60 inches under $5,000????

Bronze Member
Username: Angel_l

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 15
When will the day come when plasmas over 50 inches can become reasonable? All have there pro's and cons, and then there is plasma what all wifes want. I also would like one, but I won my living room battle with my wife a long time ago unfortunatly the room is huge. So its over 60 or bust.

Am I being unreasonable that I refuse to pay over $5,000 for a product mass produced to the lowest priced manufacturer.

Any help will be appreciated?

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 316
What are you asking and what help are you hoping to appreciate?

Bronze Member

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 16
What I am trying to say is why the price mark up for 60 inch palsma?

42 inch for about $2200
50 inch for about $3200
60 inch for about $7000

That is 50% unnessary mark up.
Again am I being unreasanable? I am looking for a 60 inch hd plasma for under $5000.

Silver Member

Post Number: 318
Yes. You are being unreasonable. The 42/50 size is old productin and capabilities; ie the R and D and the factory costs have been paid and the lines massive in quantity and profitable. Read the Panny interview from their vice prez linked at avsforum.com in the plasma section.

The 60 plus size is new with built in new product lowvolume distribution/production costs. And so its more expensive.

5 years ago the 42 inch plasmas were 7000 buck BTW. In 2-3 years the 65 inch Panny 1080P will likely be 5000 dollars in tomorrows less valuable dollars.

Its not a mark-up. iIts the production cost differnce on new technology including entirely new pixels structures and electronics.

Bronze Member

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 17
I read the Panny interview from the VP, and I now am more aware of the low volume production of 60 plus.

So I am now in a pickle with what to buy? I do not want to wait for the price of 60 plus to drop.

Can you help me with my decision? I read one of your Previous posts on helping another member on her decision and was very impressed with your guidence.

My living room is 16x20 and I have the back wall (over the shoulder, opposite of the tv) the whole wall is a mirror that causes some reflection on my cuurent 53 4x3 RP. The left wall has a double wide wide glass door (tinted)leading to the patio.

I put together a JVC 56 dila for my father in law in OCT. 05 and he already replaced the lamp. Only viewing 6-8 hrs a day.

My wife is home all day and the set will be on for at least 10-12 hrs a day. Its difficult to ask her not to use it after spending thousands.

DLP no way!
Dila unless I get a great deal.
projector massive instalation.
SXRD I am leaning toward but, will I have to replace 2-3 lamps for year. (YIKES).

New technology is supposed to make life more enjoyable.

Thank you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 319
1. DLP- Like the Panny guy said- the biggest display for the dollar is the DLP. If the PQ is acceptable for you, and you arent sensitive to the rainbow effect he desribed, then this is the least expensive way to go.

2. Plasma- well- if you can rearrange your room so that the mirror isnt behind the viewing psoition then a 50 inch commercial display for 3000 isnt a bad deal from Panasonic. You would need a cable STBoz or DISH however unless DVDs only since there is no tuner in the commercial unit. This probably wouldnt work out as the set is essentially unavailable at this point until end of February.

3. LCD- Unfortunately anything over 40 inches is going to be fairly expensive, which sounds like an issue for you. If not, you can shell out 4 grand or so for a 40-45 inch display. I like Samsung and Sharp 2006 only displays. No samsung 2005 due to backlighting issues.

4. Read the feb/march 2006 sound and vision JVC- D-ILA revioew. Be awre of the issues before purchasing.

5. Still like the Sony SXRD for brightly lit rooms and that mirror. Maybe the 50 inch will work for you. They have a 60 inch as well.

6. Front projector- not for a room with light and very high fiddle factor. Bulbs are brutally exopensive to replace- tefchnology changes fast too- all but the best 1080P FPs really dont have very good pics relative to other technologies even in custom carefully designed 80,000 dollar Home thetaers.

Bronze Member

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 18
Thank you for replying.

I have narrowed my search to these three in this order of prefferance.

1. Sony 60 sxrd xbr
2. Hitachi 60vx195/60vs810
3. Toshiba 62mx195

I have direct tv hd and a off air anntenna currently. I will also purchase HDMI upconverting dvd player for movies. Any personal prefferance after CES on these models?

Silver Member

Post Number: 320
Not really. Go look at the displays and pick the one you like best. Like I was tellin the other person, besure to look at face and hands in movie demos and see how realistic the displays make the face and hands look. I dont like overly red fakee displays myself.

I would recommend you read Widecreen ReviewIssue 104 January 2006 page 44 column one on HDMI compatability issues since you mention an upscaling DVD player over HDMI. Watch the HDMI compatabitlity issues very carefully on these sets.

Bronze Member

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 19
Thank you very much for your more than 2 cents.

I agree HDMI very bugy.

One last question, via HDMI do most 720p or 1080p upconvert to there native resolution?

Example:
1. espn hd 720p will a 1080p set upconvert?
2. hdnet 1080i will hdmi input upconvert?
3. component upconvert?
4. SD thru HDMI 480i upconvert?

You have been a great source of information.
Again thank you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 321
1. AS side note, read gary Mearsons article on 1080P displays in the december The Perfect Vision. It exposes that many doisplays that claim 1080P can only do 540P and 1080I. It lists the brands and the technologies.

2. You take your set top box or dish media receiever and set it to match the incoming signal- so SD is 480i and ESPN is 720i etc. Then you let the display do the upconversion.

3. Compinent is analog and carry anything within physical limits- the issue is copy protection for DVDs for instance.

4. Speaking of DVDs,you should read the home theater secrets DVD shootout results carefully. Not becuase of how players scored and tranked- but becuase of they pass andf fail certain tests that may or may not impact your viweing. Thats the place to learn about upscaling pros and cons and DVD player quality issues.

Bronze Member
Username: Amateur_mike

Post Number: 23
Angel,
There was a recent story published in eCoustics about Sony coming out with a new 55 inch SXRD that is thin enough to be wall-mounted. Might be an option to look into. If wall-mounting is not essential, I will say that I love my 60 inch SXRD.

Bronze Member

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 20
Mike,

Thanks for the post. I will be getting a 60 SXRD this weekend.
Do you have any problems with HDMI for dvd or sat. reciever. I have read that there are compatibility problems with HDMI, and I have encountered it on my inlaws JVC dila.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us