Splitting Cable Signal

newmex999
Unregistered guest
Does splitting a feed from the cable company cause it to degrade? I currently have a 2 way splitter going to another 2 way splitter.

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 13
each splitter can add considerable losses to the original signal. Splitters, connectors, long cable runs, all cause signal loss.

It is best to "home run" all the TV coax back to a location near where the cable company coax enters the house. Use one larger splitter, or better yet, a "distribution amplifier" which adds enough amplification to overcome the downstream losses.

good source of equipment: MCM Electronics
www.mcminone.com

their sales events are really good for cables, amps, distribution stuff.

G-man VT
Unregistered guest
I have exsteded cable plus HBO package
and a cable box from adelphia. I have
split to another room to a cable ready
TV and it works good for exsteded cable.
My question is: do I need a second cable
box for the second TV to get HBO or is
there a filter available to give me the
same channnels subscribed on my first
TV with cable box?
Thanks
G-man

Clark Cable
Unregistered guest
"It is best to "home run" all the TV coax back to a location near where the cable company coax enters the house"
The following example does not include the loss in the cable itself for clarity. Say you have 8dB strength coming into your house and home run off a 4-way splitter. Each leg loses about 7dB so you are left with 1dB to each tv. All 4 tvs should work fine. Now, say you run a single cable and use a splitter for each tv. The first splitter loses 3.5dB so the first tv gets 4.5 dB. The second splitter loses another 3.5 leaving 1dB for the second tv. The 3rd splitter adds another 3.5 loss (-10.5dB total loss) leaving -2.5dB to the last two tvs. Your last two tvs may start to look snowy.

New-TV-Guy
Unregistered guest
I have a similar stiuation to G-Man. I have a package with channels 2-77 and a movie package (HBO, Etc.). This subscription is hooked up to my main TV (analog) with a cable box. I split the signal to a bedroom with a cable ready analog TV and the basic plus works great. To get my subscribed channels on the second TV do I need a cable box? Or will a digital converter work? I am suggesting a digital converter because the movie package is above channel 200 and I assume this is a digital signal. If the digital converter is the way to go do I need a filter? I assume this is all legal because I pay for my sercice.
Thanks for all imput.
New-TV-Guy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us