Home Theater done...now just need the TV

Username: Toms_294

Post Number: 1
Completed the home theater several months ago and now its time for the television. I am looking at either the JVC or Panasonic. Which one has the better picture and least trouble free. Looking at 55-60 inch size. Viewing distance from the screen is about 12 ft. JVC seems like it has a brighter more vivid picture than the rest....help - too many choices.

Also is now the time to buy or will prices drop around super bowl time?

Is it worth getting the extended warranty? Usually never get them but something in this price range may be worthwhile.

Prices I am seeing - Costco and Best Buy are around $2500.

www.lcdtvs.com has the PT-61lcx-65 61 inch for 2100 including shipping but dont think it is DLP unless they call the same type of technology something else. Is it wise to buy a big ticket item like this from one of these sites over a local big box store

Help

Post Number: 2
just read further down about the JVC...guess i am going to rule out a JVC....do any of the bulbs on these TVs last or should i start looking at plasmas

Post Number: 3
hmmm...panasonic has issues also

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 367
Tom,

Any mfg can and does have "teething" problems on new models. (Having a parts shortage can and does affect all mfg's as well.)

On the lamp issue, the cause may be a bad batch of lamps from the mfg of the LAMPS. (The lamps are mfg'd by TOSHIBA, not JVC.)

On the light engines, I read somewhere that a "small" cough, cough .. company by the name of INTEL that makes computer chips gave up on making the D-ILA chips due to them being so hard to make... So there is bound to be a certain number that fails early on in the life of the set. Most such failures should occur in the first 30 days.... and if it doesn't fail within the first thirty days it should last a LONG time since the D-ILA sets use NO organics that can degrade over time from what I have read.

Another consideration on the "numbers" of posts.... If you have an item that is selling for many hundreds (if not thousands) less than a competing brand... your going to have more sales of that item... and hence more posts about problems.

On Costco VS Best Buy... I'd buy from Costco... if they have a model that is agreeable to you. Best Buy may carry more of a selection, but you can take back at any point a purchase made at Costco if you are unhappy with it.

On the Extended Warranty.... If not buying at Costco, you'd be a fool NOT to buy the EW if the price is half way reasonable...

BTW: You can buy the EW from other sources.... ($180 -$250+/-) Keep in mind that most of the time it has to be bought within thirty days of purchase.

On last thing I think I read somewhere that the new SONY LCOS type sets using the D-ILA type light engine are being supplied from the SAME mfg.

If you do go with a JVC, You need to wait, buy one of the new D-ILA Designer Pro series with the 3 postions iris that improves black levels. They made two grades, a consumer grade and a pro grade... I think the main differance being the Pro grade being "tweaking" already from the factory... designed to be used in high end studio settings.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 369
Sony D-ILA type sets = SXRD

Post Number: 4
Question on the comment you have on costco

On Costco VS Best Buy... I'd buy from Costco... if they have a model that is agreeable to you. Best Buy may carry more of a selection, but you can take back at any point a purchase made at Costco if you are unhappy with it.

There has got to be a limit on when they would accept a return. From reading their return policy it looks like it is six months?

Post Number: 5
I just reread the policy...kind of makes it hard not to buy an item like this from them

Returns or Exchanges
Costco.com has a 100% guarantee on all of our merchandise. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we offer two convenient return methods. Costco.com refunds include shipping and handling fees.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us