Need Advice Re: Pioneer XV-HTD520

Unregistered guest
Equipment: Pioneer XV-HTD520 receiver/DCD-CD Player/Tuner used in combination with S-HTD520 speakers. Problem: Displays "No Disc" when a clean DVD or CD is inserted.

We received this as a Christmas gift a few years ago. Despite being a medium to low end system, it worked well for a while. The receiver suggested list is $130.00 and I don't think it's worth repairing. I've tried disconnecting power for 2 hours and cleaning with a standard CD cleaning disc with no change. Is there anything else I should try? If I need to replace the unit, I want something that I can get good tech support with and that's going to last longer than this unit. We don't have HDTV but might possibly get it during the life of the next unit. I'd spend $500.00 if I knew I was getting a really good unit, and I don't need anything spectacular- just something that's reliable. I've heard Marantz is really good. If I need to replace the whole system, I'll consider that too. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2115
If you can, open and clean the DVD lens with a q-tip wet with alcohol.

Username: Linnaeus

SC

Post Number: 1
David,

First of all, thank you very much for the suggestion. I removed the cover to find an ivory colored spool piece and a spring loose in the cabinet. The spool piece fit onto the shaft that spins the disc. There was a white square plastic part above this that helped stabilize the disc. The depression on the underside of this piece was the same diameter as the spring, but there was nothing to hold the spring in place in the upside down position. I turned the receiver on its sides and tapped it but could not find any other parts. I reinserted the spool piece, cleaned the lens with alcohol as you suggested and tried it. With the cover still removed, I could see that the disc was not making good contact with the part that rotated it. It seemed to vibrate a little as it was spinning. It would spin three times and then the tray would open up. The laser lit each time. I did not get the "No disc" display. I tried another DVD that is pratically new- same response. We probably have less than 100 hours on this DVD player and with this happening, I'm not sure it's worth fixing. Thanks again for your advice. What would you do if it were yours? Any other suggestions you or anyone else might have would be very much appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2120
If you are saying the spindle was off the motor shaft, the height of the spindle has to be pretty close to where it was originally. Since you don't know where it was, that might not be easy to do. Start high and slowly work your way down. If you get it too close to the lens, it may scratch the disc when it raises.

SC

Post Number: 2
David,

The spindle fits all the way down in a slot with the shaft extending through the middle. Since it fits, I'm assuming that's where it's supposed to go. Now I'm left with the spring location. Somone today said that it was originally glued to the bottom of the white part that is above the disc. They said I should be able to get a drawing with part numbers from Pioneer for about 15 bucks. Is that true? Thanks for your help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2121
I'd try calling Andrews Electronics or Fox International, if one of them is a Pioneer authorized distributor, they will have views of everything. Tell them you think you need a part from the spindle assembly and they will send exploded views of the assembly so you can identify the part. Unfortunately I only have the numbers on speed dial, I don't have them written down. You should be able to get them from the internet.

SC

Post Number: 3
David,

I called Andrews and they were out to lunch. Fox no longer carries Pioneer parts, so I'll try Andrews again later. Thanks so much!

Marion

Gold Member

Post Number: 2133
There's also MCM Electronics, they might be Pioneer authorized. I don't know if they'll send views or not though, I know the other two do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us