Why arent cable companies pushing cable card???

Bronze Member
Username: Jaskim

Post Number: 18
Its been a while now that the FCC mandated cable companies to start supporting cable card. what surprises me the most is that the cable companies arent pushing cable card. Just about all new tvs' coming out have cable card functionality. It seems to be a very effective way to prevent cable theft. The reason I say this is that the cable card is useless unless the cable card number and and the tv cable card id are matched in the cable companies computer. Every time you put on the tv, that match has to be validated before you see anything. As such you can NOT even take out your cable card and use it over at your neighbors house.

So why is it that cable companies are keeping cable card under the rug? I am in Tampa and I have used cable card here for close to two years with Brighthouse (timewarner). HOwever even now the commercials keep saying the ONLY way to get high def and digital channels on your tv is with the use of a cable box. There is no mention of cable card.

What am I missing?

jaskim

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 128
EVERYONE SEEMS TO HAVE CARD PROBLEMS. SEEMS LIKE THEY ARE REALLY NOT IRONED OUT YET. EVERY ONE THAT GETS IT REQUIRES 2 OR 3 SERVICE CALLS, OBVIOUSLY COSTING THE CABLE CO. A TON. PLUS THEY WOULD RATHER RENT A 5 DOLLAR BOX OR 10 DOLLAR DVR THAN A 3 DOLLAR CARD.

Bronze Member
Username: Jaskim

Post Number: 19
Bill Hankins
Is there any limit on the price they can charge
for the card??

Also something else just came to mind. The current crop of CC are uni-directional. As such the Cable companies would not make much money from other interactive services like pay per view if they pushed CC now.

jaskim

Bronze Member
Username: Cabletool

Midwest

Post Number: 29
I repsonded on AVS as well,

"As far as cablecards, picture quality is great and they are a helluva lot cheaper then a STB when figuring in overhead and lost equipment/write offs.

They do not, as stated, generate or have the possibility to generate revenue yet. Even when the CableCARD 2.0 rolls out, you will still need a TV capable of Two Way, the card is only the encryption, decryption device.

Samsung was the first to be certified with a two way set. Others will follow..."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=635964

fx
Unregistered guest
I don't see how Samsung can have a Two-Way display certified since the specification is still incomplete. It is simply not possible, sounds like Samsung PR hype to me.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 38
Well... let the impossible be possible.
Samsung Electronics Gains CableLabs Certification on
2-Way Digital Television

http://www.cablelabs.com/news/newsletter/SPECS/May-August_2005/

"We are thrilled to achieve CableLabs Certified status, and we remain committed to commercializing interactive digital cable-ready TVs and set-top boxes (STBs) to accelerate the rollout of OCAP across the North American Cable industry," said Gee Sung Choi, President and CEO, Digital Media Business at Samsung Electronics, Co. Ltd.

fx
Unregistered guest
Like I said Samsung PR hype. As of 01/25/06 the two way cablecard standard still has not been completed nor even submitted to the FCC for their approval. Your announcement is from a May-Aug 2005 newsletter.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 651
it's already being tested fx

Bronze Member

Midwest

Post Number: 46
FX, you are aware that CabelCARD 2.0 doesnt make the service 2-way.. its the host set itself that is the meat of the 2-way.

In any event its from CableLabs, not Samsung so I doubt they are announcing certification as a clever joke. Im not sure what the motivation for deception would be.

Mike0607
Unregistered guest
Read a release on Audioholics in Dec. that Thomson also signed an agreement with CableLabs for 2way. Then I read this today;

http://cabledatacomnews.com/jan06/jan06-1.html

Downloadable security direct to Tv, or retail purchased digital STB, no CC. At least it won't be boring for us cable folks.

fx
Unregistered guest
it's already being tested fx

Cableguy, I know you have told me that in the past but i don't see that any current testing will be valid until the spec is finalized. No one doubts if it will be done, the question is when.

FX, you are aware that CabelCARD 2.0 doesnt make the service 2-way.. its the host set itself that is the meat of the 2-way.

Cable Tool, I am aware that the 2.0 spec is for two way cablecard capability. I also understand it will take both the display and the cable company to be able to communicate properly.

All I am saying is that today there is no two way cable card technology that can be implemented.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 655
the OCAP/DOCSIS infrastructure is being tested in North Carolina, on a Samsung TV in a TWC system. Since CableLabs already certified the Samsung 2-way CCTV, they are using a TWC site to put it through it's paces. Personally I think they should worry about getting the 1-way devices working properly before they even try getting the 2-way in place, but that's not my decision.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us