Just bought a new digimate 32"

Username: Bunsen

Post Number: 2
Hi there,
I just picked up a digimate dgl3201; it's a great TV and at the price I payed it's an incredible value. Great picture and lots of connections; except it doesnt have a DVI input which is a minus. I hooked it up to my PC through the 15 pin d sub and it looked pretty good; only problem is i wonder if anyone knows where i can find drivers for windows as the text isn't perfect (some letters in focus some out of focus). I had this problem with my normal lcd monitor until i installed the drivers that came with it (LG)
Anyone else have any experience with Digimate?

Username: Rsole

Post Number: 1
Just joined this forum so that I could respond. I also bought this Digimate DGL3201 TV at FutureShop on boxing day for $899 Cdn. Great picture, but only on S-video hookup. The component hookup picture is blue (no red signal)The manual says to go into the set up menu and select "component or rgb" but there is no such selection that I can find. Only a "source" buttun and one scrolls through vga,s-video, PbPg, etc and it doesn't fix the problem. The same model in the store had a completely different on-screen menu. The "sales associate" explained that Digimate is a Chinese company that slapped together a bunch of lcd screens and motherboards, etc and sold them as-is, no website, no support!

The bottom line may be that we would have to open the unit and get the p/n of the mainboard to get any drivers from a company that uses the same board. I hope this help and if someone finds more info, let us know, thanks.

Username: Rsole

Post Number: 3
..more on the Digimate 32" DGL3201 LCD HDTV
Same model in the store, totally different on-screen menu, so I assume that they've used different mainboards and/or firmware on the same model TV.

Unregistered guest
Strange about the different on-screen menu between the one you have and the one in the store. Is it possible that they showed you the wrong TV?

Future Shop here in NE Calgary did that to me. I asked to see the TV before I bought it so they pointed to one on display, which was a DGL32 (not DGL3201, which seems to be a newer model with slightly higher resolution). One big difference between the two models is that the DGL32 HAS A DVI input. Oddly enough, the importer (EMI Global)says that the DVI only works with computers and not with HD tuners that have DVI outs (sees very unlikely to me!).

I complained bitterly to EMI Global that a LCD television, which is digital, ought to have a digital input (either DVI or HDMI). Note that even the VGA input is an analog format. Basically the salesman at Future Shop told me that id did have a DVI, showing me the DGL32 (I guess he was confused, not realizing there is a difference).

If you note on the warranty card, there is a US distributor which handles all support issues:

http://www.emiglobal.com/

I encourage you all to write to the support email address ( support@emiglobal.com ) and ask for a VGA driver for this TV so we can use it in its native resolution. I have done this but I am only one person. No way they can ignore the request if there are dozens of people asking!

Other than that, I think it is a great TV - very nice picture and not at all blocky and pixelated like the DGL32 on display at the local Future Shop.

Greg

Post Number: 6
I believe that the dgl32 has the same resolution as the dgl3201... and yes they seem to be pretty mixed up at future shop between the two; for example a few days after boxing day, i saw a dgl32 (which is more expensive) that was returned and it had the same price as the dgl3201.
I called EMI global and emailed them about drivers for my computer, i got a call back saying they dont have drivers for this but rather i should make sure my video card drivers are up to date... which they are so this of course does not solve my problem

Robert Sole, i was having problems figuring out why i had a purplish color on my dvd's... was trying to figure out that bit on changing the source to rgb; anyways, long story short, that setting is on your dvd player, not on the tv. I wish it was a bit more clear in the manual though.

Unregistered guest
According to Future Shop's website, the DGL32 has a resolution of 1280x768 whereas the DGL3201 is 1366X768. If you look on the emiglobal website, the DGL32 has two separate resolutions listed (in summary it lists a resolution of 1366X768 for the television, but only 1280X768 for the LCD panel in the details). Strange... The picture quality of the DGL32 at Future Shop seemed much worse than the DGL3201, so it would seem that the latter has had some "enhancements". During Boxing Week, the DGL3201 was shown as having a regular price $100 more than the DGL32 ($1499 vs. $1399 IIRC), but now the DGL3201 has dropped below the DGL32 ($1099 vs. $1299). My best guess is that the DGL3201 is the newer model, hence the addition of the "01" to the model number. Who knows though... Emiglobal sent me a nice spec PDF for the DGL3201, but I am unable to attach it in this forum (1KB limit). Perhaps if I create an account I will have a larger limit.

One possible solution for drivers is to custom-make a driver with a program called Powerstrip:
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm
(free 30 day evaluation, I believe)

I tried this last night and got the television to work in its native resolution of 1366X768, however I had to override the default modes of the video card to do this. The down side to this was that Direct X doesn't support that resolution but the program I was trying to run (Mediaportal - which is free HTPC software) suggests that I download the full Direct X SDK to get additional resolution support. If I have time tonight, I will try that.

One odd thing that came up with Powerstrip is that the information it lists as coming from the plug and play (communication with the TV, I guess), is that it has a resolution of 1368X768 (not 1366), so which is in error? Having seen 1366 listed several times, I have to believe that the firmware in the television has a typo in it... (ughh... seems like we might need a firmware update! How do you do that to a TV???)

If you have any success - please report it in this forum so we all can try it! I will do so as well. If I am able to create a fully working driver with Powerstrip, I will be sure to offer it to everyone.

Greg

Post Number: 7
Hi,
EMI global just returned my email...

I wrote:
When hooked up to my PC, it works fine, however, when looking at text (such as this email), some letters are out of focus while some letters are in focus; I had this problem with my regular computer monitor but since that one has drivers for it, it fixes the problem itself after a few seconds (some sort of auto adjust feature). The auto setting feature through the PC menu does nothing to fix this, also I cannot run one of my games (Battlefield 2), it is telling me that my display device drivers are not good which seems to make perfect sense to me. Can you please let me know where I can find drivers for this model or suggest something to fix this.

They replied:
Sometimes when you are dealing with video cards you may have to update the drivers in the video card. There are no drivers for this tv. Look to the manufacturer of the video card for updated drivers.

Strange, don't all computer monitors come with drivers? I realize this is a TV but since it is equipped with the computer hook up to me it is just as much a computer monitor.

Username: Greg_gall

Calgary, AB Canada

Almost all monitors have drivers, however some do work as a "Plug And Play" device. My understanding is that as a plug ang play device the television actually communicates with the computer by way of the DDC line, instructing the computer as to what modes it supports. If someone can correct me on this - please do so.

It appears that the DGL3201 is communicating with the computer since it does detect it as a Plug And Play monitor and it appears to be informing your computer of the valid modes it supports. Oddly enough, PowerStrip seems to indicate that the DGL3201 wants to support 1368X768 resolution, which doesn't match the panel's resolution of 1366X768. I have emailed EMI global to see if they know why the descrepency.

I believe what EMI Global is trying to tell us is that the DGL3201 doesn't require a driver because it is a true Plug And Play device and if you can't set the proper resolution, it is probably the fault of the video card. An older card probably hasn't had much work done to it to make sure that it works with newer LCD displays. Perhaps a new video card might automatically offer the correct resolutions?

The reason why some lines in the text appear blurry is that an LCD monitor or TV is only truly one resolution, in this case 1366X768. For it to display any other resolution, it must "stretch" or compress the image to match the display's resolution. If the resolution of the two is close enough, you will only see the occasional blurry line (probably what you are seeing).

Of course you are always going to have the best picture when you have the same resolution source as the display. ie. try to get your computer to display in 1366X768 mode.

I believe that my video card is what is causing the problem in that the driver has not been designed to work at 1366X768 (a rare resolution only found on newer widescreen displays).

Greg

vincett
Unregistered guest
Hooked up to my laptop using VGA and it looked fantastic.

Basically plug and play.

Havent tried any games yet through VGA but Xbox360 looks great on it.

And component does work, just plug and press source till it gets to component. If thats not working for you, either you have hooked it up wrong of your unit is defective.

Post Number: 8
thanks for the info greg, I checked my video driver (ATI catalyst, the most recent version) and it only supports 1360x768; so i am guessing that this is my problem. Thanks

Username: Greg_gall

Calgary, AB Canada

I have some progress to report - I changed video cards to a newer ATI card and now I can support 1368X768.

Still no support for the TV's actual resolution of 1366X768, but at 1368 the image is almost perfect.

I still believe that there is a typo in the television's firmware that causes it to misreport its resolution. Using PowerStrip you can view what the television reports through Plug and Play and it says 1368X768.

I will probably spend some more time with PowerStrip to finish making a custom driver. Unfortunately you would have to force your computer to use the custom driver as it will always auto-detect a Plug And Play monitor.

BTW, EMI Global replied to my email saying that the firmware on the television is not user-upgradeable.

Greg

Username: Klayymann

i also have a story, we picked up a DGL32 at future shop early december, once turned on the picture was normal for 1/2 hr then it would go into what i could only describe as "negative mode", the s-video was also loose in the back, we exchanged it with a new one, and havent had any troubles since, it is a geat value LCD, can anyone provide the universal remote # for this LCD??

Saint Ronin
Unregistered guest
Greg:
In reference to your comment in an early ost re: DVI not being supported by DVD players, tuners , etc... It would make sense that any HDCP content would not be playable via the DVI connection. High Definition Content Protection or something like that is designed to limit digital signals (the component is analog) from being sent over unprotected (copyrightwise) full blown digital connections. I have a 24" Dell LCD monitor that will not play DVD's via DVI input for this very reason. FYI there are some DVD players out there that DO NOT have HDCP built-in and a player like that should work via DVI where others would not. I don't know a lot about all this business, but that would be my best guess.
Saint Ronin

Unregistered guest
I bought one Digimate 32" HD Ready LCD TV from the Future Shop. When we watched the HD channels,the images from all HD channels are downsized (smaller), but no problem for other regular digital Channels. Does anyone know how to solve that problem? Thanks in advance!

Username: Klayymann

the auto scan for bell expressvu remote eventually worked. emiglobal suport was useless.

Post Number: 10
i guess you didnt get the code for a universal remote in the end did ya?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i guess you didnt get the code for a universal remote in the end did you?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us