Archive through September 09, 2005

Username: Avernus

Post Number: 5
The service I have is from Comcast...their only HD STB without the TiVo..

Unregistered guest
Status report: just sent to Sharp Customer Support, located near Chicago, to email Cox Communications, to set up direct contact between Cox's headend engineers and Sharp's engineers to sort out why this Sharp TV model LC-325DU does not work with Scientific Atlanta's CableCard. Sharp has a wide spread problem in any area served by a cable company using SA's CableCard.

Bronze Member
Username: Optivity

Post Number: 14
I spoke to a customer service (?) representative from Panasonic today. He "claimed" their newest firmware upgrade for the PX50U enables a CATV provider's "head-end" to download/upgrade software to a CableCARD installed in the host TV. He asserted this does not resolve my "copy authorization" problem with Time Warner, which disables the PX50U's optical digital audio interface. He contends the CATV provider determines the copy authorization for the TV's digital interface and I need to resolve the problem with them. As usual, the finger pointing between Scientific Atlanta, Time Warner and Panasonic continues and nothing is resolved.

dobnh
Unregistered guest
Hi All,
I wander if anybody can explain the Cable Card (CC) and the program guide issue. I have Samsung LNR-408D. The Motorolla cable card (from Comcast) works great and the picture is superior comparing to STB connected over components output. The TV has "Guide" menu that is populated with everything but the program names. It shows "No Information" in the relevant fields. I talked to Comcast rep, but did not get anywhere beyong "CC is 1-way, no interactive program guide"... Well, I do not think that 2 way communication is needed to load the program information into the CC and let the TV be "interactive". Apparently the TV designers think the same, otherwise why would the "Guide" show up in the TV menu? Does anybody know what is this "something" that Comcast doesn't have that would make the TV guide work on my TV? Is there a chance that they eventually will have that "something"?

fx
Unregistered guest
"Does anybody know what is this "something" that Comcast doesn't have that would make the TV guide work on my TV?

It is not Comcast that will make this happen. The two way cablecard standard is not yet finalized. It may be a year or two before two way cablecard communication is available. Right now it is simply a wet dream in everyones eye. The FCC mandated cablecard availability but not two way communication so do not hold your breath.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
2-way CableCARDs will be the "death knell" of external STBs, therefore Cable companies will attempt to stall their implementation for as long as possible.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
"2-way CableCARDs will be the "death knell" of external STBs, therefore Cable companies will attempt to stall their implementation for as long as possible."

Unless they figure a way to make money off it on...I'm thinking they'll figure something out...

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 158
dobnh,

What model of TV do you have. The IPG that is built in the integrated sets is called TVGOS and the information comes from Gemstar. Typically the information is passed on the local analog PBS channel and is called VBI. See below:

Short for vertical blanking interval, the part of a television transmission signal that is blanked, or left clear, of viewable content, to allow time for the television's electron gun to move from the bottom to the top of the screen as it scans images. This blank area is now being used to broadcast closed caption and HTML -formatted information.

If you are not getting program information there is either a problem with the TVGOS firmware in your set, the VBI data not being transmitted, or a problem with your area code and Gemstar. I have Comcast and the TVGOS and get the data so I don't think it is a problem with Comcast. I suggest you start with your TV vendor and they can put you in touch with Gemstar if necessary.

dobnh
Unregistered guest
Hi Kdog044,
The TV model is Samsung LNR-408D. It does not say anything about Gemstar in the TV manual, but your explanation still is the most logical one I've heard yet. One thing that might not fit into the picture is that I did not see the "guide" menu until the cable card was in, but I do not think I even went through the chanell setup procedure till then. I guess you a right, the best bet to resolve the issue would be to call Samsung...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Is there any reason why not even half the channels on the Cable Card have closed caption?

Is this just Comcast's ploy to make those who want CC to go back to the box?

cable girl
Unregistered guest
closed captioning is a feature of your television, not the cable card. and if the network does not broadcast in close captioning then how would that be a ploy by comcast?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
"closed captioning is a feature of your television, not the cable card. and if the network does not broadcast in close captioning then how would that be a ploy by comcast?"

ahem...when I had the box...these channels had CC...now they don't...

hope that cleared things up...

EF NEW ORLEANS
Unregistered guest
I purchased the new 70" sony wega and it has a pod slot. Cox cable wants to charge for a card and they will not let you install it. They want to come out and insert it into the tv for you. Does anybody know why? Also can I purchase a card elsewhere besides cox cable?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
"I purchased the new 70" sony wega and it has a pod slot. Cox cable wants to charge for a card and they will not let you install it. They want to come out and insert it into the tv for you. Does anybody know why? Also can I purchase a card elsewhere besides cox cable?"

I just had my Cable Card installed friday and they wanted to come in and install that. I could have done what he did, just unplug the TV, insert the card and then plug the TV back in, then power on...

After that, he just called in for the reception and had to place a 2nd call to get HD and Digital channels..

He even said they don't get many services other than a box and even when he was struggling said "you know the box is only 6.99 a month"...

That's not the point, every box I've had does a lag time on the hourly, if not sooner...and I am tired of using a box...

If it's so cheap to have a box, then he can pay my 6.99 a month if he likes...

Even though he was alright...I just found that comment funny...the service seems to work perfectly fine...but everyone I speak with from comcast tries to make it sound like it's a bad idea..

E F NEW ORLEANS
Unregistered guest
thanks. can these cable cards be purchased at a store or online. Also there must be a risk of damaging you tv if the cable company wants to install them?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I haven't seen them available elsewhere. I assume it would be the equivelant to stealing cable? since you have to have it activated...

And about damaging the TV: I have heard about the TV freezing and whatnot, but I haven't heard about it being damaged...

Mine did something where I didn't get my HD right after the cableguy left..and then it came back on. It hasn't done it since.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I haven't seen them available for purchase...I think it would be the equivelant to stealing cable..

Also, If you go to the office and set up an appt. for a cablecard, sometimes they let the installation go for cheaper. Mine was supposed to be 32...instead it went for 16.00

Also I haven't heard anything about the TV being damaged, although I've heard about it freezing. You just turn the TV off and eject the card..then put it back in and you're good...

But I haven't had any problems other than Comcast being cheap on the closed caption...when they obviously offer it as I have it on those channels in my room where I have a HD STB...ala..the one that USED to be in my living room..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
wow...it made it look like I didn't post the 1st time..

niice

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
ahem...when I had the box...these channels had CC...now they don't...

hope that cleared things up...

Donald, there should be a menu option for CC through the TV menu. You need to check your TV's user manual for the option. CC information is sent on the VBI (vertical Blanking Interval) of the incoming signal and therefore the cable card should not prevent you from viewing CC information.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
I get CC on almost half of the channels..

I get it on HBO HD, also on regular HBO which broadcasts the same thing, but don't get it on any other HBO channel. Before I received it on all HBO channels.

I don't get it on lifetime, or channel 10, but get it on channel 3 and 6....I could go on and list the channels that I get it on and the ones I don't...but I think you get the idea from what I'm saying.

Silver Member

Post Number: 163
Donald, if that is true you should be able to get resolution from your cable provider. If not, you can file a complaint with the FCC. See below.

http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/closedcaption.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Thanks kdog, it's good to see someone that can help instead if insulting my intelligence. I called them up and someone is coming out tomorrow.

They said "that's the drawback to having a cable card, we have to send someone out"...they seem to backhand cable card at every opportunity.

So if they are unsuccessful tomorrow, I am going to contact that link you sent me.

Thanks again.

-The Don

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
Don, you have to give them a little leeway. Unfortunately, cable cards are a new technology and the expertise is just not there yet. I don't know about in your area but my Comcast technicians did everything in their power to try and get my cable card working when I first had it installed. It ended up being a firmware update from Toshiba that got the card working but until there are more CC's out there it will take a while for the technicians to gain some experience. The bottom line is that except for automatic PPV and Sports packages, the IPG, and On-Demand, the CC should provide everything else that the STB will, including close captioning(as long as your display supports it).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Yea, my technician tried his best when he was here as well. I actually helped him install it because he wasn't exactly sure...

He knew what he was doing and all...but the cable card is very new to them and they seem to be learning as they go along...

Also, my card seems to be working perfectly fine...except the CC seems to be selective on certain channels...

E F NEW ORLEANS
Unregistered guest
thanks for the helpful info. I just called cox cable and the rep said she hadnt heard of cable cards. I called back and spoke to a different cable rep and they stated the same. What was strange, the info I provided above about cox wanting to install the card was from my father in law who had contactd cox cable about getting a card for his new television and they gave him prices and info. It seems that some new service reps know about them and some do not. Its strange that such a big company wouldnt have better training.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Comcast seems to have the same ordeal...

They really don't like offering this service from what I can tell..especially since everyone I've spoken to, except the cute girl at the desk has said something bad about them and then said...you don't get that with the box...

I used to be in sales, and it sounds like something they've been told to say. Especially since they always follow that with a listing of what the box offers as if I don't already know, since I already have one...

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 238
I hear the same things from my end also, bottom line is they don't have an option...the FCC madated the "Plug and Play" order and like it or not this technology is not going away. Personally I'm all for it, once all the bugs are worked out it will make it easier for both the consumer and the tech working with them. Less wiring, better PQ who wouldn't want that?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Cable operators don't want subscribers to use 1-way CableCARDs because the bottom line is you will achieve a higher quality picture and it will cost less money to do so. Perhaps when 2-way CableCARDs become available, which give CATV providers the opportunity to sell additional service(s), they will more enthusiastically support them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
"Cable operators don't want subscribers to use 1-way CableCARDs because the bottom line is you will achieve a higher quality picture and it will cost less money to do so. Perhaps when 2-way CableCARDs become available, which give CATV providers the opportunity to sell additional service(s), they will more enthusiastically support them."

..and then be able to also charge money for them, due to all of the features...

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 243
I think the better PQ for less cost is gonna win no matter what the cable operators want. Bottom line if the subscriber can pay less and get more they are going to do so. If the cable company doesn't recognize that, they're going to lose business. I really don't think that with the advent of the two-way system the price is going to go up because the PPV and MOD aspect of it are a pay to use, so no cost increase there. The only thing they could charge for increase of service would be the interactive program guide (IPG) that is available on some of the DCR TV's, but not all of them have it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I don't even rent movies on PPV anyways...I usually buy them or sometimes rent...

when I see a movie that I like or hear a review from certain people with the same taste, I usually buy..

I have a specific taste in movies...and the STB hardly ever broadcast's new HDTV movies on PPV except for the teminal and shrek 2 *rolls eyes*...other than that, they show movies that should be on HBO, because they are from like 1995 and whatnot...

horrible..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Buying the "fancy" toys is one thing... finding decent content to view is quite another...

Anyone up for a rerun of "Joey?" :-)

Username: Not2sharp

Post Number: 1
We recently had a cable card installed by TWC on our Sharp LC32D7U. Everything works fine, in fact better than planned. I find that we recieve signals for channels we are not subscribed to, but only for a short period (15 mins or so) and then it stops.

Two questions, why is it doing this and how do I make that access permanent? =)

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 246
1. the tuner recognizes the channel is there, but the authorization for you to view that channel is not there....

2. Paying for the channels would make them work properly

Glad to hear everything went smoothly for you.

props
Unregistered guest
Just had a CableCard installed this past weekend on my Pana 50PX50U, using RCN in NYC. The picture quality on SD channels was immensely improved, and look sharp even on a 50". The HD channels still look great. I would highly recommend going the CC route if you have the compatibility.

The first CC install didnt work. And I even did a firmware upgrade before the 2nd time they came to retry with other cards. You can get the upgrade by calling Panasonic and they mail u a SD card which goes into a slot next to the CC slot.

RCN tried to talk me out of the CC every step of the way. Saying its "flaky", picture quality won't improve, etc.. Don't listen to it.

What was odd was even when I had the cable line plugged direct into the TV, no CC, the same SD channels looked bad...

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 248
Glad to hear everything went smoothly the second time around. Can't say why the pictures looked so bad without the CC installed. Shouldn't have been that much of a difference because the analog channels don't go through the CC. Anyway hope all remains well

cable girl
Unregistered guest
again the cable card has nothing to do with closed captioning. comcast doesn't provide or block closed captioning or language changes either, these things have to do with your tv. they had closed captioning without the cable card? so you were getting high def channels without the cable card? did you have the hd box? if not then how exactly did you get any reception on those channels? perhaps i am misunderstanding.

also, the reason we don't suggest the cable cards is that there are so many problems with them. it has nothing to do with money because trust me your monthly bill does not go into my bank account. we tell people to get the box because you get more options with it and its much easier to trouble shoot when you have problems. we are not out to get anyone we are trying to be helpful when we make this suggestion.

Username: Brent1018

I have to disagree with your statement cable girl. It is always about money when it comes to any cable company. Granted the money may not be going into your bank account, but it is the cable company that pushes the set-top boxes. The problem is not with the CC as you state, but with the cable companies. I am with Time Warner Cable and have had three techs out to my house concerning the CC. Each one of them gave me improper info, lied, and in one case a tech just admitted that he was not trained and that very few techs knew how to deal with CC issues. So in my humble opinion there is a lack of training, motivation, and initiative on the part of my cable provider. When techs come out, they only want to hook up what's familiar to them and move on because they don't want to troubleshoot CC problems. If there are problems, they are going to do two things. First, they will blame the manufacturer. Second, they will try and push the set-top box. The first tech that came to my house followed this line of reasoning and I took his word hook, line, and sinker. He blamed my Q-box, so I had it replaced. Guess what? I still have the same problem.

Now as much as the techs have gotten under my skin I don't blame them because they can't help it if their employers are not providing training, etc. But I do blame the cable company for not adapting to change, and instead bucking new technology like the CC that in the long run will reduce their bottom lines.

Now I have a couple of questions for you cable girl. Why would cable operators spend millions of dollars on CC training/troubleshooting when it is not really in their best interests since it will reduce profit margins (even if CC customer only make up a small % of the total customer)? Second, why would your employer invest money in CC technology that will make million of $$ worth of their set-top boxes obsolete and at the same time encourage more CC subscribers? It is so much easier for them to say (I'm paraphrasing a tech here) "You know the CC has lots of problems, probably due to manufacturing bugs. You know we could clear this up today with a set-top box and plus you would be able to get interactive menus and on demand programming."

What will be the result of this? First, CC customers like me will tell their friend and relatives not to buy CC sets because of the aggravation. Second, most CC customer will get frustrated with their cable provider and give in to the set-top box. It is a win-win situation for you and your employer. They get to continue to pander their $8.50 a month set-top boxes, your working day is much easier, and at the same time the negative press about CCs will prevent a further reduction of their profits. This problem is made worse when the cable provider is a monopoly in your area and they have no competition.

Finally, interactive options and on demand may be good for some, but don't assume that everyone wants, or needs more options. I have more channels now than I can watch. The last tech that came out went on and on saying "if it were me I would want on demand, PPV, etc.... I personally would not want CC for that reason." Again, all of these options spell profit and convenience for the cable company. People like me choose CCs for three good reasons. One, we save lots of money on an already outrageous cable bill. Two, we eliminate the need for another piece of equipment and remote control that is going to eat up electricity and collect dust. Third, we don't want PPV, or movies on demand and have no intentions on spending more money. CC customers are willing to give up needless channels, options, and equipment for the convenience of CC (or at least that is what we thought to begin with). All three of these reasons spell disaster for Time Warner Cable, as well as any cable provider.

Cable companies are just prolonging the inevitable for the sake of $$$. There will be a day when all of those useless boxes are a thing of the past. If you are reading this and having problems with your CC, don't give up or give in to the dreaded set-top box.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 249
Very well put Brent, even though I work for a cable provider you are stating some things that I agree with.
#1. The providers are not going to make this technology go away just because it doesn't make them money. The FCC mandates it, personally I'm all for it. The better PQ and less wiring to deal with makes it a great addition to a customer's EQ. Although there are some bugs to work out, most of them have already been identified and corrective action taken. Usually speaking the main reasons they don't work is incorrect software in the TV, bad signal levels, or something in the signal that is causing certain data to not get through.
#2. Functionality without the STB's is much easier for the consumer 1 remote, no need to switch inputs, PIP, and features normally lost when using a STB. You paid good money for the latest in technology and you are able to use your TV the way the manufacturer intended.
#3. Yes there is a lot that needs to be done to get the technicians up to speed on troubleshooting CC's. It's new and like all other EQ, it will eventually be the norm. Especially when the two way versions come out, the argument about PPV/MOD/IPG are right out the window. The fact that you don't have a desire to watch PPV/MOD is a clear example of not everybody needs these services. It's nice to have the option though, and currently it's not an option without a STB. This will change once everything is worked out. Then a whole new series of troubleshooting scenarios will arise.

The long and short of it, it makes my job a lot easier to connect a CC now that I understand what makes them tick. Once technicians are fully exposed to the ins and outs of this technology it won't be any different then dealing with STB issues. Most people fear change, it's unfamiliar and it's always easier to back away then to face it head on. The monitary set back to the providers is something for the industry to have to deal with, not the consumer. The millions invested in the STB's will eventually be lower due to the fact the industry supply/demand will dictate which way the company spends it's money. If they're not paying more money for STB's then that money can be spent on better upgrading of the cable plant and providing better choices in programming, which in the long haul is what most people want for their money anyway. Most customers are familiar with the STB's and don't want to change... and there will always be some new piece of equipment for them to play around with. Right now it's called the CC, and it's not going anywhere. Quoting you "Don't give up or give in" Amen brother, amen!

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your response cableguy. You make some interesting points that are well taken. Your comments concerning FCC regulation and two-way CCs are interested and have given me food for thought. I do see your point that it would be in the best interest of the cable companies to invest in CC technology because it will streamline their operations and they could still be able to send PPV, MOD, etc. However, that only applies to future advancement in the CC itself. For the time being it is not in the best interest for cable companies to worry with one-way CCs. This goes back to an earlier point that I made. If changes in technology limit the ability of the cable company to make money and pander their STBs and interactive services than they will push back. Cable providers may cherish the day when they do not have to invest in STBs and instead upgrade, but for now they are the bread & butter of the industry. When the technology becomes two-way, then the cable companies will have the incentive to work with the customer to resolve problems and lower their own operating expenses. I bet that when the technology does come along cable companies will stop with the "it's the manufacturer, not us" routine. Granted the current technology is new and it will always be a struggle to adapt and train, I concede that point. I do however think that some cable providers will hide behind that argument of "it so new and has bugs" until the two-ways come along. Then they will quickly change their tunes and no longer downplay and ridicule the technology.

I do want to reiterate the fact that I don't blame technicians like yourself, or other that post on this site. You guys are the exception to the rule. Your comments along with those of other technicians on this site have been particularly helpful as I have struggled with my cable provider over the last six-weeks. However, 90+% of techs will not be so helpful in the real world.

On a different note, I was hoping that you could help me with my own problem. I sent you a private email yesterday, but maybe you have not had a chance to check your email so I will ask you here. I have followed the advice that you and my own cable technician have provided and replaced the Q-box just for the sake of making sure that it is not an issue with the set itself. Now here is where thing get hairy. My tech told me that once the Q-box was fixed all of my problems would be solved. No need for further service calls he said. Well, not exactly. Replacing the Q-box was certainly the right thing to do just to eliminate the argument that it was the manufacturers fault. Here is where it gets funny. The Sony tech came to my house and replaced the Q-box. The whole time he was there he condemned Time Warner and blamed them. After replacing the box I still had the same problems and the Sony tech swore that the Q-box did not really need to be replaced anyway (he said he needlessly replaces many Q-boxes because of inept cable provider and techs). He said that he wished he could talk with the tech who had told me what to do. Well, the tech in question lives on my street, so I called him up and he agreed to come over right then. When he arrived at my home, he and the Sony tech started arguing over who was to blame right in my living room! I could not believe my eyes. I knew right then that I was in more trouble than I had bargained for. Now I know that you have mentioned on this site that once the Q-box is replaced that a cable tech must come out to service the CC. Could you comment on what you mean by "remarrying" the CC with the set, and updating the host I.D., IP numbers, etc.? The tech I'm working with has agreed to come after hours to help me since he lives down the street (helps me since I am tired of having to get off from work so often). He plans on bringing another CC, but I need some ammunition before he arrives. What would you advise him to do since he does not seem to know? Thanks again for your comments and help.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 250
Ok, let's get one thing straight...there is only one reason why the Q-box needs to be replaced, and has been stated before, if you see an error message 161-6 that is a clue you need to contact Sony and schedule to get the Q-box replaced. This is the only reason to have the Q-box replaced. If there are problems with certain channels not working or something else not doing what it's should be, I would defer to Sony to see if they feel the Q-box could be at fault. Again the 161-6 error is a known hardware issue and that's why the Q-box is replaced.

Now, that being said.... Once the Q-box is replaced that assigns a new Host ID to your television. Since your CC was paired to the old Host ID, somebody needs to modify the host pairing information in the cable system. It goes like this...your old Host ID, which was "married" to the CC ID in the system. Your specific Host ID coupled with the CC ID gets authorization to release the channels to which you are subscribing to. When your Q-box is replaced the system still is sending authorization to the old Host ID, not the new one. You can view this information by going into your TV menu-applications-CableCard-CableCard Info. There are two ways I've heard this problem dealt with, some systems simply swap out the old CC for a new and marry the new Host ID and new CC ID, or what I do is have the old Host ID removed and insert the new one. This can be done over the phone with no need to wait for a technician to show up. Keep in mind this is how I do it in my system, and may not be done that way in yours. If you look at the CP info screen in the CC section of your menu, it more then likely says "waiting for CP auth" and will remain so until the new Host ID is paired ("married") into the cable system. Once CP authorization is recieved you should be able to view all the channels you are paying to recieve.

If you are not, then you are getting into the same ol "what is causing this thing to not work scenario". Have the technician verify your FDC (forward data carrier) frequency with his meter on the cable line at your TV set. It should not be any lower then -15 or higher then +15 dBmV, optimum -10 +10 ideal as close to zero as possible. Anything lower or higher then specifications indicates there is a signal level issue and needs to be resolved before it will work properly. If the signal is too low, the data that tells the CC to start working may be lost and hence problematic. You should also have him check the SNR (signal to noise ratio) There is actually a screen in your menu that has a TV diagnostic, but I don't remember exactly where it's found...it's not the CC diagnostic screen. The TV will show you in-band and OOB (out of band) frequency and SNR if it's dropping below 29 on the left hand column you more then likely will see digitizing or pixelating pictures and I would recommend that wires start getting replaced to rule out a bad line. Another benefit on this screen is it shows the frequency that the FDC is found on and should say locked, meaning it found the FDC and grabbed a hold of it. If it doesn't say locked then it's not finding it, and is searching...and will continue to search until the signal levels are sufficient enough for it to lock onto. I'm trying to just touch the basic "need to check me" things and hope this helps, but it's always easier to fix things when you can get your hands on it, then preach from the bandstands.... ;o) I'm always watching here and if you have any questions please post them. I'm not always checking my email, but I'm always checking here. Best of luck with it

Post Number: 3
Well done cableguy. Your suggestions will no doubt help with my current jam. I will pass along this info to my technician and I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for the help and direction.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 251
np, I'd be curious if you don't mind checking... when you get a chance I checked on the diagnostic screen where you can see the IB and OOB frequency and SNR...it's in the menu under applications above the CC option. Can you copy down what's on that diagnostic screen. Not to confuse, because there is a CC diagnostic screen that is in the applications-cablecard section...this diagnostic is visible before you go into the CC section. Let me know what it says, and let me know what your CP info screen says.

thanks

Post Number: 4
Yeah, I am familiar with the diagnostic screen that you are referring to. I will copy that information down when I get home from work, but it will be tomorrow before I can get back to you on this (no internet access at home). Thanks again.

Mike0607
Unregistered guest
Just to throw my 2 cents worth in, I think there is more than enough blame to go around for the problems with the CC. I will absolutely agree that there should be more training for the poor guys in the field whether it be CC, Digital Phone, or whatever comes next. I have a great deal of sympathy for those who are given a card and then thrown to the wolves, cause I have been there in the past with other rollouts. However, even with training, a large percentage of the issues would still have existed with CC due to TV manufacturer problems, hidden diagnostic menus, card problems, and existing wiring problems, and no history to work from.

I cannot begin to count the hours I have been on the phone with SA, and TV manufacturers trying to get to the bottom of CC problems. The manufacturers all have websites, but I have yet to find one that lists known issues with any of their TVs. 5 manufacturers have issued firmware upgrades since 12/04, and Panasonic is still at it with another on 8/1. We are now on the 3rd version of code for the CC in our system.

As most of the cable folks who post here do, I work for TW, my 5th cable company. I know there are areas we can improve in, particularly when it comes to training on new technologies. I do feel we are sometimes unfairly condemned for not being up to speed the very next day. One of my computers at home still runs Windows 98, and Microsoft still issues fixes for that system a decade later, but our new products have to work instantaneously. For my part, I have never done a CC install, but I do get the calls most everyday from guys in a home, trying to make these cards work. Is it the cable, is it the TV, is it the card, which component needs the upgrade?

I found this forum after being told by an SA rep to do a Google search for 161-6 errors for Sony TVs. Nothing in that search directed me to a Sony website where they had posted their problems. I found out about the problem here, but I see little or no criticsm of Sony, or any other manufacturer for that matter. To my knowledge, we have not had a customer that was contacted by the manufacturer of their many thousand dollar television before we made them aware of a known issue, and had them call.

The cable person on the street is supposed to be knowledgeable of all equipment out there, regardless of manufacturer, and no matter how new it is. I recall numerous instances a few years back when an angry customer asked, "What do you mean you can't make my surround sound work?" It was not that I could not, but it really was not my job to teach someone how to operate their system. If I had time, I would work with them. This was not always possible because the other 10 people I had calls for that day did not want to hear I was late, or they were missed because I was working on someone's surround sound system. Call the cable company, because they don't charge for service, like everyone else does, has been the motto since I got into this business 25 years ago.

When Sony sent a "tech" out to replace the Q-box for one of our customers, I got a call from him about remarrying the card. I told him I would need the new Host ID. The Sony service person did not know how to find it. I suspect he just did not wait long enough, or look very hard, as he was in a hurry, had 2 more Q-boxes to replace that day. Our tech went, got the new Host ID, and this customer has not had a problem since, to my knowledge. There are problems on all sides.

I do not look for the STB to go anywhere for a very long time. In spite of what the government wants to happen, a great percentage of our customers are not going to go out and buy a new TV if they can get a STB, and get by. Having done service in the past, I know how many folks do not want to change, or more often spend the money to change, even when it would be to their benefit to do so. Also as systems go to all digtal, the current STB will eventually become obsolete, only to be replaced by another for those without digital tuners.

I do not agree with customer service, or technicians trying to talk folks out of the card, but they should be honest about what problems do exist, and IF they are aware, the cause, so the customer can make an informed decision. Too often, some of us are guilty of passing on opinions, and rumors, not facts. (I am NOT referring to ANYONE who posts here.)

I purchased an "HD television", but it does not have a digital tuner, or Q-box, and I won't purchase a new set until the 2-way card is working. I have read too much about the current TVs not doing 2-way when it becomes available, and seeing the problems manufacturers have had with 1-way, I will wait. I hope that the manufacturers will have a fix for the current 1-way sets, but if not, some will think it is the cable company trying to block 2-way cards.

I do believe the 2-way card will be welcomed. To be able to put that thing in a customer's TV, and have them ordering on demand, and PPV without the company having to buy a STB seems like a win-win situation. That and the fact that we should be able to pull diagnostics from the set remotely, as we currently can with the STB, will also be welcomed.

Ultimately, I feel the biggest blame for the headaches we are currently dealing with belongs to our friends at the FCC. By forcing the 1-way card on all of us, they created this mess, and for a card no one will want when 2-way rolls out. Even if the customer does not care about IPG, On Demand, PPV, we know they will want all the bells and whistles when it arrives. The 1-way card caught us cableguys somewhat clueless, the manufacturers rushed unproven products to market, and in the end the customer is caught in the middle. One more instance of our government looking out for the little guy.

I do not post often, but I look here most everyday to see what is going on out there. I seldom have the time to post, and when I get home, I really don't want to think about work. Aside from the CC, we have other upgrades, consolidations, and new equipment we are installing on an almost daily basis that the customer will never see, and likely never know exists, other than their picture may look a little better, or the on demand may work a little faster.

I don't expect folks to know, or for that matter care, about these things, or the money that the company spends. They just want their service to work, and someone has got to catch the grief when it does not. Nor will the customer want to hear that their call can't be scheduled for the next day because the Tech or Installer that might have run that call is in training. It is a double edged sword, and we will catch it no matter which way it goes, but that is the nature of the beast, and most of us accept that we will catch some grief.

So comes the other part of the reason I do not post often. The conspiracy theorists, and those who do not want to compare apples to apples, (call for service from your satellite, or phone company sometime) tend to piss me off, and I should not post what I really think of the speculations, and comments. Most times after checking the posts, and reading the problems some write about, I wish I was in the cheese business.

I do not know everything, and will be the first to admit it. I am an old analog guy, some days going a little crazy trying to navigate around a Headend with way more stuff in it than I have ever had to deal with in the past. I do know the vast majority of my fellow cableguys, are very hard working, and conscientious people, and I often do not react well to the criticisms, even if it sometimes deserved.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post. I do enjoy reading what others write, most of the time, even if it only lets me know I am not the only one scratching my head.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 252
nice post Mike, hang in there brother we're going forward from where we currently are!

Post Number: 5
I can understand the frustration that cable technicians may have with their employers, as well their customers. I'm a broker for a rather large firm, so I know all too well how frustrating it can be to deal with customers who expect the instantaneous results and are quick to place blame. Most people in the country work in some sort of service industry, so we all have to deal with these problems and headaches. In the case of new products/technology, I'm more than sympathetic and patient when it comes to problem resolution. I appreciate the comments posted here by concerned cable technicians who actually want to help and try and set things straight. But when it comes to Time Warner Cable there is little that can be said here that will change my opinion concerning CCs or anything else for that matter. Please understand that my opinions are my own and they are based on 10 years of experience dealing with Time Warner, not just on my experiences with the CC issues. A company is really only as good as its front line of support. I could call Time Warner three times today and get three different explanations for any given problem. Over time, customers get the impression that their cable provider just does not know what they are talking about, so the trust factor goes right out the window. Again, this is no fault of the technician, but it is a problem with the company itself. This is simply a leadership issue from the top down. I see where the "apples to apples" comes from, but comparing cable service to phone/power/etc. is like comparing apples to oranges in my opinion. The difference is those companies have compeitition and have to adapt and please, Time Warner does not.

When I first scheduled an appointment to upgrade to digital, my poor wife got off of work for four hours to wait for the technician and he never showed up. We called TW and the customer service rep. says someone forgot to submit the paper work. "Sorry about that, but we can get someone out there next week" she says. So we scheduled another appointment and guess what, the same thing happened again. My wife gave up on taking time off from work because she was too embarrassed to ask her boss if she could get off for a third time. Since then, I have worked with three techs one of which claimed to be a "guru" of CCs technology, but as far as I can tell I know more than he did. Now I am usually a very patient person, but enough is enough. I truly believe that this problem is compounded by the fact that TW is a monopoly in my area (forget satellite, I hope that we can all agree that it does not count). The downfall of any monopoly is usually a result of a gradual decline in customer focus. Again, why would TW care about CC issues if it really has no incentive to work harder, especially since their customers have no other option, except to pay more money to Time Warner for their STB. And I do not at all consider this a conspiracy by TW. I think that it is a general unwillingness too adapt to a technology that dumbfounds TW, as well as a mentality that, "well we don't like this technology, so we don't think you should either." Conspiracies imply that a small number of sneaky executives or elites are trying to pull the wool over our eyes. This is not what I meant to imply with any of my arguments. I don't believe in conspiracy theories concerning the cable companies (or in general for that matter), but I do believe that there is a lack of concern by cable monopolies that generates enormous profits, but seems unable to keep it word or do its basic job. (which is part of the reason for FCC mandates) When you mention to a friend or co-worker that you are having cable problems the usual response is "good luck with that, I'm glad it's not me."

Now in two recent postings cable techs keep mentioning that the customer really wants the STB because of this, or that. Those posting go on to mention that customers do not want to buy the new technology, etc. These comments are missing the point and focus too much on the here and now, and not the future. As sets wither and die (as mine did) many customers are going to naturally levitate towards better technology that they hope will last another 10-20 years or whatever. Especially if the technology promises less hassle, equipment, and especially money spent on STBs. TW really has an obligation to work with their client base to help them as they move toward these new technologies, not to maneuver them away from this towards what is convenient for them or their bottom-line. I can appreciate someone telling me the pros and cons of any given technology, but I do feel that the negativity portrayed by TW concerning the CC is somewhat driven by stubbornness and their inability to send us the options that they so desperately need to sell. That is exactly why two-way CCs will be embraced when they arrive and one-way CC will not. But in the meantime, cable providers should become the experts on the technology that does exist, embrace the change, and stop blaming the government and whoever else that comes to mind.

So like the last guy, I'm done with my rant. This forum is an excellent medium for airing grievances and getting solutions to problems. Please do not get upset, or offended, or quit your job to work in cheese based on the comments of cable customers like myself. Cable techs provide a valuable service and I appriciate that (especially those on this forum), its just your employers that bother me.

Post Number: 6
O.K. cableguy, I have the info you requested.

In Band (FAT)
SNR: 0
AGC: 0
Frequency: 69000

OOB
Symbol Rate: 772
Bit Map: 1544
SNR: 23

So based on this I need all new wires I'm guessing? Will I need to do anything else besides relaying the new host I.D.? Thanks.

Dan Walker
Unregistered guest
I was just passing through and read the blog concerning the set top boxes for HD, and the cable cards. I think I feel BG's pain on this situation. I to am in the same market where we only have one cable provider. It seems the only way to get more for what you pay for is to go with a satelite provider. I believe in BG's case, Time Warner just hasn't put the money in to train their employees up to, and beyond the call of duty. It is clear to me that Time Warner in general like all companies want to maximize the profit, and minimize the cost. That's why I personally subscribe to satelite television.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
I wish I could agree with you, Dan...

But I hated Comcast...until I signed a 1 year contract with Direct TV and almost begged to have Comcast back...I missed my local sports(unless I wanted to purchase the plan to get every single game)...and the ONDemand features....one of my TV's has it and I'm fine with just one...

The other has CableCard....DTV is just a pain in the a$s...plus, Comcast doesn't lose it's signal nearly as easy as DTV....Comcast sucks...but DTV sucks a$s..

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 254
BG I don't know why you're not getting any SNR on the channel your In Band...hmmmm The fact that your Status is locked and the frequency is 69000 indicates it has no problem seeing the FDC. Where you looking at a digital channel or an analog channel when you went into the diagnostic? Sorry like I said, it's easier to troubleshoot in person then from here....
As far as the new wires I'd wait to see what happens till they remarry your new Host ID, if you still aren't getting any digital channels start replacing wires. The easiest thing to do is go into your CC menu and look under CP information. Put your TV on a digital channel before you go into the menu. let me know what that screen says once the marriage has taken place.

Dan, no ill will intended it's not a matter of putting money into training, it's a matter of a new product that varies greatly by manufacturer and getting support and training from each of them would be a logistical nitemare. Don't be mislead, the CC is not that complicated, like any new product it just takes time to learn what makes it tick. I'm pretty sure you can't just go out and buy a new product and thoroughly test it before you bring it home. There are too many factors to consider, yes training is the resposibility of the cable company for their employees, I don't ever remember anybody telling me I couldn't get training because of cost. It's more established we are a cable provider, we are responsible up to "X" point, software problems in a TV are not our responsibility. The product was rushed into market and we're dealing with it, 1 by 1 it's being resolved. Patience pays in the long run.

Mike0607
Unregistered guest
Good points from all.

BG rest easy, I won't be quitting to go into the cheese business anytime soon. I wanted to make sure you did not think the cheese comment was directed toward you. I read other threads on here, and regularly check AVS Forum, so the cheese thing covered a lot of reading.

Cableguy nailed it on the TV issues, and training, but I can certainly understand the frustration a customer feels with what may appear as a lack of concern on TW's part. I am still trying to get delivery of my daughter's gifts for her July 31st birthday from Amazon, so believe me I know the feelings.

I won't ever say we cannot, and should not do better, and that very much includes internal TW communication, and training. I try to regularly update our supervisors on CC, TV issues, and upgrades, so our folks have the latest info for our customers. I can only hope it gets to everyone who needs it. Having worked for other cable companies, I will say TW here does a better job than others, but we can always do better.

It also appears that the manufacturers are starting to get the message. It is in all our best interests to resolve problems as quickly as possible. A few of our Techs have made calls from customer's home to support centers, and been transferred to the folks with some answers. It is getting better.

BG I can't speak to the issues in other divisions, but I hope whichever it is, your situation is resolved soon.

We could likely debate the good and bad of cable/phone/satellite/etc, monopolies, or lack thereof, until my retirement, and not ever find agreement on any of it. For my part, while I do have my frustrating days, I don't think there is a more interesting business to be in. Coming from a 22 channel system in South Florida in the late 70s, to where the cable industry is today is sometimes mind boggling. Things are still changing, almost by the day, as are the challenges. It is never boring, and that is a big part of why I have chosen to stay in the business.

It was not my intention to offend anyone, or make the cable industry out to be totally without fault. I hope I did not come across that way. I can gripe with the best of them about my job, and the company, if you catch me on the right day. Not today, it is Friday, and I got a lunch. I did enjoy reading all your responses. Take care all, and thanks for the feedback.

Post Number: 7
I'm not at all offended, I was only worried that others (especially techicians like yourself) may take my comments out of context. I always enjoy a spirited debate no matter what the topic may be.

Now Dan I like that you agree with me, but I in no way agree with you concering satillite. The inability to receive HD local is enough reason not to go in that direction (assuming you need HD), let alone all the other hassels you have to deal with.

Thanks for the suggestions cableguy, I will check the numbers again on both the analog and digital channels (since I can't remember which channel I was on when I wrote down everything). I hoped to get this issue resolved but....(the technician was supposed to call me last night and guess what???? You know where I'm going with this). TGIF and have a good weekend.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 259
BG, you don't need to worry about anything being taken out of context. First and foremost, this is an open forum and anybody that has good customer service skills would not be offended by anything that is said here. Frustration can make people say things that some people take personal...the whole point is, this isn't personal it's business. When a customer is unhappy I try to understand why they are upset, address those concerns and then assure them this will no longer be a source of frustration for them when I am done. Listening to the problems is the first part of any successful troubleshooting. You can't just go to a doctor and say "I'm sick", the doctor is going to ask probing questions, to get to the specific root cause. I am a cable doctor, I'm not the best, but I do have faith in my abilities to find the answers.
One thing I would like to commend in this thread is that although we get the occasional bashing, pretty much everybody has done a good job of keeping it clean and really trying to find the answers to each problem. It is because of people coming to seek answers that better helps us all in the long run. So, even though I don't work for this site, thank you all for being civilized, helpful and courteous.

If you remember nothing else I say about this technology, remember I always say patience is a virtue, with CC's it's a requirement lol. We eventually together will find the answers and I wanted to make sure you all know how I feel about this thread, ya'll keep rockin', I'll do what I can.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
"Cableguy nailed it on the TV issues, and training, but I can certainly understand the frustration a customer feels with what may appear as a lack of concern on TW's part.

I won't ever say we cannot, and should not do better, and that very much includes internal TW communication, and training. I try to regularly update our supervisors on CC, TV issues, and upgrades, so our folks have the latest info for our customers. I can only hope it gets to everyone who needs it. Having worked for other cable companies, I will say TW here does a better job than others, but we can always do better.

It also appears that the manufacturers are starting to get the message. It is in all our best interests to resolve problems as quickly as possible. A few of our Techs have made calls from customer's home to support centers, and been transferred to the folks with some answers. It is getting better." Mike0607

--------------------------------------------------

Subscribers would not feel that sense of frustration if Time Warner's customer service representatives would be more honest regarding their support efforts. Typically, if the service representative cannot easily resolve a technical issue, they resort to "bullshitting" the subscriber in an effort to "clear their support call." It's the sense of being bullshitted and "blown-off" that angers the subscriber most. For the $100+ per month we pay to this monopoly organization we deserve better.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 264
Ouch Op.... I feel your pain, I'll pass along what I can to upper level management about what you're describing. Keep in mind customer service people that answer the phone aren't tech oriented, it's usually read from a script that helps them help you over the phone. Each individual that answers the phone, may find the answer if they look deep enough. I know in our system all calls are monitored and can be pulled up at any given time for review. Keep the name of the customer service rep/date/time handy. If you ever feel you are being BS'd by somebody, please call back and request to speak with a supervisor about the way you were handled. I hope this doesn't sound like a blow off answer, but TW does try to do the best they can. Keeping in mind CC technology is so new, and varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. This by no means gives TWC or any other provider carte blanche to not make sure their support lines aren't up to speed on new technology. I don't want to sound like the typical "blow smoke up your keester" kind of employee, I try to get as much information I can on new products because I realize we'll be working on them as soon as customer's purchase them. If you feel you're ever being BS'd, take my advice, contact a supervisor and tell them what your concerns are about the call, and the way you felt you were treated. I can say with 100% confidence that it will be investigated and corrective action will be taken. In my area of the world, these allegations are taken very seriously, and we strive on keeping everybody as up to date as possible. The bottom line always falls upon the person you are speaking with when they pick up the phone to answer your call. The amount you pay, in my book, is irrelevant $36 or $200, it's not what you pay, it's what you're paying for regardless of the amount. If you go to a store and buy a CD for $16, you take it home and expect it to work. If it doesn't it's a hassle to have to go back to the store and replace it. Cable TV is the same way, you're paying for a service and expect to get what you pay for, not the hassles. I'm right there with ya brother.

No ill will intended, no disrepect either... I feel your pain, wish I could do more...hope there is some logic in my answers that might help you better understand what's going on and how to get things resolved. I do what I can, when I can and exhaust every resource in the process. Best regards,

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
You are the "exception" to the rule.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 269
Op, I hear that a lot, so thanks for noticing. It's really not that hard to do, listen to the customer's concerns (notice I said concerns not complaints) understand what/where the issue is at and correct it, it's that easy. Feel free to contact me if you still feel you're being run around, I can't promise much but I can at least look into it and see if there is anything that can be done from my end.

Mike0607
Unregistered guest
Same folks Optivity is talking to must work part time for Amazon. LOL All of what Cableguy said exists in our system as well. Kick it up a level if you are not satisfied, someone will investigate your call.

newbie123
Unregistered guest
I recently had a COX cable card installed on my Samsung HL-R5067W. All my digital and HD channels worked fine until the next morning when all digial and HD signals were completely lost. Only way to recover these channels was to unplug the TV, replug, and restart (resetting the cable card via tv menu did not work). This has happend multiple times and I've noticed a very distinct pattern. The outage only happen overnight and the TV always seems to be tuned to PBS when I turn it on. It seems the TVGOS is using the cable PBS signal to perform updates and this is somehow causing the cable card config to go haywire. Does anyone know if this is a known issue with TVGOS and COX cable card service? If so, is there a fix? Thanks in advance for any help or advise.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 272
Not sure if it's an issue with Cox, have you contacted Samsung to see if they are aware of the problem first? It would seem that if everything is working and rebooting your TV is correcting the problem, it might be something in your TV that is causing it. Please keep us posted as to what you find out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
The bottom line is... even when the CableCARD works correctly, since most digital/HD material is "copy protected" devices like DD 5.1 receivers and internal DVRs are disabled so subscribers cannot fully enjoy the program content they pay for.

I was sending Time Warner more than $150 per month & still pay $100+ per...

it's not like I'm ever going to be "hawking" pirated DVDs on some street corner... and in return this is the thanks we get for "playing by the rules..."

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 276
Yeah Op, I've heard and read a lot about this same complaint, the problem isn't caused by the cable companies, it's caused by the big studios that release these shows. We have an obligation to comply to the HDCP issue, I'm sure there's some legal write up somewhere exactly to what and why this exist. It would seem to me the IEEE 1394 firewire, which has the "ok to copy once" built into it for digital content, you would think they could script the same for HD content. I think you know from our previous communications that I'm not going to disagree about your complaint, I try not to imply the "you're wrong/I'm right" mentality sometimes found in forums, we can agree to disagree...with the exception I don't disagree, just pointing out we don't set the HDCP standard, we just comply with it. It doesn't make sense to me based on the digital content recording ability with the firewire, it shouldn't be any different with HD. Copy once is copy once..that's all you're trying to do and should be allowed to. Some laywer somewhere might disagree, but to the common folk like you and me, it will never make sense.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Agreed. But IMO companies like Time Warner & Comcast carry a lot more weight regarding the ability to influence a content provider's "copy protection" policies instead of the individual subscriber.

I just don't understand why a first run episode of "Lost" broadcast in HD by my local ABC affiliate passes no ECMs but a rerun of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is "copy protected" by TNT-HD?

Unregistered guest
I have read and enjoyed the spirited discussion on the state of the cable industry and corporations in general. As with all companies a very good or dedicated employee/technician cannot begin to allieviate the damage done to a reputation by a single incompetent or rude employee. Well done!
Now on to the problem and I hope someone can help me-
Cable Card: Motorola
Equipment: Panasonic PT44LCX-65, LCD/DLP
Providor: Comcast: Chicago, Western Suburbs(Lisle), basic w/expanded- no digital
I cannot receive the HD stations w/o them tiling or the signal dropping out. Here's the pinch, the situation has been going on since June 23, there have been 15 techs out here on over the course of 12 site visits, I have 26 pages of notes I've taken. Here are some of the items done- new 11g from pole to house, all new fittings & spilters 3x's, 2 CC's installed and initialized properly, all SrSnd cables, speakers, phones and components removed and relocated, returned one TV, second has the exact same issues, no software issues from Panasonic (there is an update for SA cards regarding closed caption), HD is ok w/a STB,
Tech('s) state the signal is "fine". Here's the latest strange one,
todays tech (who is very good and dedicated) said that there is "a packet loss at the tuner, it is acceptable for the STB and CC but not the tuner" so the issue/problem is the TV. Help!, can some one explain the "packet loss" and what or where I can keep track of it? Panasonic has a frequency screen accessed by holding down the remote vol up and the set vol up at the same time for 30 seconds. This screen shows FDC, FAT, SNR, QAM, FREQ, MAP, PACKETS, PCR, MODE, LOCK STATUS, POLARITY, RATE, CCard status among other things. I am at a complete loss as to the next chapter in this saga. I do not want the STB at all...even if it were free. so, to re-cap: 1) could you explain the packet loss and 2) whose responsibility it is 3) possible solution/s.
Thank you very much for your time and answers.
Best Regards, John

newbie123
Unregistered guest
For now I've disabled the TVGOS and everything seems to be working ok (keep my fingers crossed) except that I now don't have a program guide. I'm planning on contacting Samgsung soon as I get a chance. I would sure like to have the TVGOS back and working properly with the cable card. I'll provide an update if anything changes. Thanks.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 277
John G.

1) Packet loss is usually associated with reverse signal and internet related problems. If the originating source sent out 100,000 bits of information and the receiving source only recieved 80,000 bits that would be an indication of packet loss. What I find confusing is the tech said you had packet loss at the TV, how was he able to determine it was the TV and not the cable?

2)It depends on where the problem is occuring...if it's in the cable, the cable provider is responsible. If it's in the TV, then the manufacturer is.

3)The easiest thing I can recommend, although it's not 100% in proving the TV is at fault, I would ask them to bring in an HD STB and plug the cable into the STB and go to the channels you are having problems with. If the STB has no break up/channels are coming through fine this just shows there is no problem with the cable signal to the STB. Usually this is sufficient enough to go back to the manufacturer and say everything is working fine on the cable providers equipment, but not through the CC and host television. I would highly recommend you try this "test" and then contact the respective parties, including Panasonic and demand they investigate this matter to completion. Underlying fact is you bought the TV based on the features you are having problems with. If the cable provider is missing something, then the TV manufacturer has to come out and prove where the problem is and what it will take to fix it. You spent good money on something that is not working and shouldn't have to be coming into these forums for help, but we do try. I wish you luck and please keep us posted as to progress.

Unregistered guest
Cableguy,
Thank you for the reply. I have contacted Panasonic and Comcast to try and resolve the issue. Because of "all" the problems involved it was hard to include every detail in the post, a STB was hooked up and worked prior to to Comcast admitting that there was a signal issue, it was "way" out of balance and they had found major breaks in the line, after balancing they now come back and say it's the packet loss. How they determined?, I will ask.
Thank you again for your ideas. John

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
newbie123,

I have a cable card with Comcast and TVGOS works fine on my Toshiba.

Mike0607
Unregistered guest
Interesting concept with the packet loss, I am also curious as to how the determination was made. My contribution pertains to the info Mr Gorsky got from Panasonic. Looking at the upgrade page from Panasonic, there is no mention of any upgrade for "Closed Captioning". There is an upgrade 7/22 for this, and several other model TVs, says it addresses firmware download issues with SA cards, and frozen or missing channels with Motorola cards. Not sure how they came up with closed captioning, unless there is some confusion over what CC stands for. If this has been going on since June, and no upgrade has been done, does not seem the latest firmware could be installed on this TV.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 278
Mike I think the Closed Captioning issue is that some CC customer's that have a need to use Closed Captioning are not able to do so. It's a seperate issue then the one being discussed.

John,
The FDC (forward data carrier) could be losing packets of information, which has nothing to do with the reverse path. If the FDC is bad, or there is interference on that frequency, it could be causing data to be lost. The fact that your channels are tiling or breaking up, would indicate there is some intereference in the QAM, which they would be able to verify with a QAM analyzer. The fact that it was working ok with the STB would indicate the signal levels and QAM were working fine by the STB standards, but the CC's can be very picky about those frequencies based on the manufacturer's parameters. I've run across a similar instance on a different manufacturers TV, where the wireless phones in the house were suspect of causing the problems. The jury is still out on that one.
As always, keep us posted! thanks

Unregistered guest
Thank you again for the explinations, and Mike- I am sure that the firmware dealt w/captioning and SA cards...please trust me with all I've been through! Panasonic called back today, spent 90 minutes reviewing screens and they point toward signal issues again: Data for my Ch 189/CBS/OTA ch2: Freq:747.00Mhz - Lock Status: Locked - Rate: 2.048mbps - Polarity: Inverted - SNR: 17.92 dB Packets: 12543--FAT: Mode 256 QAM - Freq:747.00MHz - Lock Status: Unlocked SNR: ---db at ---dbmV - Video/Signal Status: Type: Digital - PCR Status: Locked PCR PID: n/a - Video PID: n/a - Audio PID: n/a Picture: none or tiled.

For Ch 187/ABC/OTA ch7 Freq: 75.25 - Lock Status: Locked - Rate:2.048Mbps - Polarity: Inverted - SNR: 17.84dB - Packets:15138 - FAT: Mode: 256QAM - Freq: 717.00 MHz - Lock Status: Locked - SNR: 36.27 dB at 11 dBmV - Video Signal Status:
Type: Digital - PCR Status: Locked PCR PID: ox7fd - Video PID: ox7fd Audio PID: ox7fc Picture: Most of the time fine.

I'm awaiting a call back from Comcast, probably tomorrow as I'm sure they have some "fires" to put out from the weekend. I have Siemens cordless phones which I'll move again to see if it changes things. I'll keep you informed, and again, thank you for your time, answers, suggestions and ideas they are very helpful. John

Mike0607
Unregistered guest
No problem folks, just reading what Panasonic's download page says. No way for me to determine if it would change anything, just seemed logical to have the latest firmware installed to eliminate that as a possible cause, particularly since the upgrade says it deals with Motorola cards, and frozen or missing channels. There is no mention of closed captioning anywhere on the page for resolved issues.

newbie123
Unregistered guest
Kdog044 & cableguy,

I think the issue is definitely with the cable card. Even with the TVGOS turned off, I've been experiencing some HD channels dissapearing for hours at a time. After 2 weeks of problems, the cable card finally died. The on-screen message is stuck showing "Cable card firmware upgrade in progress" & "Updating channels". All the HD and digital channels are gone and will not return. COX says that there is nothing they can do and will need to send a tech to investigate. COX states that since the cable card is one way only, there is not much trouble shooting they can do.
Is the type of problem I'm experiencing common with cable cards? Will a COX tech have to be sent out for every problem? I'm losing precious time with each incident.
I'm now wondering if it would just be better to use the COX HD box instead so I could do without the headache. Any advise?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 285
newbie, have you been putting the TV in standby mode, or powering it down? I've heard of a similar instance of this problem, the only solution was to unplug the TV over night instead of powering down or placing in stand by mode. I went back on your post Aug 17th, this is the only relationship I see that mirrors the problem I am referring to. One of the things I always recommend is to contact the manufacturer, which you stated on Aug 20th, but never heard any follow up back on what Samsung had to say about your problem. Since the problem you initially described started when you powered down for the night, and everything was gone in the morning could be helpful to Samsung since I know they are looking into a similar scenario. I'm not saying there isn't a problem with the cable card, but I'm not ruling out the TV either...there is so much information that has not been posted, it's hard to gauge where the problem is originating. I would like to know what Samsung has to say about this issue, if you have contacted them what'd they tell you could be a probable cause? All of the Samsungs in my neck of the woods are working fine, and haven't heard of anyone having a similar problem. The fact that your on-screen message is showing a Cable Card firmware upgrade in progress & updating channels, indicates it lost all the data it had. This coincides with you're no longer able to view the HD or Digital channels.

As for the question of are these problems common? yes and no, it depends on the cable system, cable card, TV and software, and the cable signals and integrity of your cable wires.

Will a COX tech be sent out every time? Only if the problem can be precisely narrowed down to something going on in your cable wiring or cable system... The bigger problem is with this new technology, it's very hard for a cable tech to trouble shoot something when we don't have access to hidden diagnostics internal to the TV that would tell a TV engineer what the TV is seeing or what errors it is detecting. I can't easily haul a 200lb TV on location, and even if I could, just because "X"brand works, doesn't mean that "Y" brand won't be having problems. Each manufacturer writes the software/firmware for their TV..the parameters for signal fluctuations or errors are spec'd out to a general field of operation. I have seen one brand not working properly at a good level and have seen another brand working fine at the same levels.

My advise, take it or leave it, would be to demand Samsung look into why this is happening. You bought the TV for the features it has, and one of those features is not working. If Samsung can send somebody out to your house to investigate the problem, they will be able to tell you if the problem is in their TV or your Cable Company. The key here is to coordinate with your cable provider to have a supervisor or a lead technician meet at your house along with whomever Samsung sends out, that way they can work together to find what is causing the problem. If your cable company goes at it alone, it's really easy to point the finger at the manufacturer, and likewise in the other direction. I've found that it's very easy to get to the root of the problem when the people who make the TV can say "this is what we think is causing the problem", and I'm right there to make any necessary changes to wiring or signal levels.
It's a matter of patience on your part, I'm patient but very impatient if you know what I mean. You as the consumer have rights, you also have options. It would be real easy for me to tell you to throw in the towel and just get the box instead, but where's the fun in that? If you went out and bought a car and had problems with it, wouldn't you demand the dealer fix the problem? It's really no different in my eyes...you paid for something that is not working and it should be fixed. I can understand that you are getting frustrated, believe me I've been there and I know how hard it is to get answers. The minimum you can do, have COX come out, verify signal levels are within spec, swap the CC out, and don't turn the TV that night...unplug it. Do this for about a week and see if any problems occur. Then the following week just turn the TV off, and see if you see the problems reoccur. It takes time to isolate what is initializing the CC or TV to lose it's data, the more information you can provide to your TV manufacturer, the easier it will be for them to try and duplicate the process at their labs and come up with a solution.
Sorry it's so long winded, but I really believe with a little patience and precise information you'll get this problem worked out. Demand nothing less then a full investigation from Samsung and make sure Cox is right there with them in case any fingers start pointing.
As always, keep us posted

mscappa
Unregistered guest
I too just got a similar message, "Firmware upgrade in progress - Cablecard firmware upgrade in prog". I have a Panny 50px500 and have had a SA powerkey CC working beautifully for about a month. I have C0cks Communications here in northern VA, and just as an fyi, they too are a bit behind the curve in trouble shooting the CC installs and issues. their tech's don't seem to be the sharpest tools in the shed of you know what i mean. Anyway, i have someone coming out tomorrow night, but have been without cable for 2 days now! So friggin annoying and completely unacceptable customer service! However, i had been recently experiencing tiling on my upper HD channels and when someone came out to read my signals, they read "-1" on some reads. so the tech said they were definitely low and the would have to boost the signal from the pole, but of course i'd have to schedule someone else to come and do that. UGH! anyway, could the poor signal be the problem? how long does the "Firmware upgrade" process take? anything i can do rather then sit here and stare at this message on my screen?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 286
Usually speaking, when you see the CC firware upgrade in progress the CC is being told there is a new firmware available and it is trying to update. Although this may be true if your cable provider has loaded new firmware in the system, I've actually pre-staged a CC at our office, verified the correct version was loaded to the CC and went to the field with it, only to have the customer's TV tell me there was a firmware upgrade in progress, even though the card still showed the proper version. What I have found is if the FDC (forward data carrier) is too low, the CC is trying to lock onto that frequency and can't. What happens is the TV is trying to verify the firmware version is correct and is looking for a time stamp to validate the CC. If it doesn't get the time stamp, it trys to update the firmware to get the info it needs. One of the first things I would do would be two fold:

1) Call the cable company and ask them to send somebody out that knows something about CC's and have them check the FDC at your TV. It shouldn't be any lower then -15dBmV or higher then +15dBmV, optimum -10 +10. If your FDC is within these levels it should not be trying to upgrade the firmware unless the provider has released a newer version then what was preloaded onto the CC in the first place.

2)Contact Panasonic and see if your particular model has any firmware updates available, and also use that time to discuss with them the problems you are having and see if their tech support can answer why it is happening. You can do this before the cable tech comes out.

Yes poor signal levels can cause this, the firmware ugrade process varies from manufacturer to manufacturer...I've seen anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour. The only thing you can do in the interim is remove the CC from your TV and reprogram the channels and view analog and clear to air HD channels. Something is better then nothing.

Hope this helps, and keep us posted on your progress

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
When my HD channels go out on my CC, all I do is power down and unplug my TV....then I eject the card (not that it helps or whatever, I just do it)..then I go back and plug the TV in and it works fine again....

mscappa
Unregistered guest
so c0cks came by tonight. i have to say, i had my doubts after the guy asked me where the power button was and went to the "memory card" option in my menu to look for cable card settings. But you know what, he took his time, tried a few things, made a few calls and eventually, he made it work. Notice I didn't say he "figured it out", because that certainly wasn't the case. I think the fix was swapping out the card and reprogramming. anyway, he hooked me up with a signal amp, gave me his employee id number and told me if i had any other problems to call and ask for him! i thought that was great customer service. before he left he said, "thanks for being so patient, this CC thing is all kinda new to us, so sorry if you've had issues, hopefully this fix should help." I almost asked him if his screenname was "cableguy" on the ecoustics board!;)

anyway, i truly dislike my cable company due to many years of poor customer service, inexperienced techs, awful cable service, billing issues and many headaches. But this guy....this guy really surprised me. anyway, felt like i had to give credit were credit is due.

thanks for the advice guys and I'll let you know if it pops up again!

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 289
mscappa,
That is one great posting. I wish I could say it was me, be I don't work for Cox. The reason I like the posting so much is that thanks to one guy, taking his time to actually work through the unknowns, to leave you with his information, and walked away with your stuff working. I can tell you first hand, all of the information I've gotten about CC's came from going out on every installation, running into a problem and having to contact the manufacturer for guidance because everything singal wise, as well as using a STB to verify everything was ok was the only way I got to the root cause of why things weren't working. The key there was having access to the manufacturer's...without their knowledge of why things were happening helped me do my job better.

The fact that you are able to come in here and post a positive experience shows a great deal of understanding on your side, "Notice I didn't say he "figured it out", because this certainly wasn't the case" You nailed it right on the head with this statement, I have fixed CC problems just by going through the basic "what I know to check" which he did. Checking the signal levels, swapping the CC out was the best thing he could have done, at least you know it's working properly now, and hopefully you won't have any future problems.

If you do, it's strongly recommended to get Panasonic involved to have them figure out if it's still something in the CC or the cable signal that is causing it to crash. It may be something in the firmware that is failing, wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last...but don't rule out any possibilities until you have all the facts. It's too easy to throw the towel in or blame someone or something without getting that final piece of information that explains why it is happening.

Thanks for updating us, and I hope you don't need to report back that it stopped working. Great Job!
Regards,

newbie123
Unregistered guest
Cox tech service is scheduled for tommorrow. I hope my experience will be as good as mscappa's. Figured I'll give Cox another shot before going to Samsung. BTW, I am also a COX Nothern VA customer. Going from analog cable to HD.

Username: Plasmatvman

Post Number: 3
cable card fuctionality is included in most new plasma tvs. I bought a plasma DISPLAY the other day, it did not include the cable card feature. Pay attention when buying tvs vs displays

Username: Peteyhdtv

Belleville, NJ

Cableguy,
I own a Sony KDF-55WF655 that was purchased in Oct 04 (1 year warranty running out soon!). It's not my everyday TV, as it's in the basement and used mostly for sports and movies. Anyway, since I've had it, I would get 161-4 errors that could be fixed by simpling unplugging and plugging back in. Then I made the ill-fated decision to add a STB to a separate TV in my house that I picked up from a walk-in center (Cablevision). When I got home, my CableCARD was no longer working. They had mistakenly taken the CC off my account and replaced it with the STB. So they had to send a tech out to fix the problem since they couldn't fix it remotely. The tech, who was really great, said he was surprised my old SA card worked as well as it did since it appeared to be from a defective series of cards. So he replaces the CC, we get a message saying "updating firmware", and when all is said and done...TV works fine.

That was a few weeks ago. Now I'm getting a problem where I suddenly see a flicker and get "no signal" for about 10-15 seconds, and then the channel reappears. Perfect for missing key scenes in movies. :-) BUT, worst case, I lose all my non-analog channels and all my HD channels except for HBO HD. Then I have to do the 'ol unplug and plug in. I've also gotten a smattering of 161-4 errors and a rare 161-6 error. Does this sound like a CC problem or a TV problem? I don't want to rush to rash decisions about it being the known 161-6 hardware problem, but is my model one of those affected? Since my warranty ends soon, I'm anxious to get the ball rolling with Sony support if it might be a Q-box problem. Sony website says nothing about a firmware update for the TV, but I wonder if one is available, and if that would help.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated!

LCN
Unregistered guest
Kdog044,
Thanks for your earlier post regarding TVGOS. Very helpful. I purchased my Pana 50PX500U last week thinking I could get the TVGOS while using a CC supplied by my cable co (RCN in NYC). Nadda. The tv doesn't seem to be picking up the VBI data from PBS. I checked the signal strength on PBS and it was -6dBmV. Emails to my cable co have been responded with "not our EPG, not our problem". So my guess is either the CC is interferring with the TVGOS data coming in, my signla strength is too low, or RCN is stripping the VBI data from from the PBS signal. I called Panasonic, and they said TVGOS version in these new TVs (008.001.053) may not be supported by all cablecos yet (heck, mine says that they don't support TVGOS at all!). They were going to check, but I have not heard back. Gemstar website says call the TV manufacturer.

Any ideas what I should do for next steps (short of going out ant picking up rabbitt ears - which WILL work?!).

Cableguy,
I guess I could drop RCN and go with TWC to get TVGOS, right?

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 293
Pete,
The 161-4 error usually indicates a problem with the card. The 161-6 error code indicates a problem with the Q-box, that would need to be swapped out to correct. It's quite possible you are still seeing the 161-4 because of the problem that generates the 161-6 error. Since the CC has been swapped out and you are still seeing the -4 error I'd be contacting Sony and reporting the 161-6 error message, along with the fact that you are seeing the channels blink in and out momentarily. Keep in mind that once you have the Q-box swapped out you will need to contact the cable company and have them change your Host ID information. I've heard from other users that some cable companies actually come out and physically swap the card at that point, but I've never had to swap one, we just delete the old host pairing information and enter the new. Something else you can do, which is highly recommended is stop pulling the CC out to correct your error messages or missing channels On the Sony TV's you can go into the Menu/Applications/CableCARD and simply choose the reset this will reboot the TV and after about 10-15 minutes everything should be ok again. I don't like to hear about people pulling these cards out anymore then absolutely necessary, because you run the risk of damaging the pins in the CC slot. Hope this helps

LCN,
Come on man, you're asking me if you should go with TWC? LOL did you think I was gonna say no?

Addressing your issues, your signal strength of -6 dBmV, wouldn't be causing you any problems. The bigger question would be directed back at Panasonic since RCN clearly stated not their problem. Most manufacturer's have contact information with cable companies, in order to better support technical problems encountered with the CC technology. I would see if they can contact RCN and see if somebody can tell them if they are not passing the VBI data through. It might be more of a FCC issue if they are not, but I don't know for certain since our system passes data, I've never had to deal with it not working. The easier option is to put it back on Panasonic, since you bought their TV with the features that made it more attractive to you, I would let them figure out why it's not doing what it's designed to do. Of course you could always join the TWC family and not have to call anybody about it since it would be working!

Both of you guys please keep us posted to any updates, we all learn from your problems. Thank you

Username: Peteyhdtv

Belleville, NJ

Post Number: 2
Thanks Cableguy. I was referring to unplugging (once the cooling fan stops) and plugging back in the power cord, not the CC. Thanks for the feedback!

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 295
Your welcome, thanks for clarifying... I guess I should have read more into the "unplug" relating to the power. Regardless, reset works best :-)

newbie123
Unregistered guest
I gave in. The Cox tech came to fix my CC problem and determined the CC was defective but he did not have a replacement. The local Cox office does not carry CCs for some reason and he did not know why. He offered to come back the next day with another CC card but I just could not wait at home for yet another appointment.

I am a TiVo fan. Had one for little over a year now and love it. So... I gave in and had the tech install a HVDVR. Besides, I just could not stand the idea of having to wait for yet another appointment eachtime the CC experiences any problems (really need 2-way comms).

Thanks for all your advise but my DVR lust and the promise of a trouble free HDTV won at the end.

One question, will a HDMI connection improve the picture quality? I'm currently using the standard component connction. Thanks.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 296
newbie, so sorry to hear they couldn't correct your problem. As far as your question about HDMI vs Component...I've seen a lot of good arguments concerning this, personally I don't notice any huge difference in the PQ when using either or. What I do notice is the digital audio passing straight to the TV with the HDMI gives you better sound quality from the TV. However, if you are connecting to a surround sound system with optical or coaxial digital audio connections, you won't hear what the TV is doing anyway.

My personal opinion is get that cable card working! Best regards, and I'll be here if you ever get connected again. Thanks for all your information, we learned from and I thank you.

props
Unregistered guest
I got scammed by RCN Manhattan with the CC request. Apparently by getting a CC, and hence removing the HD cable box, I lost my original sign-up price for the cable/internet package I get (Of course no one mentioned this when I first called to request a CC). New bill came almost double the price as everything was charged "a la carte".

I have to now add back, and pay for a cable box, in order to get my original monthly bill price, plus pay for the CC. Plus, they wanted me to pay for a service visit fee to deliver back to me the cable box I'm not going to use. I find this practice unethical and illegal, as a means of punishing those that try to get a CC.

Do I have any grounds to file something with the FCC against them? Anyone else experience this kind of pricing practice with their cable provider?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 302
Never heard of it, but you can answer the question by contacting your local cable commission and or the FCC.

DaveyWavey
Unregistered guest
We recently bought a Toshiba 46HM95 HD DLP TV with cable card option. Time Warner came to install CC and everything worked great the first day. Beginning day 2 we are receiving an error message:

CableCard Connected -- Acquiring channel information.

This message won't go away and it's preventing us from even switching channels now. If we take the card out we can get basic cable and everything works. The only thing that may have changed is the TV Guide onscreen guide was set up and would have tried to get the channel lineup during the night when the TV was off. The tech speculates there's a conflict with the TV Guide function?

Time Warner sent out a tech and he was stumped. He insists everything is set up properly and should be working. The CableCard diagnostic screen gives me the only clue that something may be amiss, it says "RF IP addr: None yet..." This implies the ddevice needs to be assigned an IP address to work properly?

If anyone can shed any light on my dilemma I'd be eternally grateful. I need to troubleshoot this myself now so any specific info I can get I'll relay to Time Warner so I can get this thing running again.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 305
Dave,
The RF IP address means nothing. Since the system is currently only allowing 1-way access you will not see any information in the IP section. Once they work out the details on two-way, customers that have a two-way compliant system will have an IP address. As far as your TV displaying the "Acquiring Channel information" I would highly recommend you contact Toshiba and verify what version of software is on your TV set. I've seen this issue with a different brand that was corrected by updating the software. This isn't saying your's being caused by the same thing, but it never hurts to check with the manufacturer. Keep us posted please, and welcome to the thread!

DaveyWavey
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info, cableguy.

Over the weekend we pulled the card so we could at least get basic and local stations. After we did this the TV Guide was finally able to synch up and provide a listing. Since some progress was made we were feeling lucky and put the card back in. TV Guide wiped out the listing and tells us it's waiting to update itself based on the new configuration. Okay. But at least it's not locking us into channel 3 now. It appears to be working okay although our pay channels are still missing, so in a sense it seems to be ignoring the card altogether. Wierd.

Thanks again for the info. I'll try contacting Toshiba today and I'll update you.

UH2
Unregistered guest
DaveyWavey:

I am having a similar issue with my Toshiba 52HMX94. The CC worked great for the first two weeks, although the TVGOS refused to get a channel listing. Once I added an external antenna to ANT 2, I received a channel listing, but no program information. It was at this point that I started to lose audio on the majority of my channels. If I do a complete reset to defaults on the TV, the audio comes back. But once TVGOS updates anything, I lose audio again. I have a call into TVGOS, and placing ANOTHER call into Toshiba.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
DaveyWavey,
Make sure you have at least 1.5.0 firmware as there was some issues with the cable cards and Toshiba integrated sets related to not acquiring channels or missing digital channels. Toshiba can send you the latest via SD card, which is 1.5.2.

LCN
Unregistered guest
I had a similar problem with TVOGS on my Panasonic 50px500u (see earlier post). Once I upgraded the firmware from 1.6 to 1.62 it's been fine. Upgrade can be found at http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.com/SpecialApplications/ProductFirmwareDownloa ds/downloads1.asp (you will need an SD card) or by requesting it to be sent you you from Panasonic.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
"I had a similar problem with TVOGS on my Panasonic 50px500u (see earlier post). Once I upgraded the firmware from 1.6 to 1.62 it's been fine. Upgrade can be found at http://www.pasctraining.panasonic.com/SpecialApplications/ProductFirmwareDownloa ds/downloads1.asp (you will need an SD card) or by requesting it to be sent you from Panasonic."

"LCN" I have saved the firmware upgrade for my 50PX50U to an SD Memory Card that was formatted using Panasonic's SD format utility. Before I attempt the upgrade I have a couple of questions to ask:

Per Panasonic's instructions, after the firmware copy is complete:

(1) Please remove the SD card from the TV.
(2) Please disconnect the power cable from the wall outlet.
(3) Please reconnect the power cable to the wall outlet.

Shouldn't the TV be powered off before disconnecting the power cable from the wall outlet?

Panasonic states that for the TH-50PX50U with (Original firmware version 1.21) the SDDL.SEC (3.3MB) file encompasses Digital Tuner Firmware version 1.24 and addresses these fixes:

- CableCARD firmware upgrade message with SA CableCARD

- Blank picture or frozen image after the TV is switched-on when viewing premium channels with Motorola CableCARD

The same fix description is used for the PX500U firmware upgrade. Your post indicates the firmware upgrade resolved a TVGOS problem you were experiencing, which implies Panasonic's firmware upgrade addresses more than what is briefly described on their firmware download site. Can you point me to another URL that describes in detail what bugs this firmware upgrade is designed to resolve? Also, how do I check the current firmware for my PX50U? I'm assuming my TV is using version 1.21 since it has an Osaka April 2005 build date.

Anonymous

Having cablecard problems with Motorola CC and Panasonic 42PX50U. Sporadically get a message that says 'channel pairing information not available' on a gray screen. This is usually followed by a 'channel unavailable' indication, but sometimes the picture returns. This behavior only happens on digital or pay channels.
The cable provider is Cox in Southern California.

When this happens, the TV is unresponsive to commands from the remote. Additioanlly, the error message gets displayed when using other inputs of the TV (i.e. component in).

Ideas?

I'm gonna go look on the Pansonic site too.

Thanks,

=Steve=

Jeremy 0415
Unregistered guest
I have the new Sony 55" A20 with a cable card and have not had any problems. My only complaint is that I don't get any program information. So I have to resort to tv guide
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us