Splitter Recommendations

Karl A.
Unregistered guest
I am looking for splitter recommendations. I want to split the line 4 ways: HDTV cable box, cable modem, TIVO and the TV tuner (for PIP). I have tried the "high end" splitters from Home Depot and they just don't work.

From reading different threads it appears as though I should split the Cable Modem first and then further split the rest. I used the splitter provided by Comcast ... that works fine for the Cable Modem ... but the split after that affects the quality of the HDTV signal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

fx
Unregistered guest
but the split after that affects the quality of the HDTV signal.

You are correct, it is due to the law of the conservation of energy. A passive splitter does just that, it splits the signal strength. If you are now using a 3 way splitter look at the numbers next to the output terminals. They will look something like 3.5----7.5----7.5. This is the DB decrease from each specific leg of the splitter. A 3DB decrease indicates a 50% lower signal strength than the original.

xvxvxvx

John Denkman
Unregistered guest
Karl A.,
I am no expert, but cableguy helped me out. I was told I needed a #9 tap (which looks like a splitter) to my modem to give more strength to the tvs after the modem. The above post by fx explains why I was having a problem, basically each splitter cuts the signal in half and not enough to go around. Cableguy informed ebay has this tap for under $6 and it worked for me. Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us