Looking for advice on HDTV purchase

Gordy E.
Unregistered guest
I'm looking at getting a new HDTV, I want to stay around 50", can spend up to $4000. Plasma, LCD, LCD RP doesn't matter. I want the best and most reliable technology that's out there and am looking for objective advice from those that have experience with this. The options seem endless, please help.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Gordy E.,

You're going to have to do your own research and decide for yourself. I personally chose the JVC DILA set because of a number of reasons (i.e. plasma was too expensive and had, at that point, uncertain reliability, LCD yellows over time and wasn't as vivid, I see rainbows with DLP, etc.). I spent literally two months visiting stores, researching out here, going to manufacturers web sites, etc. There is no right answer to your question. But, there is one right answer for you personally after you do the shopping. Good luck! It's a fun thing to do.

Username: Mumbo

Post Number: 10
What tvshopper said. I would start by going to all the stores and homes you know of that have your options plugged in and on display. Look at them from different angles, compare the pictures between different sets, etc. Note some models that appeal to you, then come here (and to Google) and do searches for reviews, prices, articles, and posts about those products and their technologies. Each has its pros and cons. I find the qualities of DLP (good contrast and price, no screen-door effect, no burn-in, etc) preferrable. 2 of my friends bought LCD RP sets because they felt the colors were more vibrant and details more sharp. Different strokes for different folks.

Good luck!

Gordy E
Unregistered guest
McHaggis/TVSHOPPER,
I've been doing the research but am litterally overwhelmed by the options. What brands or which technology (DLP, LCD, Plasma etc.) do you hear the best things about? What do most consumers seem to be the most pleased with?

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Gordy,

Do you have an opinion as to what technology looks the best to you? For example, I love a vibrant picture yet I see the rainbow effect on DLPs. So, for me it boiled down to LCD rear projection or DILA. I did not like the softer look of the Sony LCD projection as much as I liked the JVC so that's what I ended up with. (Note that now Sony has adopted LCoS (DILA) technology as well.)

Now, you will see some reports of problems with the early JVCs and some issues with bulb life. JVC appears to be working these issues out and dealing with the affected consumers pretty well. The reports do not seem to be as frequent with the newer sets (G series and P series).

Personally, I had some issues with my initial set (Z585) but JVC was superb in dealing with the issues and have me as a satisfied customer. Is JVC right for you? I don't know...you have to make that decision.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 583
I'm a DLP advocate myself, but I've seen the LCOS D-ILA technology and it's also very impressive.

Lamps and display integrity seem to be the main concerns with any of them. I'm convinced that the Phillips UHP Mercury lamp has the better life cycle of any other in use. The latest greatest DLPs using this lamp are the HLS5087W and HLS6187W Samsung as seen at the Las Vegas CES. They should be available in April. The current models are the HLR5078W and HLR6178. These are native 1080P displays that appear to be at the top of the DLP heap.

The LCOS group includes the new Sony KDSR50XBR1 and KDSR60XBR1, which are getting great reviews. The JVC Pro series HD-56FH96 and HD-61FH96 are getting attention as well. These are also 1080P displays.

With 1080P resolution I would go with a 60 inch model. They're still in your price range and look stunning.

Here's Brian's link for a look.

http://tapeworkstexas.com/tvs___rear_projection.html

Here are some other links.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=10546221&search=hlr6178

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=11403514&search=kdsr60xb r1

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=14192082&search=HD-61FH9 6

If I were forced to choose today I would probably get the Sony KDSR60XBR1. I'm saving my money and will consider the Samsung HLS series this spring, though.

Whatever you choose, get the 5 year extended warranty. It's just plain smart with this cutting edge stuff.

Gordy E
Unregistered guest
I as well love the PQ and rich color provided by DLP & Plasma technology but I am leaning towards an LCD flat panel set due to the negative things I've heard about Plasma (i.e. pixels and lines burning out) and DLP (the rainbow effect that I've witnessed). I guess that the difficulty that I'm having in making a decision stems from my ignorance of the relibility of the different systems. Most sales people will tell whatever you want to hear in order to move whatever products they need to sell so I don't necessarily trust their answers to my questions about Plasma or DLP reliability after the sale and I get alot of mixxed reviews from websites comparing the two. I understand that there are some excellent aftermarket warranties available however, if I spend $4000 on a TV it better not break 6 months later due to some technological failure. I'm looking for the best, most reliable product for the money and am simply asking for opinions regarding what others have heard about the trustworthyness of this still-emerging technology. In effect, I'm curious as to which brands of plasma that the average consumer is most pleased with.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Gordy,

Remember, they call it the "bleeding edge" of technology for a reason. ;-)) Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 586
Gordy E,

This was your quote!

"I'm looking at getting a new HDTV, I want to stay around 50", can spend up to $4000. Plasma, LCD, LCD RP doesn't matter. I want the best and most reliable technology"

If you wanted plasma only it would have been nice to know so I wouldn't waste my time offering you the best and most reliable sets on the market. Take a look down the post list. See any plasma threads? Good luck!

Username: Viiofix

New Haven, CT New Haven

Post Number: 2
Gordy ~

As I mentioned in another Forum, we (family) just purchased a Toshiba 72HM195 RP which cost us $4,500 and 0% financing for 4yrs. Couldn't pass that deal. We also bought the 4yr extended warranty which covers the bulb since that s.o.b burns out in approx. 2yrs with regular use and the warranty covers it. Set at 1080i & 720p using HDMI out of DVR, it's really like being at the movies. I built my own stand since I was a carpenter and that cost me approx. $80 in materials since the stands go for about $400 & up.
Check it out, that might be the box you want to buy. I like the TheaterWide 1 setting best but I'm having a hard time distinguishing from 2,3 & Full.

Username: Tom_b_ong

Post Number: 5
If you wanted plasma only it would have been nice to know so I wouldn't waste my time offering you the best and most reliable sets on the market.

Bwahahahaahahaha!

hdtv-01
Unregistered guest
For that tvshopper guy that said the G and P series Jvc's aren't having as many problems, of course that is the case over the Z series which was the first generation.

On the P series, it's only been out about two months.

two more points, i read somewhere that sony and jvc are sourcing the light engine from the same source. the second point is since the P series is out that's the one to get.

New Haven, CT New Haven

Post Number: 3
*** Update ***

My set is not 72HM195 it is 72MX195.

TVone
Unregistered guest
Go with the LcOS technology, that spinning wheel in a DLP is just one more thing to break.

Look at the Sony SXRD or the JVC HD-ILA, I prefer Sony.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 592
TVone,

You don't know what your talking about.

There is not one single post about a failed "air bearing" color wheel. Only the old color wheel design had issues.

TVone
Unregistered guest
LOL!

More moving parts, more chance for breakage.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 593
LOL!

Pure speculation unsupported by fact!

LCOS display failures are more prevalent.

TV one
Unregistered guest
FYI: You should find something else to do with your time instead of starting chat room arguements with people who don't even give a sh!t about what you say anyhow. Nerd, find a woman.

Silver Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 105
I shopped to the point where they did not want me posting here any more. I was ready to buy the Samsung DLP HL-R5067 until I saw the Sony LCD RP KDFE-50A10, and that's what I ended up buying. Mostly becasue I liked the picture quality a little better than the Samsung DLP and there are no moving parts. I got the four year warranty (a first for me) that included bulb replacement. I'm very pleased with my purchase. I got it for around $2450 with the warranty. I bought it right before Thanksgiving and have had no trouble with it.

As far as what I like the best though, it was the Sony flat screen LCD. It was either a 40 or 42 inch screen. That picture just blew me away, but I would be getting a smaller screen for almost twice as much money and I'm not certain I would notice the PQ difference once I got it home. I was replacing a 40" direct view tube so I needed at least 46" wide screen to look at least as big as what I had in the non wide screen.

TVone
Unregistered guest
I don't know who that is posting as "TV one" and making the argumentive post above, I post as TVone without the space between TV and one, someone is trying to start a flame war.

New Haven, CT New Haven

Post Number: 10
TV One or TVone ~ Not sure who is who but my Toshiba 72MX195 DLP-RP does have a rotating fan which cools the set and it bothers me that it goes while the set is on but there is a feature setting that turns it off called Quick Start.

You can elect to have the fan shut down when you turn off the set however it takes the set a few extra minutes to turn back on when you power on which is a pain so I've been leaving it on. I support your theory that this is going to be a problem at some point down the road and if there is a set that has the same quality without the fan, then I would seriously look at that.

Dee L. Peer
Unregistered guest
For what it's worth . . . finally made a decision after many months of research.

Our needs and personal preferences:

~ 56 inch or larger screen
~ no side speakers (ugly and waste space)
~ no reflections (lots of uncovered windows)
~ native 1080p resolution (best there is)
~ many inputs (hdmi, vga, cablecard, etc.)
~ $3500 or less

Our choice: Samsung 61-inch DLP, model HLS6187W. Only problem is that this 7th generation model won't be available until April. Well worth the wait. MSRP $3599. Pre-ordering this week.

TVone
Unregistered guest
The Samsung's seem to offer great price and performance in the DLP arena.

Unregistered guest
I have a Mitsubishi VS-60603 that was purchase in 1999 by the previous owner of our house. It was to difficult to remove so he left it at a cost. About a week ago when I turned it on the screen was blue and there is no sound even from tapes or discs. I unplugged it, open the back, plugged it in and turned it on. Only the blue tube is on. I am still looking for a service that will check it out. I am going to Best Buy to see if they will come by and check it. Are there fuses that protect the tubes that could be replaced? I have tried all suggestion in the owner's guide. Anyone have any suggestion while I try to find a service tech.

Username: Tolawyer

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
I have just put down a deposit on a Sony KDSR60XBR1. You all know the set, it's the 60 inch SXRD TV that almost everyone is raving about. Frankly, I did not see anything special about the TV in the store, even though it appeared to be hooked up to an HD signal. I actually liked the picture of the Toshiba 62MX195 better. But I went with the Sony after I heard about problems with the Toshiba's fan and bulb longevity. Also CNET mentioned some minor banding problems.

So I'm really buying the set as a compromise since I would like a big screen TV and have been holding off ever since I heard about HDTV (would you believe the mid 80's?!!!). I finally decided to buy the Sony because I decided it was stupid to wait for something better to come along (because it always does!) and people apparently more expert than me were raving about the thing. As I said, it did not knock my socks off in the store even with an HD signal.

I am not sure if I made the right choice with the Sony. Can any of you tell me which set (between the Toshiba and the Sony) is better and why? I still have time to call off the deal and get the Toshiba (I have arranged for delivery on Friday, February 24).

In short, did I make the right choice?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my query!

TOlawyer, Toronto
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us