Samsung Lamp Compatability Question

Username: Jaskim

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone

I have an Akai PT50DL14 DLP tv from Costco. Every research I have done suggests this is the exact same model as the Samsung HLR-5067W.

The lamp specified on the tv is BP96-01394A, however, the lamps specified for the SAmsung are BP96-00826A and BP96-01073A. The Akai lamp is $360, the samsung lamps are $199. (samsung has the akai and the samsung lamps both for sale)

I kinda suspect there is some markeking relabeling going on here. (just as how they relabled the samsung as an Akai). I strongly suspect that there is an equivalent samsung lamp that is compatible with my TV that is for less.

Does any one know how I can research the detailed specifications of these bulbs to see which if any of these samsung bulb (or any other) would be compatible with my tv??

On samsungparts.com, they show BP96-01073A with the following specs: L6, L8(L620, L680), ~ 61 inch.

For the BP96-01394A, the specs are as follows: L620, OSRAM 120W, E22, 50L4(Akai)

Even though they are similar, I am not sure what the L620 means

My lamp is still functional but if I can sort this out from now that would be great.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

jaskim

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 543
What you have to watch out for is the ballast voltage needed to fire the mercury gas to a plasma state and what operating voltage the lamp needs after that process. The ballast must match the lamp. The lamp must also match the proprietary housing in your set. You mention the 826A Phillips, which is a round enclosed style UHP mercury lamp that requires 5kv to fire and 65v at 2 amps to operate continuously. The 01073A Phillips is a square fronted vented lamp design that doesn't fit into housings for the round style. Some lamps require up to 20kv to fire. I don't know much about Osram, other than hearing about one exploding and showering glass throughout the inside of the set.
You're playing with fire, glass grenades, and deadly gases if you don't consider all aspects.

http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/philips/PhilipsUHPLamps.html

Post Number: 2
I hear what you are saying and I heed your warning. Basically I need to make sure that there is an exact Samsung match before I start popping in replacements.

Two quick question, is Osram the company that makes the bulb?

and secondly, where can I find these specs for these bulbs? Would the patent office or some website list these specs that I have to match??

Thanks again for your insights. Btw, I have read your other posts on the board on similar questions and was hoping that you would respond to mine. Thanks for response and the warning.

jaskim

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 549
I wouldn't even investigate Osram, which is another lamp entirely, unless you are forced to.

The Phillips lamps and ballasts are available from Samsungparts.com and are made in Belgium and China.

This link deals with a swap kit for early HLN Samsungs that had Toshiba parts. It deals with the round enclosed Phillips design as a replacement.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/186132.html

Of course, knowing the voltage and amperage requirements of your existing ballast and it's respective outputs to the lamp would be critical in any retrofit. I'm no expert in specs or where to get them. I got the Phillips specs from the Phillips link I provided.

Post Number: 3
The only reason I was considering investigating osram is to be able to find out its specs. After all this is the one recommended for the Akai so I am thinking this is at least a good place to start. Does this make sense?

where would I find out my existing ballast and it's respective outputs to the lamp?

jaskim

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 551
I have no idea!
Good luck!

Post Number: 6
FYI, you stated the following "I don't know much about Osram, other than hearing about one exploding and showering glass throughout the inside of the set. "

I took out the OSRAM lamp because I wanted to get as much info off it as posssible and something immediatelely came to my attention. It has two vents on the sides. If the lamp was to explode, it doesnt seem like the glass would escape directly without making some curves through the vents but it definetely can happen.

Before this tv, I had a Panasonic and the bulb was completely enclosed. IN fact a couple of them did explode but they were sealed so there was no glass pieces to worry about.

In my lay opinion it would seem that the OSRAM bulb would do a better job dissipating the heat. However, if it fails, you may have a clean up job.

jaskim

Unregistered guest
If your lamp blew already isn't it under warranty this is a brand new model. they just started selling it in costco

Post Number: 10
It did not blow. but I would like a extra one for when it does

jaskim

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
FYI, I came acrooss another poster who has the same tv who stated

"i bought the akai from costco (PT50DL14) with stand and the label on the right side of the TV says the replacement lamp code is BP96-01073A
which is the same as Samsungs."

How is it possible that they have assigned two different lamps for one tv? One seem to be Osram and the other Philips. Does this necessarily indicates that the specs are the same on the lamps??

jasguild

aaaaaaaaaaa
Unregistered guest
how often do you need to change these lamps?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 561
jas,

It's not uncommon that a model would have two separate lamp/ballast combinations or even two separate light engines. The availability of components for a particular run would dictate what was used. I would think the lumens or wattage would be one similar spec. I'm not sure about other similarities.

aaa...,

Since we are talking about light bulbs I would have to say as often as required. The Phillips lamps are lasting longer and seem to meet or exceed the 4000 to 6000 hour rating. Lots of factors affect lamp life. Proper cool down, ventilation, on/off cycles, and keeping dust accumulation off the fans are a few.

Username: Wcurtis

Hazel Green, Alabama

Post Number: 1
jas kim,

I also just bought the Akai PT50DL14 DLP tv from Costco on sale for 1500 and started searching the net for info and it brought me here. How do you like the system so far? Have you been able to contact Akai yet? I am waiting to see if I can find out more info before using it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Bill its a great TV expecially for the price. ON standard def it is so so but HD and even dvd's it is stellar. I also have my computer hooked up via hdmi with little or no overscan issues. I am using the cable card option which works great with brighthouse (timewarner)

Maybe you should ask me specific question as I dont know what exactly you are interested in.

jaskim

Username: Wcurtis

Hazel Green, Alabama

Post Number: 2
There was no real specific question, just wondering if you had any contact w/ Akai. I have not. Good news is that I have hooked it up to STD cable, an HD antenna, and a DVD player. The DVD and HD are GREAT!!! The STD cable looks a little worst on this set vs my old 32" tube, but I expected that. I do not like the fact that I have to switch between the cable input and the HD antenna input though.

Overall, so far this tv rocks. Got the Optical Audio going into Sony Receiver and it kicks!

Bill

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Bill Curtis

You said you dont like the fact of having to switch between cable input and HD antenna input. I dont know if I have ever seen an alternative. If you have please enlighten me.

jaskim

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 579
I thought cable operators provided the off-air local digital networks. They do in Dallas!

It's sat providers that don't have them...yet!
Basic sat subscribers need the seperate HD antenna input. HD sat subscribers can connect their HD antenna to the sat box to integrate the off-air with the DTV channels on the same input.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
FYI

The cable providers do provide some of the off air local channel. However there are others, like UPN, WB and a couple others that they dont carry. THey do carry NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox.

jaskim

jay James
Unregistered guest
Does this have an analog tuner also? when you say that it looks not so good in SD what do you mean. I currently have a Mitsubishi 50 inch rear project (CRT). Will it look worse in SD mode? Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have an akai tv that I bought at sam's and I didn't know how to hook up my computer to. I found the port but didn't know which input I should put it on.

Unregistered guest
I have an akai tv that I bought at sam's and I didn't know how to hook up my computer. I found the port but didn't know which input I should put it on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us