Best DVDRs to record onto??

Bronze Member
Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 81
I understand that DVDs are like CDRs where players can be particular on brands of media used in burning videos. I just ordered the Panasonic DMR-EH50S and first plan of action is plugging in my Sony 8MM camcorder and putting years of family taping onto DVDs. I would like the absolutely "Best" quality I can get since I will use these as the "masters" for future watching and editing later plus I would like these DVDs to be compatible on most DVD players. Also for the everyday recording of TV programming which is the best DVDRWs I should use? Thank you all in advance for your advice!!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2058
Taiyo Yuden, you can get them from Supermediastore, Shop4Tech, Meritline. Stay away from 16x discs with a standalone.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
David Massey,
"Stay away from 16x discs with a standalone."

You mean these will not play on our older JVC XV-S60 DVD Player??

Gold Member

Post Number: 2065
16x discs aren't very compatible with standalone recorders, they may or may not burn them. No standalone will burn at 16x anyway, so you are paying more for discs that you don't need.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Ahh thanks David,
would it be smarter to burn at a slower rate then the DMR-EH50S can do at max. Not sure if that made any sense lol, but say the Panny burns at 8x max I would be smarter to burn at say 4x or 6x since time is really not a factor in waiting for it to finish and it would be more acceptable on other players?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2069
I don't know about standalones, but a PC burner with good quality discs generally burns better at the disc rated speed.

spartan
Unregistered guest
I have an EH50S also and have so far burned 300+ discs. I have gone through several brands before settling with Memorex. From my experience,
Maxell DVD-R 8x: 80% success rate
Maxell DVD+R 8x: 50% success rate
Home Depot DVD-R 8x: 75% success rate
TDK DVD-R 8x: 80% success rate
Great Quality (Fry's) DVD-R 8x: 75% success rate
Memorex 8x/16x: 100% success rate

I will say that I am also impressed with the construction quality of the Memorex discs, which probably adds to their reliability during burning. I have stayed away from DVD+R format since my experience with the Maxells DVD+R's. I've burned several Nexxtech brand DVD+R discs for a friend and they all turned out ok, but just to be safe I decided to go with DVD-R format for my masters. The Maxell DVD-R's burned decent at first but construction quality was sketchy (dye issues). The Home Depot DVD-R's were also sketchy at best, with lots of dye issues as well. Great Quality is a misleading brand name, it's construction quality was sketchy and I use my remaining stock only to make copies that I give away to friends. As for the TDK's I was happy up to the point where I lost 100% burning reliability. Visually the TDKs look top notch in construction quality, and may very well be, but after several imperfect discs I decided not to stick with it as my master brand. I tried out Memorex and have been happy with these discs since. They burn perfect (at least for me) everytime. So for now, I'm sticking with Memorex for making masters. The brands I have yet to test are Fuji, Imation and Verbatim. If the Memorex doesn't work out then I will probably try the Fuji's next, I was always happy with their CD-Rs in the past. From my past experience with Sony CD-R's (flaking surface) I didn't even bother looking at their DVD-R offerings.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2071
Memorex doesn't make their own discs, sometimes they are good and sometimes they aren't. If you're lucky enough to get Prodiscs, they are good discs.

Caren Lee
Unregistered guest
I find that with a TIVO built-in dvr recorder, that Memorex burns best.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us