Archive through July 09, 2005

Username: Acesar2004

Newyork, Flushing Usa

Post Number: 1
I have my new dvd recorder for 4 month and I have not beeen able to ecord.Tell me if I have to do something with the SET UP.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 402
What brand is it and what are you trying to record from.

Username: Acesar2004

Newyork, Flushing Usa

Post Number: 2
hi! I will appreciate your help.
1.My dvd is AR-230 form Gateway
2.I want to record from MY TV.THE MANUAL SAYS TO PRESS source to change to TV BEFORE RECORDING BUT IT IS NOT CHANGING.
3. please tell me about tehe connections.

Thank you

Silver Member

Post Number: 410
I still don't know what you're trying to record from. If it's cable or an antenna then connect the incoming cable to the in on the recorder. Then go into the menus and set the input on cable or antenna whichever you are using, then autoprogram the channels.

Unregistered guest
I am having the same problem. I just got a Brooksonic Recorder and I have not been able to record from the television. I have a Mitsubishi television

Username: Dmissroon

Jacksonville, Fl USA

Help!!!! I have the same problem. I have a Big Screen TV (1997) 7 yrs old. I bought an Emerson DVD Recorder with Video Cassette Recorder. I have worked for 9 hours trying to hook it up correctly. I have a cable box. I bought one of the Stereo Audio/Video Selector with S video Inputs. I have configured the wiring in every possible way. (Ironically wanted to record The Wire)he he. Have to keep a sense of humor lol. Anyway, The DVD Player will play CDs, my tv works okay through the cable. The problem is that I am unable to record anything on dvd from the tv, when i put it on chanel 3 or 4, there is just snow. I drew a diagram of how the wires are configured now. What have I done wrong? Is there something wrong with the recorder or do I just have some wires crossed? Please help.

Jacksonville, Fl USA

Also was able to auto some presets only basic channels not cable channels. Thanks

Jacksonville, Fl USA

Post Number: 3
thanks for responding. I am not hooking up to a computer. Only DVD/VCR to cable box and Big Screen TV using a set top box? (i think that is what it is called, its for older tvs that don't have the white red and yellow cables). Anyway, I want to use the tuner on the DVD/VCR, all I get is snow. It won't even record, I guess because the presets are not set because all I get is snow, no picture. Do I need a splitter coming from the cable box? Sorry to be so detailed, its just frustrating. Help!!!!! Thanks

Jacksonville, Fl USA

Post Number: 4
I finally figured it out, thanks for you help nonetheless.

Username: Lcconrad

I need help connecting ALL of the following: Sony RDR-GX300 DVD Recorder, JVC HR-A43U VCR, JVC two tuner Picture in Picture television, and a Scientific Atlantic Cable Box (no audio/video components). We have everything working except the picture in picture.

Unregistered guest
HELP! I've just bought a DVD Recorder. I now have the Recorder, a Video, and satellite box. I can use the dvd recorder to record off the normal TV, but how do you record off satellite? Also, I can't record using my VCR. I'm not sure which cable goes where. Does anyone have a diagram or know where I can find one to connect everything correctly? (That's without trying to record off my camcorder!!!)

Username: Vernski

I want to add a DVD recorder to my present system: a TV and a VHS recorder. I do not have a cable box and what I hope to end up with is the capability to watch and record TV programs thru the VHS and the DVD recorders. Is there a way to do this?

Username: Pstanton

Wayne, PA USA

Anyone who has had experience linking the following type components--I would appreciate if you could share your success.. I have purchased a new Pioneer 310 DVD player/recorder, and am trying to record cable TV.. I am a Comcast Digital subscriber.. Ideally I would like to be able to record off their hi-def channels which are in the "200's".. This recorder only allows programming up to Channel 125..Is there a way around this dilemma?

Silver Member

Post Number: 551
If the cable box has RCA or s-video outputs use those to connect the recorder. You don't use the recorders tuner with digital cable, you use the box.

Unregistered guest
I have an Hitachi TV with a single tuner picture in picture (PIP) and comcast cable with a Motorola digital cable box. I am attempting to hook up a pioneer dvd recorder. I have run my cable from my cable box to the dvd recorder but when I run the cable from the DVD to my TV VHF/UHF input I get no picture. When I run the cable from my DVD to the Aux input in my TV my cable works but my DVD on functions is only on the PIP which does not receive the cable. Anyone have an idea or solution?

Unregistered guest
Just got an Emerson DVD recorder with video cassette recorder and can not get any sort of menu or display to show anywhere on TV or unit window. What's up? should i take it back to the store and get replacement?

Username: Skwrlgirl

I am trying to hook up RCA DVD Recorder to Comcast Digital Cable and TV. I have tried all sorts of configurations and nothing is reading to the DVD Recorder (only snow). The response from Comcast is "The Digital box does not have an s-video connection to plug the DVD recorder
into. The DVD recorder is not compatible with the Digital box." oh yes in addition we can hook you up with DVR for 9.95 per month! Prior to the installation of Digital Cable I had analog and everything worked just fine. If anyone knows how i can record with my DVD Recorder please advise. Thanks.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Give me the exact model number and manufacturer of your digital cable box and I should be able to help.

xvxvxvx

Thanks for a quick reply -- digital cable box is Motorola DCT2224

Username: Pstanton

Wayne, PA USA

Can I jump in here too? I have the same problem as Roberta. My comcast digital cable box is Motorola DCT5100.. any advice appreciated

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
I can help Pete but Roberta may be SOL. Pete your cable box does have an S-Video output, just use it and everything should work fine. Roberta as a last resort your box should have RCA jacks for an analog outoput for your recorder. The quality will be somewhat lower than S-Video but at least it should work. Personally I would take the DVR offer for $9.95/ mth. I have a Panasonic W-80 and an E-85 DVD recorders. Plus 2 Motorola DCT-6412's leased for mmy cable comopany to record HD and I love them.

Good luck to both of you,

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the info -- yes the box does have RCA output jacks -- could you tell me exactly how to hook it up? I now know RCA output from cable box to RCA input of dvd recorder -- what about connection to tv and exactly how should the cable line be set up. Normally I get these things to work without a problem -- but I think I'm on circuit overload at this point.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the help -- I'm up and running now even without the S-video and it's working great.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
You are welcome Roberta, glad I was able to help.

xvxvxvx

Lynette
Unregistered guest
Help!! I need help connecting the following products:
Audiovox DVD home theater system, Model#ST525B
Zenith DVR413 DVD Recorder
DirectTV Receiver D10
Daewoo TV, Model#DTQ-29S1FCN and a
Toshiba VCR, Model#W-522
I want to be able to record on DVD from the VCR, TV and DVD player. Thanks in advance.

Becki
Unregistered guest
I also need help connecting the following so I can record from my satellite receiver. I have a Sony KP 57HW40 TV, a Sony SAT HD300 satellite receiver and a Sony RDR GX300 DVD recorder.

Becki
Unregistered guest
I also need help connecting the following so I can record from my satellite receiver. I have a Sony KP 57HW40 TV, a Sony SAT HD300 satellite receiver and a Sony RDR GX300 DVD recorder.

Unregistered guest
I'm thinking of buying a DVD/VCR Recorder Combo. Presently I connect my cable to the VCR then to the digital cable box. Reason for this is so I don't have to have the TV on the channel being recorded, which is the case if the cable box is connected before the VCR. My question is: will this same method of connection work with the DVD/VCR Recorder.

Unregistered guest
i have a panasonic dvd r and i am trying to hook it to my dvr up how do im am not getting anything.

Carla Ranae
Unregistered guest
Trying to hook up an Apex dvd to a symphonic tv. Have cable but no cable box. Yes, I am a moron.

corker58
Unregistered guest
hello, im trying to figure out out to get all of the channels to go into my dvd recorder, i can only get up to 125 channels in there, so i cant recorde anything higher then that

corker58
Unregistered guest
hello, im trying to figure out out to get all of the channels to go into my dvd recorder, i can only get up to 125 channels in there, so i cant recorde anything higher then that

Username: Bluz9

Ooltewah, Tennessee USA

We have just purchased a panasonic E75VS DVD/VCR Recorder combo. I also have a dish network satellite and an older sanyo tv with a single cable connection (only) on the back. I am trying to correctly connect the tv,vcr/dvd combo and satellite and I am not having any luck. We had purchased an RCA dvd/vcr combo and I had connected it no problem...but we wanted a different unit that would record dvds that were compatible with our portable unit, so we purchased the panasonic. The RCA was only connected in three places. the three color coded wires (red, white and yellow) went from the satellite receiver to the dvd/vcr input on the dvd/vcr. Then a coax cable straight from satellite dish connected to the antenna in on the dvd/vcr. The last connection went from the satellite receiver to the other to the antenna out coax on the dvd/vcr. the unit played just fine. I thought the connections to the panasonic would be similar...but I messed up somewhere because when I hook up...the tv plays fine but the auto setup I am supposed to get to help set the dvd/vcr does not come on the tv screen. There is a set-up disk that you can play to help you with set-up...but you cannot see it either. You can however, see it playing in the background of the tv set on whatever show you are watching.......Can someone please help a dummy? Please speak in laymens terms. Thanks!

Unregistered guest
Can I hook up a DVD Recorder and be able to record from my SA8000HD's DVR as well as live television at seperate times of course? Basically I want to be able to record sporting events direct to the DVD-R and be able to dub from the SA8000HD's DVR to the DVD-R.

Kristin
Unregistered guest
I have the dct2224 also and I am trying to hook it up to my APEX AD1000 DvD player and Toshiba VCR and RF modulator from Radio Shack. My Tv does not have any connections other than the cable and power. I read the previous posts but can not make sense of them in my situation. I read about the S video cable...do you think thats what we need here?

russell j redman
Unregistered guest
hi
just purchased a LITEON 5002 DVD recorder how do i connect between a cable box and a tv, the tv has two scarts, the cable box is just a co-axial input/output. any help please

Username: Rabradley

HI,
I just bought a Magnavox MRV640 DVR and I want to hook it up to a satellite reciver I am only getting channels up to 125 how do I get the higher channels? I really need help before I put a bullet in this piece of equipment!!!!!

Ara
Unregistered guest
Well i have a question my self...i am a female that doesnt know much about cars.i want to give my boyfriend a dvd player to install in his car..and i am not sure where to start!Guys i would appreciate all the help i cant get.

Ara
Unregistered guest
Well i have a question my self...i am a female that doesnt know much about cars.i want to give my boyfriend a dvd player to install in his car..and i am not sure where to start!Guys i would appreciate all the help i cant get.

gtracey
Unregistered guest
I have a sony tv, sony dvd recorder, sky+ box what is the best way to connect all this up. I tried but now I can't use my sky+ remote to switch from tv to sky+, I can only switch using my dvd remote. Not sure how I can record from my sky+ planner onto disc.

Unregistered guest
I recently got the New motorola Comcast Duel Tuner Dvr HD and I am trying to figure out a way to record off of the DVR to my Sony VCR With Dish I did not have a prob any help would be great

Username: Dogsndolls2

I have an older Sanyo TV with only one antenna jack in the back, no other hookup points. I have been trying to hook up both a VCR (Sanyo VWM-330), and a Magnovox DVR player/recorder (MDV630R/17) to it. I am also using a Magnavox RF modulator due to the fact that the TV has only an antenna jack. The modulator has a switch on it that switches manually back and forth between "mod" and "ant."

I recently spent the better part of the day on the phone with a technician from Magnavox trying to set this up so that both VCR and DVR could be used. The best we could do was to hook it so that I could watch off of either if I switched the modulator from mod to ant. I could also record off of the VCR, but not off of the DVR. The DVR screen reads "no signal."
Today, I tried again, trying to get an antenna signal into both the VCR and DVR, but could not. The DVR screen reads "NO SIGNAL."
I have cable w/out a cable box. Right now, the cable comes thru co-ax into the VCR, co-ax out of there into "ant in" on modulator. co-ax out of "to TV" on modulator into the jack on the TV.
Also from the VCR output jacks there is a yell plug going to the DVR ext2 IN video, and a white, splitting into a white and red going into the Ext2 IN audio. On the OUT side of tthe DVR there is a red,white and yell going to the matching jacks on the modulator.
So, how can I change this set up to allow me full use of both VCR and DVR and even possibly transfer my VHS tapes to DVDs?

Unregistered guest
NEED INFORMATION ON CONNECTING SATELLITE DVR TO COMPUTER (DELL) TO BURN DVR RECORDINGS TO DVD. HOW DO I DO IT?

Flummoxed
Unregistered guest
Hi ~ I'm trying to hook up my DVR for digital cable to my VCR. We have an A/B switcher so we can watch DVDs, the VCR is hooked up to the standard cable, but I want to transfer my recorded programs on the DVR to VCR tape. I've tried hooking my red, yellow, and white cables from the back of the DVR to the back of the VCR, but I get nothing. WHat am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Flummoxed

Unregistered guest
HELP! I have a Sony Trinitron HD TV, a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD (HD DVR) and I just purchased an Emerson VCR/DVD Recorder combo (model EWR20V4). I need help to get the connections right. Currently, I can record from my DVR on to a DVD, but no sound is transferred to the DVD. I've spent numerous hours and wasted several DVD-R's to no avail. ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Flummoxed
Unregistered guest
Oops - never mind - I had to switch the VCR input to Line 2 and all was well. Hope my stupidity helps someone else.

Username: Saldae

Please I need help!!

I just got Digital cable from Comcast. My problem is the same as everyone on this forum : can't record. When the VCR starts recording, the TV screen turns blue and all what I get is snow.

TV : Sharp
VCR : JVC HR-XVC 20U
Satellite box : Motorola DCT2224

How can I get rid of that problem please!!!

If you wanna send a private message, please send to mammasse@yahoo.com but I'd like it to be posted on this forum so that everybody will take advantage of it.

Thanks a lot

Unregistered guest
My question is pretty much the same as everyone else's except I am trying to hook up my vcr straight to comcast digital cable so I can by pass the Tivo box and record one channel while TV is recording another. The cable is on a splitter, one to the tivo and the other to the vcr. All I get on the vcr is a blue screen and snow on the recording but I can watch tapes just fine. You can email privately if you want

Soletecher
Unregistered guest
I hooked up my DVD player to a new TV and I can only get audio but no picture on the TV. ANy suggestions?

Rob2003
Unregistered guest
Hey I need help bad before I throw this crap out the window

I'm trying to record dvd to dvd.

I have this " go dvd" and I am trying to hook my dvd player up so that while I'm playing a dvd I can record it at the same time, can someone please help me

Silver Member

Post Number: 730
You need a stabilizer to copy DVDs.

Username: Jeffob13

Louisville, Ky USA

I need to know how to hook up a High DEF TIVO Box to my DVD recorder.. I can play DVD's fine.. The
TV & DVD player are hooked together with Component cables.. But my HD TIVO Direct TV box is connected to the 61" DLP HD TV with DVI cable.. How do I connect the DVD player to record
Dir TV programming on the DVD recorder?? Also
when I put a DVD+R disc it say disc error. Is
DVD-R & DRD+R two different things. If so, wht would they make them so similar but not the same??? HELP

Silver Member

Post Number: 741
DVD-R and DVD+R are two seperate formats. Panasonic, JVC, Pioneer are all DVD-R. DVD+R was invented by companies that didn't want to pay royalties for using the DVD-R format. I don't know what outputs that box has, but the recorder has to be connected with RCA jacks, an s-video cable, or coax.

Username: Jeffob13

Louisville, Ky USA

Now I know I need to buy DVR-R discs.. But here is my question.. To record satillite programing
how do I connect the satillite box to the dvd recorder? I have the red-yellow-white connectors
& red-blue-green conponent connectors..& since
I have a hd tv & tivo box the tivo box is connected to the tv with dvi cable, so I can't
split signal with splitter and run it through the
dvd recorder (Like the instructions say) So!!!
My hd tivo box has and "out" do I connect them using the "compenent" video wires??

Silver Member

Post Number: 742
If the Tivo box has RCA outputs that is what you use to connect to the DVD recorder. An s-video cable is better if the Tivo has s-video output. The red, yellow, white would be the wires to use if it doesn't have s-video.

maipsyche
Unregistered guest
I'm hoping someone can help. I have a Samsung HD tv, a scientific Atlantaic Explorer 8000HD DVR, and I just bought a JVC DR-MV1S VCR/DVD recorder. I can watch both VHS tapes and DVDs but when I try to watch channels through my DVD player so that I can record I get nothing. I have hooked the player up to a tv without a cable box and it worked fine so I know the problem is with the cable to player connection. I talked to JVC twice and they say it should work with just the coax cables. What cables do I need to get and what do I need to do???
My husband just left for Iraq and I need to tape and send all his favorite season finales!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 752
If you aren't using a cable box, connect the cable to the in on the recorder. Then go into the channel setup menus and set the antenna/cable select to cable, then autoprogram the channels.

maipsyche
Unregistered guest
I am trying to use the cable box though. I read somewhere online that HD boxes need to be hooked up to the recorder differently. I want to be able to record off my DVR.

HANA
Unregistered guest
IS IT POSSIBLE TO RECORD PAL SYSTEM VIDEOS USING A STANDARD DVD RECORDER LIKE EMERSON DVD RECORDER, AND BE ABLE TO WATCH THE RECORDED DVD ON A STANDARD NTSC TV?

Silver Member

Post Number: 757
maipsyche, if the cable box has an s-video output use that to connect to the DVD recorder, then connect the RCA audio jacks. If it doesn't have an s-sideo output then use RCA jacks for video too. Then set the recorder on whatever input the connections are on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 758
HANA, I guess when you say videos you mean VHS. You need a multi-format VCR, rare and expensive if you're in the U.S.

maipsyche
Unregistered guest
Thanks David I'll try it tomorrow and let you know!

Mal
Unregistered guest
I have a Motorola dual tuner set top box with every conceivable variation for hookup under the sun. The problem is, my TV has only straight RF -no s-video ... I tune to channel 3, which it says to do, and it snows (I'm sick of that stuff) Is there a way around this (adapter or something?) I want to stay away from an rf modulator if I possibly can. Thanks in advance!

sput
Unregistered guest
hi, yes im a female, how do you hook up a dvd to tv/cable box? thanks

Username: Acuneedler

I've got the same problem as many, hooking up my dvd recorder(Panasonic DMR ES10)
dvd player(Sony DVP-NS575P
DVR(Hughes SD DVR 40)
A/V Receiver(Sony STRDE897)
TV(Sony KF-60WE610)
I've looked all through my manuals and they only explain the setup for some but not all of the components. I've been all over the net as well but with little luck. Please I need help and it would be very much appreciated! I'm getting lost in the cable mess, I've got component, composite, s-video, rca cables all over the floor, help!

Thanks,
Steve

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Steve,

Just use common sense, after all minimum wage people hook these up for as living, it is not brain surgery.

Every video component must reach your TV somehow, every audio component must reach your receiver somehow. Hook up each component one at a time.

Rinse, wash and repeat.

xvxvxvx

Username: Syersmike

Recently purchased Sony RDRHX900 DVD recorder and having problem.I cannot get the "Set Top Box Control" to control my satellite receiver.I know the set top box control has to be placed directly over the infra-red receiver on the satellite receiver but evidentally I can't find the infra-red receiver.Does anyone know where the infra-red receiver is located on a Philips model# DSX5353R receiver?Also, I have cable without cable box and satellite,should I be able to record from either connection?

Unregistered guest
hi.
same question as many others.
Tv mitsubushi 2 scart,s-video,jack-plugs
DVD player/recorder Mico331i
VCR single scart
Sky box or a digi box
Whats the best way to wire all the lot together?
A diagram would be worth more than words
Is there any web pages or book/mags that give this information?

Unregistered guest
hi.
same question as many others.
Tv mitsubushi 2 scart,s-video,jack-plugs
DVD player/recorder Mico331i
VCR single scart
Sky box or a digi box
Whats the best way to wire all the lot together?
A diagram would be worth more than words
Is there any web pages or book/mags that give this information?

Unregistered guest
Hi, just got a Philips DVDR70 Recorder, and I also have a freeview box.
When I go to record a program I have a secondary image in the background from another channel, just wondered if anyone knew how to solve this?
Thanks

Anonymous

Before I buy a DVD recorder to record from my Dish Network 510 receiver, do I have to buy a recorder with "IR Blaster"? As I understand it, with IR Blaster, I can have the DVD Recorder turn on and turn off the Dish receiver on a scheduled time of a show. If all this is right, will it all connect with an S video cable?

Jack G.
Unregistered guest
Sorry, did not mean to be "anonymous" in the above query.

Silver Member

Post Number: 818
You don't need an IR blaster. You can set timers on the satellite and recorder both, takes a little longer, but it's no big deal. I've had a satellite for over 10 years and have been doing it that way the whole time. The recorder can connect with RCA jacks or an s-video cable either one. I tried both with a Panasonic E-20 and that exact satellite receiver and couldn't tell any difference between s-video and RCA connections.

Jack G.
Unregistered guest
David: Thanks for the information. I assume when I create the timer in the DVR receiver and the DVD recorder for the show, the DVR 510 will record it on its hard drive and the DVD recorder will simulataneously record it on a CD, right? Anyway, Toshiba makes a recorder, model D-KR2, that has the IR Blaster feature and is very reasonably priced...$150 or so. If I buy it and hook it up, I was just curious how to cable the two together along with the TV. I think I'd like to do it that way and save the extra step of creating a DVR timer too. Jack G.

Silver Member

Post Number: 820
I didn't have a DVR in mine. Can't you just set the satellite receiver to turn on and off with a timer?

Jack G.
Unregistered guest
Yes, I'm sure that will work. In fact, I have three Dish Network receivers in the house system, new Super Pro dish. The DVR is receiver 1 and receiver two is controlled via a UHF antenna on the DVR. The third receiver is a stand alone 301. After I get the DVD recorder, I'll experiment with coupling it to the DVR first, then just move it over to the stand alone...and yes, I can create a timer on that one too.
Thanks again, Dave.
Jack G.

PaulaM
Unregistered guest
I've connected the RCA lines (red,white, and yellow) between my DVD/VCR (Samsung DVD-V4600) and my television set (Westinghouse LTV-20v2)
and nothing shows up on my t.v. Auto setup starts but then nothing. Even the clock doesn't set. My cable line is connected to my t.v. Help, what's wrong?

The DVD/VCR product came with RCA lines and a RF connector. I've tried the RF connector in different combinations but still nothing.

Bronze Member
Username: Countryguy

Astorville, ON Canada

Post Number: 11
PaulM,

You need to have the cable connected to the DVD/VCR and not to the TV. Since you are using the RCA lines you shouldn't need to use the RF connector.

PaulaM
Unregistered guest
Thanks Gary,

It's working now.

Username: My_min_pin

I need help with hooking up the following products:
DVD Recorder Panasonic DMR-E55,
TV Panasonic CT-27SF25
with a comcast cable box, General Intrument, Starfone model SFT (no S cable hookup)
VCR Zenith VR 2135
and a samsung DVD Player DVD-709/XAA

I went on the panasonic website and got the following directions:
1. Connect RF OUT on Cable Box to RF IN on DVD Recorder with coaxial cable.
2. Connect RF OUT on DVD Recorder to RF IN on VCR with coaxial cable.
3. Connect RF OUT on VCR to UHF VHF IN on TV with coaxial cable.
4. Connect DVD Recorder A/V OUT (red,white,yellow) cables to A/V IN on TV.
5. Connect DVD Player's A/V OUT to DVD Recorder's A/V IN.
6. Video from DVD Player can be passed through the DVD Recorder and viewed on TV, but rented or store bought DVD movies cannot be copied by the DVD Recorder.
7. If you wish to copy VHS tapes to the DVD Recorder you will need to connect an additional set of A/V cables from the A/V OUT on the VCR to an A/V IN on the DVD Recorder. You cannot copy rented or store bought DVD movies or tapes.
8. Connect G-Link cable from back of DVD Recorder and position IR Blaster in front of your Cable Box.
I did everything except #8. I plan to copy Home recorded VHS tapes to DVD and I want to be able to record movies from Cable. But auto setup only goes to channel 125. I would also like to know opinions on a device to record protected DVD & Videos, I used to use a digital video stabilizer, that is for VCR dubbing but there is no brand name on it and I think it is outdated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 881
Don't connect anything with coax unless you have to. Connect the DVD recorder to the TV with component cables if possible, I don't think that TV has them, if not use an s-video cable. If the cable box has s-video or RCA jacks use them, same with the VCR. You can run coax just for watching on the TV without having to have everything on, but for recording purposes, coax is inferior.

Unregistered guest
I work at sears and had a customer who wants a DVD recorder that will time record off of satellite. He doesn't wanna have to get up at like 1am press record and then go back to bed etc. Wants to be able to set time to record and it record. I believe he said he had dish network but know nothing other than that. Please e-mail me privatley as I am at work and cannot save this website info. E-mail is Mickey2384@aol.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 891
All DVD recorders have timers. With a satellite you need to set 2 timers, 1 on the recorder and 1 on the satellite.

Unregistered guest
I happen to owe a Sony RDR-HX900 and i was wondering weither there was any intermediate device which i can connect btn my dvd-player and the dvd-recorder/ or otherwise my tv and the dvd-recorder to overcome problems when trying to copy original dvd's..........for personal use only!

Silver Member

Post Number: 949
You need a stabilizer. You would be better off to invest that money in a burner.

Unregistered guest
This is a great site! I seem to get close but can't quite get to how to connect the following:
Dish DVR
DVD Recorder (Panasonic DMR es10)
TV (with just coaxial cable hookup - have video converter hooked up to accept rca)
I want to be able to record from the dvr onto dvd. I have lots of stuff on the dvr I want to save. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Username: Catzeyes

Chicago, IL USA

Help!!! We would like to Hook up, our new DVR Recorder to our Comcast Digital Cable Box,Toshiba
DVD Player,New TV(ESA-MTS/SAP sound system).
There are Five different sets of set-up instructions, we have tried all of them, and still
cannot get anything to work!! All we want to do is
to record off our Cable Box. Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1064
Connect the box to the recorder with an s-video cable for video and RCA cables for audio, if no s-video use RCA cables for all. Then set the recorder on whatever input you used, look for an input button on the remote or go through the channels till you get to the righ input. Connect the player to the TV seperately.

Jacquest Tomlin
Unregistered guest
I have :
DVD Recorder Panasonic DMR-ES10
Panasonic TV
Satellite DishNetwork receiver
Please help on hooking all 3 properly in a way that I can still watch TV if I set a scheduled timer recording.
Reason why is that the way all is set up now I cannot watch TV when the recorder is off on timer recording.
TV only comes back on when recording start.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1074
Unless you have 2 satellite receivers and a twin LNB, you can only watch or record 1 channel at a time. You can watch from an antenna while recording from the sat.

Jacquest Tomlin
Unregistered guest
how can I set up to watch from an antenna while recording from the sat?
Please advise of step-by-step and any accessories to buy.
Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1079
If you already have the sat connected to the coax input on the TV, then you need an A/B switch. If not connect the antenna to the coax input. If you do need to use an A/B switch, connect the sat to one input and the antenna to the other, then connect the output to the TV.

Unregistered guest
I need some help connecting a JVC DR-MV1S that is giving me problems.
The setup I have is:
Time Warner cable box
DirecTV satellite box
Toshiba 27AF43 TV with Audio/Video and component video inputs

I purchased a Radio Shack A/V Switch box to handle the switching, rather than use the coaxial hookup. This has four inputs and two outputs. Here's what I have done:

The Audio/Video outputs from the cable and satellite boxes go (with S-video connectors) to inputs 1 and 2 on the A/V switch, and the DVD/VCR output (RCA connectors) on the JVC goes to input 3 on the switch.

One set of outputs from the A/V switch go to the Audio/Video input on the TV, using S-video. The other set of outputs from the A/V switch go to the INPUT L-1 (DVD/VCR) on the JVC, using S-video again. Finally, the component video output on the JVC goes to the component video input on the TV.

In principal, it seems to me that I should be able to select
either the cable or satellite input on the A/V box, and have that signal go to both the TV and the JVC (DVD or VCR). Also, by selecting input 3 on the A/V switch, I can watch VCR or DVD on the JVC. Finally, I can also play back the JVC via the component video for DVDs (and for VCR by routing that signal through the DVD dubbing input), by selecting the component video input on the TV.

Most of this works - I can record VCR tapes, but the problem is that I cannot get a signal to the DVD input from the A/V switch. Regardless of whether I use the S-video or regular video signal, the picture on L-1 just disintegrates into a flashing mess, and if I try to record I just get a "no signal" message. The only way I can presently make a DVD is to record the tape and then use the dubbing function to transfer it to DVD.

Please let me know if I have something screwed up in the hook up, or if it is actually a problem with the JVC. I know that this model is notoriously bad, and I am on the verge of taking it back if I cannot get this signal issue resolved.

This cannot be a very unusual configuration, so any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1173
If the combo is like the standalone, you have to go into the menus and select s-video for that input, the default is composite.

Unregistered guest
May i know what type of connector is use to connect the control socket at the back of Pioneer 310s DVD player/recorder and what is the purpose.

Thank You and Best Regards

Username: Shira

Desperate - stumped the connection guys - still unable to record with my Panasonic E65S-P - hooked to my HD cable box and HDTV.. all hookups seem right - cable company says no problem with box - I can see a video but not record- any suggestions on what to check? Do I have to wait until the TV Guide downloads or can I go straight to manual recording (tried this)????

Unregistered guest
I have:-
1. TV
2. Cable (DMT)
3. Video Recorder
4. DVD recorder ( recently bought )

I used to hooked up like this....
1. Connect the DMT's A/V sockets ( 1 video,2 audio ) to tthe TV's A/V IN sockets using video and audio cables.
2. connect the VCR's UHF OUT to the Tv's UHF IN socket
3. Connect the DMT's ANTENNA OUT socket to the VCR's UHF/VHF IN socket.
4. Use an A/V cable to connect the VCR's A/V OUT to the spare TV's A/V IN.

Everything was OK. Could watch tv, cable and record VCR. After getting the DVD recorder. I used the same hook-up and added this....

1. Connect A/V cable from the TV's OUT socket to the DVD recorder's IN socket.
2. Connect DVD recorder's OUT socket back to the Tv's IN socket.

I can watch dvd on my tv's AV channel. I can also channel setup on my DVD recorder. So I have video display but one Problem....no audio. Only hisssing sound. What did I do wrong? Please help?
Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1284
Connect the A/V from the DMT to the DVD recorder and set the recorder on whatever input you used.

Kirkman
Unregistered guest
Ok guys here is the solution to record to your dvd recorder from your DVR cable box. Connect a cable from the RF output (cable out) to your RF input (ant in) on your DVD recorder. Turn the recorder to channel 3 and you can watch and record at the same time....This is the easy way.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1293
That will give you poor quality video and mono audio. Use an s-video cable or RCA cables.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us