How to watch different program than one recording

helpwithdvr
Unregistered guest
I have a new Sony RDR-HX900 and I can't seem to watch a different program while recording something on a different channel. I end up with a recording that shows precisely when I changed channels. In the manual it says to watch a different program than the one you are recording, press TV/video to change the input to TV. Several lines later it says you cannot watch a different TV program than the one you are recording! Has anyone managed to resolve this issue who could share the how tos with me? Many thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2018
Change channels on the TV, not the recorder.

Username: Nancy

Nebraska

Post Number: 3
I'm in the same boat helpwithdvr, they say to change channels on the TV well duh, I do that and it wont let me. The remotes are different, we know which one to use right. Well we both are still having that problem and we still cant do anything. I know what you mean, but still need help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2022
You have to change the TV from line to tuner, then change channels on the TV.

Username: Nancy

Nebraska

Post Number: 4
I'm lost, dont know about helpwithdvd?

helpwithdvr
Unregistered guest
I am glad to hear it can be done! Unfortunately I still can't get it to work myself. I tried pushing the TV/video button on the TV Guide remote (as it says to do in the Sony guide) to no avail. I also tried changing channels with that remote while recording, but it says operation cannot be performed while recording. Then I tried changing the input using my cable box remote. I changed it from video 1 which the DVR operates on to TV, and then changed the channel on my cable box. Unfortunately the exact moment I changed the channel appears on my recording! David, if you have any ideas or can clarify for me I would greatly appreciate it!! Many thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2030
If you are using a box, you can't watch and record at the same time, unless the channel you want to watch is analog. Unless the box is digital, you don't need it. Split the incoming cable to the box and the recorder, then from the recorder to the TV. If you want to be able to watch the box without having the recorder on, connect the box to the TV with RCAs or s-video, if it has 2 outputs, if not, you can use an A/B switch. For recording analog channels, use the recorder's tuner, for digital channels use the box. After starting the recording from the box, you'll be able to watch analog channels with the TV tuner.

Username: Justineve9

Post Number: 5
so if i hook up my cable box to my tv with s-video i can record any of the digital channels well i'm watch another one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us