Dead pixels...check before you bring home

Bronze Member
Username: Highgear

CT. #1

Post Number: 12
I have two pixels that are dead.....or I should say stuck on red on my new Panasonic plasma. I did a google search on the subject and was shocked at what I found. Some manufacturers will not acknoledge this is a problem unless many pixels are out. Below is something I pulled off the web.

Manufacturer's General Warranties and Dead Pixels Policies

Generally warranties on plasma display panels vary from one to five years (depending on brand and model), and most exclude:

Dead Pixels - unless there's more of them than the manufacturer deems acceptable

Burn-in

Heat-related problems

When it comes to the dead pixels issue, return policies from manufacturers vary depending on the actual number of bad pixels and their placement. The presence of bad pixels does not automatically qualify a unit as defective, but the unit may always be returned to the manufacturer for evaluation. Every occurrence is most often treated on a case by case basis.

The number of dead pixels that'll be covered by the warranty isn't always stated, and varies between manufactures. Some warranties are vague in this respect, using phrases like "within normal commercial tolerance" to describe pixel failure.

One of the major manufactures of plasma displays - PANASONIC - considers a failure rate up to 0.002% acceptable. This may sound reasonable at first glance, but if you have a 1024 x 780 resolution screen there's a total of 786,432 pixels on the screen. This means that according to the PANASONIC warranty, 15 of them can fail before the company will do anything about it. Depending on where they are, this could be enough to be noticeable.

One may assume that other manufactures allow for similar tolerances before replacing a display panel. Our suggestion is that you should get informed before you buy - it is important that you get an understanding of the manufacturer's pixel policy before you buy a plasma screen to avoid disappointment later.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4101
that sux
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us