JVC HD-P70R1U & P61R1U: Better than Sony SXRD?

Username: James_in_va

Suffolk, VA

Post Number: 6
After a few months of research, I was sold on getting a Sony 60" KDS-R60XBR1 for my home theater and gaming. The recent $500 price drop brought me even closer. Now, after looking at the TapeworksTexas.com site and talking to them, I'm strongly considering the JVC pro-line sets shown above. By the way, Tapeworks carries the Sony as well.

Does anyone have any experience with these JVC professional TVs? Reviews are hard to come by since they're not considered to be "consumer" grade. Still, the price is in the same arena as the Sony so I'm intrigued.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 1006
James-

Check out a magazine called "Sound and Vision". This month they reviewed the 70" JVC and they loved it. It was the standard version and I'm sure the pro version is even more better built.

The biggest difference between the Sony and JVC sets it the JVC will accept a true 1080p signal where as the Sony will not. The Sony is limited to a maximum of a 1080i signal. There currenty is not really anything available that produce a 1080p signal, but you would be better prepared for the future.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 205
Wow the SXRD can take a 1080p signal.Its achieved just like the JVC does and all 1920x1080 (1080psets)TV's through HDMI.

TVone
Unregistered guest
The Sony does not have a 1080P input.

wtf
Unregistered guest
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL101579

Full 1920 x 1080 (native) progressive display
CAN YOU READ? the JVC is also 1920 x 1080 (native) like the Sony Get a clue. The HDMI on the sony allows 1080P also so don't talk if you have no clue

Silver Member
Username: Kano

BC Canada

Post Number: 818
DISPLAYING at 1080p, and ACCEPTING a 1080p signal are two different things. With a native resolution of 1080p everything is displayed at 1080p. This does not mean the TV can accept a 1080p signal and display it.

The JVC can, the Sony cannot.

Bronze Member
Username: James_in_va

Suffolk, VA

Post Number: 11
Prices just went up about $800 on both these JVC models as of 2/1 so I guess I won't be getting one.

Boooo JVC!

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 59
Kano is correct the sony does not accept a 1080p signal,but it does convert all signals to 1080p.

Bronze Member
Username: Uhphikap

Post Number: 57
2 things:

1. The prices did indeed just increase on these TVs. JVC has pissed off a lot of people (including myself) and I really don't think they will sell very well now, but that's up to you guys as consumers.

2. On 1080p - I just posted this in the Sony KDSR50XBR1 and KDSR60XBR1 thread, but the fact is, this set cannot accept 1080p either. Here's what I posted in the other thread:

The Sony KDSR50XBR1 and Sony KDSR60XBR1 will not accept and directly output a 1080p signal. They will indeed take the signal in, but will downconvert the 1080p to 1080i, then process it back to the screen at 1080p. The average, and even the above-average consumer is not going to be able to tell the difference between a true 1080p picture, and a picture that is processed in this manner. I personally don't think if I looked at 2 TVs side by side, one each way, that even I would be able to tell the difference between the 2 nor pick out which one was which. There are people out there who can, those with very well-trained eyes. The other thing to consider is that even though Blu-Ray and HD-DVD may be able to output 1080p, do you think the media, the content is going to be in 1080p? Not any time soon, therefore you will have the same effect, where the player will upconvert from 1080i or whatever to 1080p for the output.

I hope this helps those of you who are trying to find information about 1080p.

Thanks,
Brian Pool
TapeWorks Texas
1-866-827-3489
tapeworksbrian@sbcglobal.net
http://tapeworkstexas.com/tvs___rear_projection.html
http://tapeworkstexas.com/home_theater.html
CUSTOMER REVIEWS: http://tapeworkstexas.com/corkboard/Your_Experience_with_TapeWorks_Texas.html

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 220
I was thinking you were talking about it cause prices were different and that was basically what was being said. Sony down in price and JVC went up AWSOME!!! AHAHAH!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us