Is a DVD recorder and DVR the same thing?

Username: Nancy

Nebraska

Post Number: 2
This is added to my other post,

Confused about this I want to replace my VCR with a DVD recorder, I bought a DVD recorder ILO TECH Model
dvdr05, set it up to record a program on tv, when it started to record, It wouldnt let me change the channel to watch another program. had to stay on the channel being recorded.

I thought if they are replacing VCR's with DVD recorders, why dont they let you watch another channel like VCR's do?

help!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2012
You change channels on the TV, not the recorder. It's the same way with a VCR. You don't start recording a channel, then change channels on the VCR.

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
They do unless your DVD recorder does not have a built in tuner.

Nebraska

Post Number: 5
How do you know if it has a built in tuner?

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
First, check the manual. If it talks about setting up or your programming channels, it has a built in tuner. You could also look at the front panel and or remote. If they have channel selection and /or surfing functions, it's a good bet your unit has a tuner.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2031
All DVD recorders have a tuner.

Nebraska

Post Number: 6
is does but when scheduling a recording and starting to watch a program and the recorder starts it says preparing to record then starts to record. The tv automatically stays on the channel it is recording even when i change the channel on the tv remote the tv is snowy like we lost the cable. Is there another cord needed for our cable? There is one there already.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2039
You need to tell what you are recording from and how everything is connected.

Nebraska

Post Number: 7
I'm recording from DVD tuner by just pushing record .Not scheduling a recording this time. It's all connected thru a RF modulator because our tv is an older big console tv. The modulator is a phillips and has 5 places for connecting on the back. Ok now I'm thinking I'm wasting your time and mine on this stupid thing and just go back to my reliable vcr where you can just push TV/VCR to play regular tv when recording! I have everyone confused now, even my husband is in on it now, and he's a great mechanic and cant figure it out. What about just forgeting it and returning this &^%$ thing?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2040
The problem is the modulator. If it senses a signal from the line inputs it switches to line and the coax input won't work. As long as the recorder is on, it's going to send a signal out the line output. Get an A/B switch. Connect the modulator to one input and the DVD coax output to the other.

Nebraska

Post Number: 8
Thanks maybe there's hope yet.

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
I've seen some cheap ones advertised on some of the home shopping channels without tuners. Maybe they didn't know the merchandise.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us