers in any industry!
Many have died in SUV rollovers.
Many have died in auto tire failures.
Several died as a result of the current cruise control switch recall. You know...they burst into flames whether you're in the car or not!
Some get a bum contractor on their new house.

That's life!
It's not a perfect world.

earndog
Unregistered guest
Tom,

I want to spend between $2,000 and $3,000 on a flat pannel TV. What would you buy?

Confused in MN

Silver Member

Post Number: 505
Well I would join Costco if you have one. And look at their Plasmas and LCDs. (not rear projection)

Im assuming you want a real flat panel.
These are Costco offerings

Sharp Aquos 37" is a well known and respected TV for $2000

For a larger screen have a look at the Kreisen 40" LCD $2500

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11063863&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=33 14&hierPath=79*3314*

There is an Akai ion the stores and some others in your price range.

Now the reason I would not buy anywhere but Costco is becasue the technology is relatively new and eeven Consumer reports is now reccommending the purchase of an EW. (I don't buy them on anthing I am way ANTI EW)LOL

Costco has an "indefinate " return period. Kinda like a lifetime guarentee like Aears has on their Craftsman tools. IF the TV fails after say three years they WILL accept it as a retun and replace it or refund your money. With that said I am sure if you have issue during the warranty period you have the option of geting it serviced or bringing it back, I would call for warranty service first. IN that way if I had issues after the warranty period I would feel much more justified in returning the TV to Costco after two or three years with documented evidance I went to the manufacturer first in the beginning.

I would NOT buy these sets at any retailer with a 30 day retun policy or where you would have to spend another $400 for an EW.

If you want to get a 42" Plasma for less then $1600 Wal MArt has their "house brand" iLO for that price and an EW for that is only around $100 for three years. With all these "off brands" making these TVs I have to come to the conclusion they are easy and pretty cheap to make...Semms anyone can make them, Much like PCs.

earndog
Unregistered guest
Thanks Tom,

After reading this forum and interviewing some of the sales reps at Best Buy and CC I have decided to go with Plasma over DLP... You have helped make a very confusing situation crystal clear!

T0m Bong
Unregistered guest
Your welcome Tom, er I mean Earndog who is an entirely separate entity from myself.

To Those that say
Unregistered guest

DLP4me!

(AKA "THE SHILL")

(SHILL = Meaning he either works for or has vested interest in the subject being talked about, but says they do not.)

You sort of missing the point. Yes I know nothing is perfect. The point is ALL products have a projected lifespan.
And the marketing dept uses that info to write ad copy to SELL whatever product to potential buyers.

Buyers use that info to decide which item to purchase.

If that info is FALSE, and or misleading the buyer gets burned.

LEts say you have 2 products rated at the same amount of time... The first one in which they gave a rating of 10,000 hours.... (and 99.05% product give that rating, and then some)

And then the product sold by the DLP4ME! Corporation.... that only 50% will reach the rated time.

Which product would you want to buy, ride in, fly in, etc.

Which company would you want making say, "Brake pads" for your car?

Do you want the company that made those pads to use the rating system that these "LAMP" mfg's use?
(If so you better make sure yoiur life insurance is paid up for your wife's sake!)

How about the company that made the insulation in your razor, the drill you may use on a wet day, that extension cord drapped accross a wet lawn, or thru the mud on a wet day, and your standing in the puddle...

How about the insulation inside that DLP Super Duper TV set you have that you love so much?

Would you like it if that insulation was sub-standard, that it had been rated as one thing, when it was not and it burned your house down?

Memorize this for your next meeting with your handlers...

Under promise, Over deliver.

NOT,
Over promise, and under deliver.

Rate stuff at what 98% of the product will reach/do... Instead of 50%.

50% is a joke.

Silver Member

Post Number: 510
I have not now nor have I EVER posted a word in this forum under any name but Tom Bong and sign on EVRYTIME under Tombo777.

IF people are taking my opinions and deciding I relect wht they know to be true and act on that so be it.

Here is a prediction for you DLP lovers....2005 will be the peak of DLP sales, Mark this post.

Unregistered guest
I have Samsung 4663 , It stopped working , replaced ac fuse .Now the lamp and temp. lights flash from the moment you plug it in. Replaced lamp , same results.Ant ideas?
Thanks.

Pavelow
Unregistered guest
tom bong,

According to the FCC, at least 80% of programming broadcasting from a TV station must be in HD. The private sector has taken this to court, I think, and I don't know the latest status. But the Best Buy guy was sort-of correct.

Pavelow
Unregistered guest
tom bong,

According to the FCC, at least 80% of programming broadcasting from a TV station must be in HD by Jun/Jul 2006. The private sector has taken this to court, I think, and I don't know the latest status. But the Best Buy guy was sort-of correct.

Silver Member

Post Number: 517
NOT HD..there is no mandate to broadcast IN HD, No such thing in fact. They meust broadcast DTV which carries HD and Standard TV...BIG DIFFERENCE

For example: All Satelitte is already digitally "broadcast" But most is not in HD.

Don't confuse the broadcast carrier signal with the content of that signal. You can broadcast a low rez 4:3 MPEG2 digitally and be well within the FCC mandate.

A quick look at the weather channel on sattelite and you will see the terrible scaling of 480i Standard content being manipulated to display on a fixed Pixel display.

BTW The FCC has also mandated that broadcasters include ATSC tuners in 50% of their TVs by July 2005. (
Yet no Akai has one for one instance)

Anonymous

Sometimes when I turn on my Samsung DLP TV the picture is red or blue or green. I have to turn the set off, let the lamp turn off and then turn it back on. The picture is fine then...any ideas?

marcopolo
Unregistered guest
I want to buy DLP Samsung HL-P5063W. What do you think about the factory refurbished ones? They are under $1600 with shipping. What did they do to it? Is it like new os has it some glitches?
And is it possible to buy extended warranty for refurbished product and where? It has only 90 days.
Thanks for the help.
(Your posts are great, DLP4me!)

Silver Member

Post Number: 597
OMG you have some BIG BAlls. The new ones are having issues and you want a refurb. I have heard of the line "glutton for punishment" Now I have a total understanding of the meaning of that thought.

Good Luck. LOL

marcopolo
Unregistered guest
Any REAL and HELPFUL advice from someone else would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 90
I would advise against it specifically because it is a 5063, the fact that it's a refurb is just icing on the cake of wariness I would have about it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 605
HOw many millions of those "terrible" 5063's did Samsung sell to unsuspecting buyers?

You make my point beautifully as a Best Buy Sales dweeb. But ALL of today's products are "fixed" Bwahahahahaha.

Username: Pavelow3

Post Number: 4
Marcopolo,

Buying a refurb is a very bad idea. That 5063 had many problems and is the reason there are refurbs for sale. Stay away from it. You'll get what you pay for, a headache in 90 days.

Username: Pavelow3

Post Number: 5
Tom bong,

Yes, I knew about the 50% ATSC tuners as well. It is why Samsung has been forced to start carrying them in some new models. I don't doubt your knowledge of the FCC rule. I'll have to go read it for myself. Interesting distinction. The head technical director of KNME in Albuquerque was my source of info. I'll have to ask him what he really said to me 2 years ago.

Silver Member

Post Number: 646
Yep. HD is not mandatory ever.

Don't confuse the carrier with the content.

Jasper-010101
Unregistered guest
Tom bong is so fvcking stupid!
He doesn't know jack sh!t about HD, the FCC, or market forces.

Commercial marketing and ratings will force HD to become the standard sooner rather than later.

Direct tv launched two birds for mpeg4 conversion to HD in 06. Everyone else better be competative or prepare to loose market share.

Silver Member

Post Number: 658
LOL they always resort to namecalling when losing the debate. -Debate 101

Only 20% of the us Televisions are HD 7 years later.
I don't see market forces at work there.

I say later rather then sooner. Any big TV expendutures should wait unti there is compelling content. Common sense 101. You don't buy a computer before the software.

Direct TV better do something they have lost so much market share to DISH..LOL

BTW What will they be converting? reruns of the Brady Bunch?

Username: Maulrat

Phoenix

Post Number: 7
Reruns of Brady Bunch..maybe...

Just curious though Tom, what exactly would you want to see broadcast in HD to make it worth your while? Sure, there is some lame stuff shown in HD- swamp buggy racing and whatever other examples there maybe. But pretty much every new primetime show is broadcast in HD, movies on HBOHD, STARZHD, SHOWTIMEHD, sports on ESPNHD, Discovery HD- all HD...just to name a few. What is it that you watch/want to see?

Silver Member

Post Number: 666
I want to turn on the TV and no matter where I go the PQ looks the same. I do not wnat my TV to have to upconvert downconvert and or otherwise scale an already compressed MPEG 2 signal resulting in the display of clay like images.

I do not want to be forced to pay extra for a small rare group of channels called the "HD tier" where 5 channels repeat the same shows all day long. If we lived in a primtime TV world like 20 years ago I would be satisfied with the amount of content. But prometime fare leaves much to be desired as those who pay for more then the local stations on Cable apparently agree with.

I want HD to be the standard not the exception. Is that to much to ask when spending $3000 on a TV?

Apparently not for 15% of the population with large screen HDTVs. But I am sure the other 85% or so will understand that simple economic's lesson.

Username: Lee_g

Post Number: 3
Tom Bong, if I understand your argument, your points are: that the new technology (DLP, plasma, etc.) isn't proven yet; RP CRT is the way to go; DLP buyers are idiots, etc.; down time is ridiculous and unmanageable; you're going to save potential DLP buyers from their misery; why buy a $20k car and spend $2k for brakes annually; etc. Okay, I'm going to take a crack at this, just for fun.

If you know of an RP CRT TV that has a 52" screen, weighs about 105 pounds, and is not more than 18" deep and 49" wide, let me know and I will seriously consider it. My unit fits perfectly in an existing space in my bookcase so your alternative can't be any wider or deeper than those dimensions. Also, I do have to move it from time to time and since my back is somewhat finicky the difference between 225 pounds or so and 105 pounds or so is important. I looked at all the comparisons between plasma and other technologies. I am impressed by picture quality of all of them - my eyes can't discern enough difference in most cases to justify the extra cost of the plasma, for example, although I may buy a plasma later to hang on the wall in the bedroom. If mine does go down for an extended period, I'll either watch one of the 15-year-old 21" sets I've got in another room or I might move one into the den, so the down time will be an inconvenience but it's certainly manageable for a patient, mature adult like me (patient - at leat that's what I keep telling my wife).

Now the brakes analogy. I have two cars. One gets about 35k miles out of a set of tires, a complete set of 4 costs less than $800, we do balance them at least every 6 months. It's got about 70k miles and I don't remember changing the brake pads yet, although we might have and I've forgotten (we do get tires and oil serviced regularly and our 25-year tire guy checks the brakes for us). Beyond that, this car virtually never goes in the shop - I think 100k is the recommendation for spark plugs - so almost no cost there. It is a model that was known for an above-average incidence of transmission problems; we knew about them ahead of time, bought the car anyway, and we've been lucky so far. The second car is different. Its tires cost about $1400 per set of 4. I get as little as 8k miles out of those tires. Service is required every 15k and it's expensive - it's not just an oil change. I've changed the brake pads twice in about 40,000 miles in not quite three years (cost about $350 per set). Insurance is about 4 times the cost of the first car. Gas mileage is significantly worse than the first car. The second car is also not as generally reliable as the first car - I've had a couple of things go wrong causing trips for unscheduled maintenance. Which is the better car? Depends. The first one hauls 7 kids to school in carpool or several sheets of plywood, my choice. The second car is built to do something else entirely and it does that better than most of the other cars you'll see anywhere. By your logic, the first car is obviously the better choice, because the 2nd requires more maintenance and uses more consumables. By your logic, anybody that would buy the second car must be an idiot, right? Most buyers, including me, know ahead of time that it will cost more because consumables will be more costly and scheduled service will be more expensive. They also know about the reliability issues and generally know exactly what leads to them. Nonetheless, we buy anyway. Bad decision? Are we idiots, in this case? I doubt it - I bought both cars on different criteria. Just like the TV. I knew the lamp might be a problem. I knew it might cost me, say, $350 per year to change it. As far as I'm concerned it *is* just another form of consumable. If I compare the cost of that consumable to the cost of carpentry to accomodate my RP CRT options, I'm still ahead of the game. I like it. I've also got a 9" portable I like when I'm on the treadmill and when that $109 Emerson breaks I'll buy another one just like it. You've harped on the lamp/brake analogy all over the place. It's one of the criteria of several that people consider. RP CRTs are good choices for some people but so are DLPs if the criteria are different. Your conclusion is certainly valid based on the criteria and weights you assign to them but since we're probably all different from you, we can all logically reach good decisions that are different than yours. There is no logical basis, so far, on which you can impugn the character, logic, or intelligence of the existing DLP owners because there is absolutely no way you can know what their criteria were.

Do you really want to be constructive or are you really trying to be destructive? Somewhere in these threads you implied that you were so smart and successful that you either weren't working or didn't have to. If that's so, I'm happy for you. You've also said, I think, that you like to poke fun at the DLP owners and warn the potential DLP owners. Poking fun is one thing, and I'm going to attempt that in a future post. You've taken it beyond fun - you've hijacked the thread and taken it to the level of deliberate insults that are uncalled for. Since you do appear to be pretty bright, you should be able to see that. If you want to inform potential owners, start a thread with a comparison of technologies - pluses and minuses of all of them. Include some good keywords so googlers will find it. Bump it so it stays at the top. Do it objectively and you will do some good. If you do it that way, it clears up a lot of these threads so the rest of us can get on with trying to find the answers to questions we actually care about and you'll probably gain a lot of respect from the users of this and other threads.

Username: Lee_g

And now for the lighter side...

I've been reading some of these threads for the entertainment value of the mudslinging. IMHO, the quality isn't up to other threads I've seen on the web. I have gained valuable information and I have seen the occasional example of wonderful humor. Your humble correspondent will now (oh, so humbly) take the second step, the poking fun in good humor step, of trying to steer this thread a little differently:

Top 5 reasons to buy RP CRT TVs:
1. The size and bulk make a good visual counterbalance to my Barcalounger.
2. When installed low in an entertainment unit, it lowers the center of gravity and anchors the unit so that it won't tip over when young children climb on the furniture.
3. I *love* it when people talk dirty about good convergence...
4. Versatility: moving it around adds an important element to my fitness program
5. Opportunity to practice woodworking to accomodate it.

AND...

Top 5 reasos to buy DLP TVs:
1. For highly social people, they offer a great opportunity to meet new people as you get acquainted with customer support staffs and service technicians.
2. Versatility: Half of the screen holds sticky note reminders and the other half holds a calendar. The three flashing lights on the front are special notice for everyone to check when something important is posted.
3. Some of the screens do double duty: you can watch the TV program you're interested in and watch a reflection of what's going on behind you at the same time.
4. Some offer a reminder of the freshness of a spring shower and a burst of color, also known as the rainbow effect.
5. Good opportunities to work on your diagnostic skills to figure out whether it's the fan or the color wheel that's the problem and to work on your handyman skills when you learn to replace the lamp.

Others?

Silver Member

Post Number: 675
Look kind sir, I tried to start my own independant threads informing people of my alternative opinions. Read the responses! They attacked me personally and pizzed all over my opinion. So I feel more then justified in returning the favor....They have posted threads attempting to discredit my opinion. I rather think it's a good thing becasue the more they trash me and my opinion the more weight it has to reasonable people.

Now with regard to your reply to my analogy:

The second car is obviously a "special interest" car bought by enthusiasts who are aware of the pitfalls. My message is not to "video enthusiasts" who scrutinize the tiniest display deatials down to the pixel. My message is to the average Joe who thinks he is getting the first car but ends up with the second.....My message is to warn him of the hype and true cost of ownership over wht he is used to. Some have actually been greatful fro that information and decided to wait and research more. Thats my "reward" here. Not the enthusuasts who buy product for prestige ot those who cannot stand to be on the trailing edge of technology. Yet they are the ones who are the loudest and most crude in the deep need to protect and defend their choice. I find that very telling.

Let me put it this way. I find the iPOD the Holy Grail for music players. I post in the user forums. We sahre information on use issues etc like any forum. There are those who hate anything MAC and come into the forums and spew all kinds of venom on my beloved iPod. The revel in our (few) difficulties. They reccomend their non iPod solutions which are valid for them and have made perfect sense to a few who have come to do some research on the forum some of them have decided to buy the IRiver instead because of things the MAC haters point out.

I m not offended nor do I EVEN RESPOND to them, I am happy with my choice, I do not feel I have to protect the Ipod in any way or see that more are sold.

There is a very small handful here, some who post under a few names each who feel they have the right to silence my opinion. The job to defend the technology. A few of them either sell it or work for designers of it. Go figure. When they cannot do it with logic. They start posting in BOLD and cutin and pasting the same drool. I find that amusing yes. I do think it plays into my message to those who can see the absolute fanaticism of these few people and it plays against their credibility and causes the reader to research more.

I do not care if they buy or not buy a certain technology. I have no axe to grind there. Its their money. Their problem, I only ask that they truly research the issues and make a decision based on that. If they choose not to buy it maybe the maufacturers will step up to the plate.

I am not credible alone. I am not the last word. I implore them not to believe me over all others. I do ask them to DO THE RESEARCH.... I am only part of that research.
My conclusions are based on my own research most of which came from this board and others.

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=457772#POST457772

Gentlemen,

As most everyone here knows Tom Bong has NO class, and continues to post in almost every thread his rantings. I believe everyone here should e-mail the admin's of this board. (Instructions at bottom of this post)

He has been asked nicely several times to bow out of threads that do not directly affect him. https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=456260#POST456260

Another case in point would be the below thread, BONG does not own, or intend to BUY a lamp based set, but yet posts the same SPAM, over and over again.

According to Bong, it won't do any good, he says he doesn't have a static ISP, that he's not going away https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=457702#POST457702

Class act, let me tell you.

How about EVERYONE here e-mailing the ADMIN's of this board about him. The e-mail address is on the help /rules /instruction page: https://www.ecoustics.com/bbs/board-instructions.html

Look for "Where to get further information", click on CONTACT link, You can't PM the ADMIN (doesn't work), But there IS a e-mail link right under it "Please address general questions and concerns to"

Silver Member

Post Number: 687
Cry me a friggin river already!

Keep trying. You may get a groundswell,....nah most people don't really care that much.

Mr Thompson
Unregistered guest
Bought my Samsung HLP5067W online, no warranty, no returns, great price. Unboxxed it and plugged it in. Love at first sight. Went to work and came home, tv would not turn on.Same story I've now read many, many times, standby + Lamp + timer flashing. Powercycling worked most of the time, although there were days that it would take 20 minutes to get it lit. Samsung provides 1 yr. warranty and extended it by 6 months willingly. They sent a tech to my home and replaced the ballast and lamp, problem seems to be solved. I have yet to experience how frequently these hardware failures will occur but I would still defend Samsung although I am dissappointed that a DLP in its 3rd generation still has so many problems that are obviously widespread. All of the forums about samsung dlps show numerous cases of the same problem. BTW...I think Tom Bong is humorous even if I don't agree with all he says. CRT was/is reliable but rear projection crt in my experience had major convergence issues. Either way, spend what you're willing to pay, buy the technology that you like, and live with the consequences.

Silver Member

Post Number: 696
Some people do not find humor in my posts. Glad to see you get it even though you don't agree.

A slightly misconverged RPCRT has a better standard TV picyure then any RP fixed pixel out of the box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 735
bump

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 272
Your lamp was damaged during shipping.
It's a common occurance.
I think they should ship lamps seperately in bubble wrap.
They haven't caught on to the this solution yet.

I'm a ham operator and we never ship radio amplifiers with the power tubes in them. Lamps are no different.

You're set will be trouble-free for a long time now.

Enjoy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 746
>>>>You're set will be trouble-free for a long time now. <<<<

At least 18 months....if you are one of the lucky ones.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 291
I agree!

Such is the norm for these types of consumable lamp projectors.

lotusno6
Unregistered guest
I have an HLN437W. It has a problem. After less than 5 minutes of running, the screen freezes with a black and white image. I can still change channels, adjust volume, change inputs etc., but the picture stays frozen. Since I still have a picture, the lamp should still be good. Since the picture is black & white, the color wheel should be OK (I can hear it spinning). Unplugging resets it. This happens with the ANT, Video 1, and component inputs, so it can't be an input card. No blinking lights on the front panel. That leaves the engine or the digital board?
Any ideas? I checked the lamp timer - 10,220 hours in 2 years.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 354
"I checked the lamp timer - 10,220 hours in 2 years."

See that number, tom bong?
I'll bet it's a Phillips lamp!
That's 5110 hours a year for 2 years... and counting!
Your claim of 2160 on a DLP lamp is a lie.

lotusno6,

There is a chance that the cooling fan for the Digimain board has slowed or stopped workng. Heat can cause this. It's probably time to take the back off and clean things. Look for a back cover switch that you can tape closed so you can inspect the set's operation while powered up. Fans are not difficult to replace.

Anonymous

I need some help, I have a 50' Samsung DLP currently in the shop that I need some help on, my father is an older man and doesn't understand much about the new technology coming out. The image after a prolonged time of about 5 hours begins to flash in black and white like a picture being taken various time, we replaced the lamp to no improvement, what would you guys suggest the problem is, HELP!!!

msolano
Unregistered guest
Its not after 5 hours its after 15 minutes, the pictre doesn't freeze but it seems like it is taking photographs in black and white, what could it be? Same guy that posted the one above

msolano
Unregistered guest
Its not after 5 hours its after 15 minutes, the pictre doesn't freeze but it seems like it is taking photographs in black and white, what could it be? Same guy that posted the one above

Silver Member

Post Number: 836
bump

Silver Member

Post Number: 844
bump

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 18
Let me guess.

DMD chip is working.

Color wheel stop spinning and sticks in "White" section of wheel.

Or the timing chip for the non-white color wheel segments isn't working.

Unregistered guest
Wow! I love being an American! I love the internet! I adore the dialogue! This is truly an interesting time to be alive! I have been truly entertained combing through these missives for advice relating to my problem (Toms's hands are itching right about now).

I have a HLM507W, one of the first models to be offered. It's motored along just fine for about 3 years. I got the tres blinking LED's about 8 months ago, ordered a replacement bulb, installed it and it worked fine, up until now. Just recently tres blinking LED's (TBLED) returned.

When this happened, I was somewhat surprised, knowing the bulb had nowhere near the hours of projected life, and this is born out by the symptoms. When I cycled power to reset the fault, then booted up the set, the picture came up normally, no flaws and remained on for about 30 seconds. The set then proceeded to power itself off and display TBLEDS.

The picture coming up and displayed in normal brightness and colors tells me the bulb and set electronics are functional, if only for about 30 seconds. Could it be a faulty fault detection circuit (sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?) Perhaps the ballast is going past a fault threshold in that brief 30 second period? I call upon the collective wisdom of youse guys and gals. Any advice?

Tom, I know what your solution is.

Warmest regards, Donald Brewster - El Paso, TX

Mr Thompson
Unregistered guest
Here goes entry #2! The tech replaced the lamp & ballast on my HLP5067 a few weeks ago and the TV was solid for about 5 days. The same problem is back with greater frequency.

Round 2 of service from Samsung, we'll see what they replace this time.

I hope people do read and see for themselves what others are facing with their Samsung DLPs, as well as other brands/technologies. When looking to purchase I did my homework on specifications and features but failed to check forums for known issues - had I done so I probably would have thought twice about buying a Samsung. Live and learn.

My thoughts: Why argue about lamp hours if most fail way before they reach their projected life? Are others noticing that Samsung DLPs aren't being sold at many retailers any more?Hmm, wonder why? Maybe these TVs have become a logistical nightmare(dealing w/ returns,DOAs,DEFOAs,etc.)that retailers don't want to deal with it anymore.

Conclusion: For this buyer, DLP is a dud. Flaky at best. Great picture when it works but too many problems. A TV should just turn on, stay on, and shut down when you're done, if it can't do that then it has failed.

PS- Go easy on TOM-BONG, and keep in mind how many people are posting issues with their RPLCDs, and DLPs. I don't think I ever even had to consider looking at forums with regard to my previous CRT sets. That speaks volumes.

Observer
Unregistered guest
"PS- Go easy on TOM-BONG"

Thompson,

Are you joking?
Go buy another CRT.
Then, you and bong can enjoy your relics.
For all we know, you are tom bong.
You didn't care to register.
He's been known to bolster his position with fake names.
Perhaps you should heed your last post.

Tmac
Unregistered guest
I need some help. I bought my Samsung in March 04. I do not know the model, but it was the 43 incher. Great TV until 8-1-05. I started hearing a lound whiny noise from the back of the TV. Luckily (at least I thought at the time), I got the four year plan from Best Buy. The guy came out while I was at work and replaced the bulb. I don't know why he did that because the noise was still there. Called BB again, and they sent the same tech. This time i made sure to be home. He said it was a bad color wheel, and needed to order the part. Finally it came and I called BB again. Sent the same tech out while I was at work. He replaced the color wheel. The noise is not as high pitched as it used to be, but there is still a noise. Is this normal? You can really only hear it when the shows I watch have no dialogue, but it is annoying considering the $$ I spent. Does everyone else have a hum coming from the back of your sets. When you are on your couch, should you be able to hear anything like that?

Thanks

T

Bob in Indio, CA
Unregistered guest
Re: my Samsung DLP 50" TV - After trying for 2 months to get authorized service (under warranty) to fix my 3 flashing light problem, I loaded it in my pick-up and got my money back from Sam's Club - no questions asked. They did not have any more DLP's available for sale (wonder why??), so I am now happy to no longer have to chase Samsung to fix a $3000 product (which I really wanted to like). I am no longer a guinea pig. LOL

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 362
Tmac,

Turn the set off. The color wheel stops immediately. The fans for the lamp and DMD board continue for a minute. Determine if the sound stops on power off or continues during cool down.
Then, call the tech back out.

Also, make sure you are not hearing some other component like your home theater receiver or other audio device through the speakers. The set should be very quiet from your couch.

TomBong
Unregistered guest
and the beat goes on!!1

TomBong
Unregistered guest
And by that I mean that the Samsung DLPs seem very reliable.

Tmac
Unregistered guest
FYI,

I turn the set off and the hum cntinues for another 10 seconds or so. Is that the color wheel or some other fan. The sound is coming from the TV for sure. Today, I had another BB come out and he left (while I was at work and my nannny was home with the kids), and he told her it was normal. Yet, I can vey plainly hear it from my couch. Grabted,m t is white noise, like a fan, but it is annoying. I may be picky, but it is much louder than when I bought it. Any advice?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 365
It isn't normal. The BB tech can go straight to hell for telling you it's normal. What an idiot!

It could be a fan. The only way to to be sure about the source is to have the back off and use a 3/8 diameter hose to pinpoint the source by ear. There is a safety switch that must be taped into place for the set to power up with the back off.

I'm against the BB tech myself. You are in the Samsung warranty period. You should be calling 1-800-SAMSUNG, prompts 2, 1, 3, 1 and have an authorized Samsung service center involved. They will make it quiet or replace it, period.

Anonymous

I am a new Samsung DLP owner whose set works just fine, thank you. Was browsing and found this site. Interesting.

Any one know what setting on my Internet Explorer will filter out the spam that TomBong spouts here?

Thanks.

TWWE
Unregistered guest
First of all, I was thinking about purchasing a new Samsung dlp set but I have a mitsubishi crt that is only 2 years old. It has a great picture and at the time for the price you couldnt beat it. The only thing is I want a new xbox 360 and it supports only 480p and 1080i and the standart games will be 720p. Tom Bong is right though, the burning problem really is minimal unless you leave your set on for days and forget it. Alot of pc gamers still use crts. Personally I dont think crt is superior but I do not think dlp is accomplished yet. It may be shiny and new but ALOT of people have problems with new sets. After reading about the lag problems with the dlp sets Im not sure I want it for gaming.

Dennis-DLP
Unregistered guest
Hi guys. I really hope you can help me here. First of all, this is going to be a very weird post so bare with me. My wife and I are quite well off but she won't allow me to get a new tv. I currently have a samsung DLP, an older gen versrion and she said the only way we can buy a new one is if it breaks. Now I've waited about 1.5 months so it doesn't look suspicious, but I'm in the clear now. I'm wondering what the easiest way to sabotage my tv is without anyone knowing I did it. I'm sure she'll call a tech but I want it to be an expensive repair so I can justify buying a new tv. Better yet, something I can do so even the repair tech isn't sure what the problem is.

If anyone here can give me a legitimate step by step way, and it proves to work,I'll send a company cheque, or western union $100 your way for the time spent to help me out. Thanks guys, appreciated.

DWK
Unregistered guest
I have a Samsung 5067 that is about 3 weeks old. I have started seeing intermittent examples of what I would call "Green video noise". It occurs on all sources. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it is severe. Characteristics, when happening, are: Neon Green speckles in dark areas of screen (especially disconcerting when watching someone talk.) Narrow green band at the edge of the picture (top and bottom) adjoining the black letterbox. Flipping channels up and down using the onboard tuner, the screen flares brilliant green, before settling down and displaying video. Doesn't happen when first turned on, seems to take time, but will stop abruptly. I'm planning on getting serviced but am wondering if anyone has seen this before.
Thanks!
Dan

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 368
Are you using a DVI/HDMI cable?

Digital connections from some signal sources can result in the kinds of artifacts you describe.

Try using component (Y, Pr, Pb) and see if it clears.

Do the artifacts appear with other signal sources?
Try a DVD input to see if it does the same thing.

DVI/HDMI is not a perfected technology. It has all kinds of glitches from audio drop out to video freezing, fragmenting, tiling, strange colored lines, etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
DLP Dennis;

"the easiest way to sabotage my tv is without anyone knowing I did it."

Accidents happen all the time. You might have been vacuuming and hit the TV stand and it fell over. Or was it that you were carrying a 2x4 to another room and you turned around only for the board to go straight thru the tv. Perhaps hanging a flower above the set and having your wife water it or even a glass of coke on-top of it only to spill thru.

Nothing lasts forever, it was a good TV while we had it, but first, and I SAY AGAIN FIRST, can you afford the outcome or will you have to wait for a replacement. I suggest that you do not finance it, either.

CU

DWK
Unregistered guest
Thanks FYI. Guess I wasn't as clear as I meant to be. It happens on internal tuner, external HD Cable box (component out), external DVD (component out). Comes on goes. Starts out as mild sprinkles of green, then fairly massive, then just abruptly stops. Local service guy showed up yesterday, sounded quite knowledgeable and discussed Samsung in some detail. Said he had never seen this before or heard of it. He will contact Samsung, and I will report back to the board. He assumes a bad light engine or driver board; hopes Samsung won't have him replace one light engine component at a time. Says Samsung has always given them excellent tech and parts support. Did say that since I am within 30 window to pick up extended warrantee he would suggest doing so. Called retailer (Nebraska Furniture Mart) yesterday and 5 year is $299 so I decided to go for it. Can get deluxe warrantee that will replace bulbs but the max is three years for same $299. He says prices of bulbs are dropping and he expects to see more competitors/suppliers showing up versus Toshiba, Philips, Osram.
Dan

Username: Atlantaarch

I'm new to here, so I hope this hasn't been covered already:

42" PIP solution

After hours and hours on the phone with Comcast, Samsung, and Best Buy, I found out the PIP on the Samsung 42" DLP (HL-R4266W) only works with a cable card or the antenna as the main picture. HDMI will not allow PIP. The way to set it up is use a cable card as your main picture input, then have a seperate digital box (for Comcast menu's, On demand, DVR) connected to the TV via component cables. Every other size of the Samsung DLP's offer the more expanded PIP options. Just wanted to let everyone interested in the 42" know of it's capabilities, or lack there of.

See page 104:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200503/20050322081524250_BP68-00496 A-01Eng.pdf

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 374
Really, it's all about the number of inputs you have. A single cable input is not split to both tuners internally. Any two inputs can be swapped in PIP mode. I have many inputs including security cameras, sat, cable, UHF antenna, and DVD. My PIP will swap any of them to the big picture.

DWK
Unregistered guest
Update on the 5067 with the green video "noise". A new light engine is on the way.

Dan

Username: Luclin999

USA

Post Number: 1
Was surfing and wandered into this site as I noticed the Samsung DLP was mentioned.

I've had my HLN5056 since Sept. '03 and hadn't had a moment's problem with it until about two weeks ago.

I noticed a high pitched buzzing/whine would occasionally be produced in the area near the bulb assembly.

I powered off the set and the noise continued until the fan powered off so I knew what the culprit was but instead of calling for service (it's under a 5 yr plan) I opened the cover and took a look.

I noticed that the edges of the fan had become coated in dust (just like what happens to many computer PS fans) and so I went ahead and used a can of compressed air to clean it off.

Problem solved.

I do NOT recommend that anyone try this themselves unless they are reasonably comfortable working inside of their electronics/computers as holding a can of compressed air the wrong way can result in the can spraying some small amount of liquid along with the air.

But if they know what they are doing, it can make for a fast, inexpensive fix to an annoying problem.

Username: Jtdlp

I recently purchased the 46in Samsung DLP and after about 2 months I started noticing what I think is a problem but maybe you guys can confirm it.

When I watch cable or DVD's, it almost seems like the refresh rate is messed up. If you see someone close up talking, parts of their face are moving at different speeds. It's almost like it takes a second for the right side of the screen to catch up with the left side. I guess a good example would be that it seems like the image is melting or liquid. Does this make any sense? As you can see I'm not technical at all but this is really starting to annoy me and I am considering taking the TV back and getting something else.

Anonymous

Have a Samsung DLP 507 with no picture. 2.5 years old. Techs arrived and reseated light. Went out again. What's going on -- worth the cost of a $750 kit?

Unregistered guest
Two and a half years ago I purchased a Samsung DLP 43" HLM437W. From the day I set it up, it's made a fairly loud buzzing sound which after two service calls I was made to believe was normal. Only after a friend bought a newer model did I realize that when working properly, they are dead silent. Within the last week the noise has got much worse to the point where you can't watch t.v. comfortably. From reading I've done on similar forums, I think the problem all along has been a bad color wheel. Has anyone here actually paid to have the color wheel replaced, and if so, how much did it cost? Abt Electronics service repair man is coming next Saturday, what can I expect to pay to get it fixed? I'm very disappointed about these seemingly common problems, because the picture quality is absolutely stunning on HD, it's just too damn noisy when the color wheel is bad.

Unregistered guest
On a related note, I see that you can order a new color wheel from samsung's parts website. Has anyone ever replaced the color wheel themselves? Is this a task that an electronics novice can perform? Wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means, but have installed computer memory and graphics chip myself, so somewhat knowledgable with electronics. Just trying to save myself a few bucks if at all possible. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 398
It's pretty simple and requires only a screwdriver. The wheel slides up from in front of the lamp. Two wire harnesses and two top mounted screws and out it comes. The whole light engine sits on a sliding tray.
I found it easier to loosen things up and slide the tray back a little.

Mr Thompson
Unregistered guest
Hey Observer: First of all, no I'm not tom bong in disguise. Second, I'm not into "relic" tvs but do recognize the fact that there are many critical issues that need to be resolved in regard to Samsung DLP. I have had my 50 in. DLP serviced twice and I've only owned it for 2 months. If you check enough forums, many others have had the exact same problem.

Anyway, on the latest visit the Samsung tech. replaced the "DLP engine" which is the lamp,ballast,and just about everything else attached to the main board. I have not had a problem since but I'm waiting for the next hardware failure to occur.

Smooth Move Ex Lax
Unregistered guest
In other words you bought the 5063 right?

Username: Hillboy

Post Number: 7
very interestin thread, as the owner of a sony rp lcd I just was surfing for dlp rp problems. Makes me glad I bought the lcd rp over the dlp. I have had 1 issue with the light engine which was replaced.

Not so fast there buddy
Unregistered guest

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/137540.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Bill D.;

Welcome. It's hard to judge this far into the event. People here are bias one way or another.

I mean, if 10,000 people bought Samsung and 500 had problems would be the same as if 1,000 people buying Sony's with 50 reported problems.

No one knows at this time.

I have a Sony, like you.

I think the best technology here is the "Extended Warantee" which is another thread in itself. It guarantees me not having to explain to my wife why a $4,000.00 tv isn't working and not having to pay for it to get fixed.

I'll will say one thing though, whatever wins, SED, DLP, plasma, LCDRP, LCD, ..., I certainly hope that it costs a lot less when I'm buying again.

Username: Bill_ohio

Ten Steps to DLP happiness.

1.I have a Samsung 46 DLP. I love the picture. My friends love HD football on it and we have great Monday night football parties.

2.I bought it because the picture is superior to the LCD's. (It really is, this my post and no need to argue), I even had them bring over a plasma flat screen and the DLP was still better.

3.My DLP TV is 12 months old and the noise coming from the back can only mean bad things await me. Very loud now. Its gotten louder over the past month. I can hear it from the couch now at 10 paces away.

4.I bought the 4 year extended warranty and I that's why I'm not crying.

5.Never... ever....... buy new technology ( and or Samsung DLP) with out an extended warranty....

6.I was lucky my buddy was with me and talked me into it. Rule: Take buddy with you, whose sole job is to talk you into buying the warranty.

7.I saw above that many people believe that this forum is a bunch of rants on Samsung products. Don't know about all that, but to them I say do a google search on "Samsung dlp problems" and you'll get results spanning the net. There are people even ranting on Amazon about the problems they have had.

8.Did I mention that you should buy the extended warranty???

9.Did I mention that if you do not, then you are a fool?

10.Any questions on how to buy a Samsung DLP and Samsung DLP happines? Start again at number 1 until it sinks in.

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 31
I love the post bill. You need to buy the extended warranty on any new technology,LCD,DLP,LCOS and Plasma.Don't get stuck with a problem but always negotiate the price of these things.

Username: Kenjr

Philadelphia, Pa Usa

Ok, I bought a 5067 in march 05, about 2 days ago it started shutting off. We watch it for 20-40min sometimes shorter and it shuts off and won't go back on till I assume it cools down. I was thinking it was just a fan But when i opened it up to check they were both running. There nothing wrong with the picture or sound. Are the fan running to slow? I'm still covered, gonna call samsung tomorrow when i get home from work.

Anyone else have this problem? what can i do to fix it?

Thanks

Marc Robert
Unregistered guest
Since this thread is designed to share the good and bad, I hope what I am contributing here helps someone....

I have a 2 1/2 year old HLN507W. I bought it at a reputable store, and had the good fortune of having a salesman who was also a tech affecianado who I ended up spending countless hours talking to about TV's..He was also responsible for the sales floor, so he lined up ALL the best sets in a row, so it would be easy for customer to see the various picture differences, both subtle and extreme....I learned all I could and ended up buying the DLP......with the extended warranty.....

8 month ago, I noticed a high pitched noise, and called for service. This company's in-house repair was and has been nothing less than excelent.

Bottom line: After 4 + service calls which included Light Engines and supporting boards, the Tech recommended I take advantage of the replacemnt option/buy out by the EW provider.

I am in the process of doing so now, and will be credited about 70%....not great, but it is something.....as I am not a gambler, the EW did in this case provided a cushion.......

I do wish all to know that I don't consider myself a novice in technolgy and service, as I was in the service feild in a similar industry for 28 years......everything from R&D to Factory service operations.....The point being that even though one does his homework, no guaranttes exist that your purchase of any device will not suffer a failure.

Please don't take the following as anything but an observation.......

Each time a tech arrived (and this Auth Service company serviced many different brands) I always as a courtsy met the tech at the curb to see if I could asist him in carrying anything in......Plus it gave me the opportunity to peek inside his service van.....just curiousity.....and in all cases, I noticed they always stocked at least 5 Samsung and Mitsubishi Light engines on the truck.....(meaning that you keep the fastest moving items on board to allow for one trip repairs)

I also should say that I continue to appreciate the overall picture and ops of this set.......and would not hesitate replacing it with another Samsung DLP....but some of us seem to have a common issue with failure....one that can't be explained other than it is a moving part......and has a MTBF that is not as predictable as the designers hoped

As I told my customers who had repeated failures of very expensive equipment....."Unfortunatley, no perfection exists in any industry.....Millions of dollars are spent on Satelites...each component is made where money is not a concern, yet these devices (and the Space Shuttle) have failures....a truth that exists.....all we can do is try to find the best product we can for the dollars we are willing to spend...

All the techs whom I had the pleasure to meet allowed me to ask many questions,and I have learned I beleive quite a bit about these sets.....and I always got a smile from them when I asked my favorite question of them.."If YOU were going to buy a Set tomorrow, what would YOU buy?"

In each case, all said basically the same...

1) All Tv's have their pluses and minuses

2) The dollars spent do not always guarantee longevity

In other words, they too know that service is inevitable....

For those curious, even though my DLP was built with a "2nd" generation engine, and Samsung is now producing a 5th Gen engine, I am looking to replace it with a Panasonic Plasma.....something that I was hesitant with at first, but even though boards fail, moving parts in the DLP engine seem to have a higher incidence of failure, in less years than I now find comfortable...

Again.....this was for informational purposes only....and I do beleive Samsung makes a fine product.....

Marc

stumacdo
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I've had my HLR-5067W for @ 3 months now and have been quite happy with it. However, I've noticed on extremely clear scenes what appears to be some sort of smudge on the bottom left of my screen. i first thought it was junk on the actual screen, but after cleaning it made no difference. It's only visible on light scenes, but it's definitely visible. Any ideas ? I purchased the EW from BB when I got it, if there's a problem, do I just call BB or go right to Samsung ? Thanks in advance.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 407
Never call BB in the first factory warranty year.
They might haul your set away for weeks over a remote control issue. hehe

Call 1-800-SAMSUNG, prompts 2, 1, 3, 1 and let an authorized tech take a look.

That's a single piece screen, which is an improvement over past designs, but something may have been jilted during transport.

stumacdo
Unregistered guest
FYI - thanks for the advice. Called up Samsung and was patched through to authorized techs. They're ordering 2 replacement screens and will be out in 1-2 weeks. So far, what a good experience. Both the rep at Samsung and the one authorized tech were both quite friendly and knowledgeable. Per the tech, this 'smudging' is a known issue and one they have to address all the time. Thanks again !

Unregistered guest
bought 61 inch samsung 20 months ago.the whining started 2 weeks ago,the tech bb sent out said he had done these before.after about an hour he gave up on trying to remove colorwheel.told him i wanted to see what the problem was, to my dismay i noticed a crack in the colorwheel housing.he couldn't leave fast enough, claiming he had to call samsung because he has never seen one like mine.after he left i took a flashlight to see the extent of the damage he had done,not only could i see a break in the housing i saw the screws he didn't see on back side of housing.went nuts on bb for sending someone not familiar with these sets and e mailed them pictures of the mess he left,the damage and the damn screws the j@@!!ss forgot before trying to force it free.am now waiting on warranty company for a decision.they have yet to speak to tech because he came on friday at 6pm.fully expect him to deny his incompetance.pissed off? yeh about 6500$ worth.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 409
Great BB service monkey story.
Don't sweat it. The customer is always right.
You will most likely get a whole new light engine out of it, new lamp and all.
What a bonehead!

LarryG
Unregistered guest
According to Bong:
"Digital is perfect...ones and zeros..Its the implimentation and programing that is imperfect and the myriald of manufacture claimed formats all in the name of profits. Sony..ATRAC? IPOD AAC......The only honest and great technology is by those who support open source where there can be made some profits...but not the propietary kind...See Linux in PCs, MP3 in music, GSM in wireless, MOzilla and the list goes on.....all making people money all constantly improving in flexibility and costs (no R&D recoupmemnt just piggyback advancement advancement."

I humbly submit that anyone who would pay the slightest bit of attention to anything posted by the author of that has serious judgement problems.

Anonymous

wobulation? should i go with that tech or stick with the samsung dlp? Also, where can i go to get the best price for the Samsung HL-R5078W. Most places don't carry it...like BB or CC. Best price so far including shipping is 2800. hope i can get away w/ it for 26. Possible? Thanks a lot.

DWK
Unregistered guest
Can anyone steer me to tips on setting the color and related picture settings on the Samsung 5067? I have the Avia disk on the way but would like any help I can find short of paying several hundred dollars to have it calibrated. Biggest problem is I can't "kill" the tendency toward green. Turning down the color to 45 has helped the tendency for all colors, especially yellow and green, to practically glow. Turning down the green has helped tone down blondes with "chlorine pool" hair, etc. but doesn't go far enough. It would help if I could adjust the color controls while viewing a freeze frame on an HD channel from the Motorola cable box, but every time I try it pops up the silly girl at the golf course pictures which is so blue/green heavy you can't do anything and doesn't seem to relate meaningfully to the "real" input signal. If anyone has values they have used successfully I would appreciated it. Right now color is 45, tone is natural, blue and pink are 50, and green is down around 35.

Thanks!

Dan

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 427
Anon,

Wobulation is an HP invention implimented on all Texas Instruments 1080P chips for now. TI has recently developed a non-wobulated 1080P chip that's not yet available.
The HL-R5668 is the exact same set as the 78 internally, but with a "floating screen" cabinet design. You can get a little bigger screen for a little less money.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=10621273&search=hlr+5668

Dan,

Take the green back to 50 and try menu-settings-color weakness. My green color weakness is on 2. Then go back and reduce green if you need to. If you're not used to bright colors you can further reduce the color level. My contrast is on 95 to bring definition to dark scenes without washing out color from too much brightness. My brightness is on 53 for my ambient window light in the room. My sharpness is on 30. All three colors are on 50. My Mode is Standard. My color tone is set to Normal. These settings were derrived and carried over to off-air input from a THX setup on the DVD input. They may or may not work for your situation.

DTD
Unregistered guest
Thanks FYI!!!

By the way...This is the Anon guy with the wobulation question.

So in referrence to your advice, should I just go with the HL-R5667 instead of the HL-R5668? What is the benefit of the 68 over the 67? I'm reading the stuff on their site...but please help me by giving it to me in laymans terms.

Thanks!
-DTD
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us