2 Questions on old VCR

Username: Peter_s

Post Number: 1
Hi, I have a "vintage" RCA-VBT200 from 1977. (Some say it was the first VCR.) Yes, I know its old but I have not had any problems with it. It is built like a tank and must weigh at least 50 pounds. I was just wondering how often I should clean the heads. I think we only did it once or twice but the picture is still OK. Is it bad not to clean the heads for a long period of time? Also, the ejecting is a little sticky sometimes. It is a top-loader obviously. Is there any kind of lubricant I can use? Once again the manufacturing date is Nov. 1977 and there was never any work done on it. Everything else works fine though. Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2019
Scrap it and get a new one. The picture quality on those old VCRs was pathetic. If the heads are still good, it's a miracle.

Username: Peter_s

Post Number: 2
Thanks but I wasn't asking on advice on getting a new VCR. This one works just fine. Your somewhat right about the picture quality-it is obviously not as good as DVD's but it is definitely not pathetic! My friend just bought a new Panasonic VCR and I didn't see that much of a difference. And I bet if I bought a brand new VCR today it wouldn't last 28 years without repairs.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2023
Panasonic VCRs have never had good picture quality and still don't. Your RCA is a Panasonic.

vcr
Unregistered guest
Hi!
It is not a problem not to clean the heads too often. Usually they are manufactured with a sort of auto-cleaning, but cleaning them once in a while it's not bad. You should NOT try the Q-tip method because you could break the heads
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us