What is the best 40"-50" TV under 2k, being viewed from 7'?

Username: Johnhunter44

Post Number: 3
When I view these new DLP's, LCD's, Plasma's, all seem to have a great picture I would be happy with. I am looking for one that will work well with, not only DVD's and Dish Network, but also with an X-Box. Also, since they all look good to me, reliability may be one of my most important considerations. Which one meets these requirements best for under 2k? (No sound is necessary as I have a home theater receiver for sound)

RandyM
Unregistered guest
All can make great pictures. But I would never recommend plasma for a gamer. You will burn the panel with the static images from games. Also, plasma and LCD can have motion artifacts that DLP does not. DLP, however, has a lamp that will need to be replaced ocassionally. Some manufacturers do not optimize audio lip sync in their designs, so you will probably see lip sync (or game sync) problems. If you sum it all up, I would go DLP, but it depends on what qualities are most important to you.

Anonymous

Plasma hands down, The burn in is over blown. there have been 48 hour burn in static tests performed by ISF techs that has NOT caused permanent damage.

AVS forums has a ton of threads from gamers using plasma TVs.

Any Rear projection TV is a waste of money right now and unless you are sitting in front at eye level the PQ is crappy. Onl the sitter in the sewwt spot gets the best picture.

Bronze Member
Username: Taxman

Post Number: 61
Plasmas don't have bulbs to burn out and have the best off-axis viewing angle. However, my viewing room is all windows so I went with the Sony LCDRP because the plasmas reflected too much light due to the glass front (LCDRP has a matte front). PS2 games look great and I have experienced no lag. I loved the Samsung DLP but I saw constant rainbows and was afraid of the lag on games. Plus, I did not like its picture as well as the Sony.

I had no need for a flat panel display due to my setup and did not want to pay the extra $$$ for the plasma. Also, the cost of an EW on a plasma is also much higher than most RP TVs (if you will be getting one).

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 954
It is tought to find a GOOD plasma for under 2k that displays at HD resolutions. Most cheap plasmas are ED(480p) which IMO is pointless to buy.

In your size and price range I think the choice is easy. I would go with the Panasonic 44" PT44LCX65. It is a beautiful set that can be found for well under $2k, has plenty of inputs for all your gear (even PC) and is a very good looking set.

I personally own a 52" JVC, but if I needed a smaller set I'd chose the Panasonic.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 955
Anon-
You said:
"Any Rear projection TV is a waste of money right now and unless you are sitting in front at eye level the PQ is crappy. Onl the sitter in the sewwt spot gets the best picture."

That might apply to the old CRT rear projections sets, but new Digital rear projection sets don't suffer from that problem. I can watch my set from the kitchen at about a 60 degree angle and the picture remains bright and clear.

anymus
Unregistered guest
The Maxent MX3 costs less then $1800 and uses Panasonic glass and circuitry. CNET reviewed both it and the Panasonic and low and behold the reviews were nearly the same although they gave the Maxent 2 points less. (Go Figure). Again read AVSforums threads on those sub $2000 plasmas.

There are a whole lot of RP owners who only bought RP because they thought plasma was too expensive. There are NO plasma owners who would have bought RP displays instead.

You can get a good quality 50" Plasma for less then $2500 using all PANASONIC circuitry and glass. The MX3 Maxent. And purchased at Costco you would have an UNLIMITED return on the TV as long as you are a member.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us