Are widescreen or standard dvd's better for hdtv?

Bigarms
Unregistered guest
Most DVD's come in standard format and widescreen format, but which format is better for HDTV. I have a 42" LCD Sony WEGA and it seems as if you get the whole screen filled with standard DVD's (w/out zoom) and there are still horizontal (letterbox) bars on the widescreen dvd's. I would think that widescreens would be better and put into 16:9 to fill up the entire screen, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2054
Whichever ratio your TV is would be better. You're supposed to limit anything with black bars to no more than 15% of your weekly veiwing.

Unregistered guest
I have the same problem. I have the 42" LCD Sony WEGA. I set my Sony DVD player to "16:9/4:3 Widescreen" setting. However, when I watch a DVD on the "Wide Zoom" setting, I get about 1" of black bar on the top & bottom of the picture. If I watch a DVD on the "Full" setting, I get about 2" of black bars on the top & bottom of the picture. Does anyone have any advice?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2096
2.35:1 movies won't fill the screen on any TV. If you have a 16:9 TV, 1.85:1 movies should fill the screen.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us