Cable Card Missing Channels

Username: Bellboy

Lawn Guyland, NY

Post Number: 1
Using Samsung DLP and Cablevision Long Island. Cable Card receives all but 15 channels. Channels are not clustered - it's one here, one there, but all are premium channels.

Cablevision came out twice and spent a lot of time and used different Cable Cards - still a problem. They left saying it's a Samsung problem.

I worked with Samsung Level 2 support and brought up diagnostic screens. The FAT Signal-to-Noise Ratio reported shows the good channels in a range of 30-33 and the bad channels in the range 20-23.

I've seen other posts that mention this, but have not read any explanations of what SNR is really telling me or how to correct it. I have a hard time believing that it's the coax feed's signal strength, because the same signal works through STB (yes, I am now paying for both a CC and STB).

Since I see this pattern of SNR in 20-22 range, I tend to believe it's a Cablevision problem. I also have to believe others have similar problems. Before I call Cablevision AGAIN, I'd like to know what to ask for -- another new CC, a signal amplifier, a new PCMCIA carrier.

Thanks,

Jay

Mike0607
Unregistered guest
Just curious as to what channels are missing. Not real familiar with Cablevision, but we recently deployed Switched Digital in the TW system I work in. CC customers lost all West Coast premium channel feeds when they were moved to switched.

Not sure if Cablevision has deployed any switched, or how they package it, but it uses 2 way communication. CC Tvs are currently only one way, and so unable to send a request for a switched channel.

May be a little bit of a stretch. Cablevision folks should know if this situation exists, but depending on the person you talk to, you can't always be sure they got the memo.

Username: Bellboy

Lawn Guyland, NY

Post Number: 4
Missing channels appear random. 2 out of 9 HBOs; 3 out of 10 Cinemax; VH1 Classic; Nickelodeon GAS.

When you say "Cablevision folks should know" you give too much credit. If they were smart enough to recognize a pattern like Switched Digital, then they would have solved my problems by now.

Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us