EDTV to HDTV???

Username: Hatchet

Memphis, TN Shelby

Post Number: 1
I won a plasma TV, a SVA HD4208TIII-PDP. I have just realized that its not HDTV, but rather EDTV. The Owners Manual states that it supports HDTV. Does this mean that I need some sort of converter?? I have a HD Cable Box with HDMI, but the plasma only accepts DVI, can I run a Monster Cable HDMI/DVI cable between the two and receive HD quality video??

Please advise.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 676
Patrick, from what little info on this TV I can find, there is no mention of a DVI input. There is a VGA computer input, which is not compatible with the HDMI output on your cable box. You should have (if this TV supports HDTV signals) a YPbPr component input which you can use to connect the component video output on your cable box.

However, with a native resolution of 852 X 480, this TV falls way short of the minimum pixel count required for HD performance. A minimum vertical display resolution of 720p or higher is needed, whereas your set maxes at 480p. The TV will downconvert the HD signal to fit the resolution of its screen layout. This means that, while the picture may be very good, it is not, nor can it be true HD. (At least the price was right!)

DVDs, with a maximum vertical resolution of 480, should look mighty fine on this TV.

Username: Hatchet

Memphis, TN Shelby

Post Number: 2
Thanks John, That will save me $100.00, now that I know that the HDMI to DVI cabling isn't going to work on this TV. Thanks for your expertise!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us