Hitachi 55 inch LCD Rear Projection 55VG825

MET
Unregistered guest
Thinking about buying this 55 inch Hitachi LCD TV.
Has anyone purchased this TV and do they have any opinion on it?

Bronze Member
Username: Johnhunter44

Post Number: 28
I am trying to get some of the same info on the hitachi, but cant get any responses either. Are we doing something wrong?

MET
Unregistered guest
Not sure that we are doing anything wrong. I guess it might not be a specific issue so that is why there are no replys. I would think that this TV has been purchased by others.

Does anyone know how much the replacement bulbs cost and what your thoughts are on paying for a service plan on this tv?

Bronze Member
Username: Hallen1007

Charlotte, North Carolina USA

Post Number: 42
I have the 50v710 and it is great. Get the EW, as most cover at least 1 bulb. I have found the bulbs raange from 150-225 dollars.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 679
Lately, Hitachi seems to be slightly left in the dust, what with the new generation LCoS TVs like JVC's D-ILA and Sony's SXRD. DLP performance has been steadily improving as well. Of course, they're all more money than this year's LCDRP Hitachis.

But as an owner of a Hitachi 50V500 for about 30 months now, I can say there's much to like about their sets. My biggest complaint is inadequate black levels, but that is the nature of the beast with LCDs in general. I can assume Hitachi has made some progress in this area since they built my model.

I didn't buy extended warranty on my set, and have been lucky so far. However, I would leave that decision up to each individual. I wouldn't buy it for bulb replacement, since their cost is coming down and they're user replaceable. I might buy it for other problems that some owners of my model have experienced. If you need the light engine replaced in two years, then EW is a good buy. If you don't have serious problems, then there's the "peace of mind" factor. Just don't forget that the first year is covered by Hitachi.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
I agree with John, it does seem Hitachi is playing 2nd fiddle. I thought they had LCOS up their sleeve, but I guess not. I plan to get another set next year, and right now I'm leaning to the SXRd, although the led DLP's may be nice also. We shall see. My Hitachi has been good to me so far, but I'm not sure I would purchase the 55Vg for more than 2200 right now.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 687
That SXRD is the RP to buy right now, imo. I just checked it out again at CC today. Impressive.

but I'm not sure I would purchase the 55Vg for more than 2200 right now.

Agreed, but I sure could use the extra 5 inches!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
What price did you see it at? The lowest I've seen is 3500.00. For my room size a 55-60 inch might be a tad too big.

Phil Speelman
Unregistered guest
I just purchased a 55VG825 Hitachi a week and a half ago. We love it so far. They have addressed the black levels with a 3 position adjustable setting. Paid less than $2200.

Unregistered guest
Have had the 55vg825 for about 10 days. So far I'm witholding criticism. My DISH HD is several days away from being installed. Standard TV broadcasts are disappointing. I have also purchased a Sony DVD player with HD upconversion and am waiting on the HDMI cable to be delivered. I understand they're necessary for maximum upconversion. Stardard 480p is quite good with strong black levels. Adjusting the levels will almost certainly produce a satisfying experience. But as they say "garbage in , garbage out"! You need a quality signal and good cables. I'll update when my upgrades are completed. BTW...got a pretty good deal at just over $1800.
Mike
PS. Most affordable receivers lack HDMI switching but you still need to get the audio to your receiver I have come up with the following workaround. Two HDMI connections from Satellite and DVD directly to TV HDMI inputs. Then use optical output from TV to receiver optical input. I believe this is the best way to get 5.1 sound from both sources to receiver. Comments?

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 762
Chifan, do not hold your breath for a dramatic improvement when you install the HDMI cord on your "upconverting" DVD player. You might see a difference, but I'm going to bet the upconversion in that Sony is no better than the what the TV does automatically, given Hitachi's propriatary

VirtualHD 1080p II Video Processor.
Proprietary Hitachi video processing technology ensures superior performance, whether you're viewing a DVD, an over the air broadcast or HDTV from cable or satellite. VirtualHD 1080p II technology analyzes every frame as a digital still image. An advanced technique, dynamic histogram processing, digitally maps the incoming signal to optimize on-screen contrast, color and sharpness. The VirtualHD 1080p II processor performs this highly sophisticated process in real time, for improved depth, detail, and color performance.

Models: VF720, VF820, VG825 Series

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/discover/techadv/tech_ad_lcd00.shtml

Moreover, there's only so much info on a 480 DVD, and no amount of digital manipulation is going to add more detail that isn't there.

The TV's HDMI inputs will be much more important when you add a blue ray HD player in the future.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us