Help Cleaning the Screen!

Username: Mickinokc

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 1
Several weeks ago I purchased a humidifier and several days with this running I started noticing what appeared to be a water mark on the inside of my 52" screen. I have an RCA Model D52W20 so I took it upon myself to remove the screen and wipe it down.

Since this procedure, I'm not sure if it is my television or if it is the Cox cable box, but the zoom feature seems to be 'stuck' and the ratio on the Cox converter box doesn't seem to be working, remains zoomed and fuzzy. I called Cox and they said it was an issue with the television but I currently have my doubts because the ratio works when I use the remote on the television.

Does anyone have any suggestions concerning this? I have looked online this morning looking for a cleaning kit specifically for this model and I haven't had much luck. I'd also like instructions on how to perform this procedure and once reading it I'll know if I've done something wrong when I reinstalled the screen to the television.

I don't believe I did anything wrong when I replaced the screen except the possibility of placing the screen upside down or something like that and I'm not sure that would cause the zoom problem. The only thing I'm certain about right now is the image is not as 'crisp' as it once once so I'm concerned I did something wrong but have no real way of knowing.

Any suggestions or help?

Help!

RandyM
Unregistered guest
I'm wondering if you might have put the screen on the set backwards. The inner lens should be the fresnel side. A close look will reveal circular grooves. The outer lens should be the lenticular, which means it has vertically cut grooves. Yes, it is also possible that you put the screen in upside down. The lenticular has a 5-10 degree up angle cut into it to direct light slightly upward. If it were upside down, the best viewing angle would be down at the floor in front of the set. I hope you didn't take the two lens apart, because that makes correcting this problem a whole lot easier.

Post Number: 3
When I cleaned the screens I removed the tape that was holding the two together and laid them flat on the floor leaving tape on one edge so the screen opened like a book. I wiped them both with a very soft damp cloth then placed them back together and reapplied the tape.

I'll take a look tonight and see if the image is more crisp laying on the floor looking at the screen.

Is it possible to damage the screen in this way and if so I'm assuming the screen(s) can be replaced?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
If you were very careful, and it sounds like you were, then you didn't damage them. Since you kept one edge taped, you didn't get the fronts and backs reversed. You just need to figure out if you got the screen backwards or upside down. The screen assembly is fairly expensive, so you don't want to replace them unless necessary. As you know, the screens are pretty easy to scratch.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for all your help people! Between RandyM and Dr. Joe I was able to determine I had a problem with one of my cables and it wasn't the television or screen at all.

The old saying 'keep it simple stupid' comes to mind here.

THANKS!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us