RCA HD50LPW62 - Pros/Cons?

Username: Percysj

Dallas, TX US

Post Number: 2
My Hitachi just crapped out and I'm (unwillingly) in the market for a new HDTV and I don't have the $2500 to spend on a Samsung or other "better" brand. I can get this HDTV, with the custom stand, at my local Walmart for $1697 +tax. The only thing is, all the information I'm finding on it is extremely vague and I can't find any reviews on it!

Here are some questions I'm hoping someone can answer:
1) The obvious question; Is this HDTV worth it's price?

2) How does it compare to the same size Samsung(s) that cost nearly $1000 more?

3) What is this HDTV's contrast ratio? RCA's site says it has "Twice the Contrast of Other Display Technologies". Is it going to atleast have 2500:1?

4) Which Texas Instruments DLP chip does it use? RCA's site says "DLP (Digital Light Processing) Light Engine - Latest DLP Technology". The "latest DLP technology" is either the HD2+ or the HD4...which does it have?

5) What about the color wheel? Does it have a fast spinning, 7 segment wheel like the Samsungs? If not, what does it have?

The thing that worries me most is that not even RCA knows the answers to these questions. These (I think) are important factors when considering the purchase of a DLP and none of them are listed!? So, if anyone know the answers, PLEASE let me know...I only have through this weekend to get it at this price!!

Here's the link to RCA's site:
http://tv.rca.com/en-US/ModelDetail.html?MN=HD50LPW62&nav=BySize&PC=BySizeLarge]HD50LPW62

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Hi PercySJ, I can answer your questions. I'm up front and honest, so I'll tell you that I work in Product Development for RCA.

1. We are quite proud of our current DLP models, because we believe we have just as good a picture at a much better price than the competition. The HD50LPW62 is a model just for Wal-Mart and it is a great value, because other retailers have larger profit margins. We also have a 44" version (HD44LPW62) at Target.

2. I have seen most competitive sets side-by-side, and some leave much to be desired. Samsung is a nice set but they use a lot of smoothing and filtering that removes a lot of detail on analog RF signals, which many people find objectionable, but they don't find out until they get it home (because retailers often don't have analog RF hooked up) The W62 will be sharper and have more detail on high-definition signals. We work very hard to make our color accuracy top notch, too. Also, if you don't use a home theatre, the W62 has a far superior audio system. If you do have a home theatre, the audio should be the same.

3. DLPs have outstanding contrast ratio, but there are many different ways to measure it, so some manufacturers take the liberty to publish some incredible contrast ratio specs. I compare it to bragging at the urinal. The W62 has contrast ratio in the 2000:1 range, but it will look just as black in dark areas as other competitors that publish larger numbers.

4. The W62 uses the Texas Instruments HD-4 chip set, same as most DLPs on the market today.

5. Yes, it has the 7-segment color wheel, except ours has color coordinates that are extremely accurate when viewed with calibration DVDs like Video Essentials and Avia.

If I can answer any more questions, let me know.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us