Panasonic TH-50PV500A - Ratio Question

Username: Tug

Post Number: 1
Greetings All,

I have just purchased the above Pana model, new one on the market, came with a stand, and yes, they only put one mounting pin in the box, good job fellows.

Anyways, I have my DVD player hooked up to the Plasma, with standard Yellow(Video)White/Red cable that I used with my old CRT. (Waiting on my CDMI cable).

I run the dvd, and the picture looks pretty good considering im using a crap cable, but for some reason I cannot get it to run in a full screen of 16/9. Is this because of my Cable? Its running in 16:9 only way I get full picture is to zoom in, defines the purpose tho as it loses alot of the picture.

The picture looks like watching a DVD thats recorded in 16:9 on a 4:3 aspect CRT TV, with like a 3rd of blackness on top and bottom, and 1/3 is the picture in middle.

They also look a little fat in body size :P, Im thinking its the cable im using, doesnt support a high frequency or something.

I get my new cables and my Toshiba HD duel channel recording digital box in a couple days. I could of bought some component cables, but thought whats point when I can use the HDMI tecnology.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 350
Well plenty to fix here.

1. USe compnent cables- HDMI is frought with problems. Eventually HDMI will be the standard, when they decide on that standard. Newer and digital is not better. Folks that report better pics with HDMI simply had poor dvd players to start with in general. There arent any questions or debates about the problems with HDMI technology--its the chipset at the player and display itslef, not the actual cable.

2. You need to set your DVD player and display BOTh to the correct aspect ratio, and thats your problem. Use of composite is not the issue, but isnt a very good choice for picture quality as you know.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us