TV with integrated digital tuner

Anonymous

I'm a definite newbie, and am still struggling with basic terms so apologies if this is confused. Also, I'm from Australia so realise there may be some differences in technology.

I was wondering about tvs that have inbuilt digital tuners. I understand that you would plug the coax from the wall into the tv and I assume the video quality would be the best that it could be. However, what about the sound? What sort of audio out do these tvs have?

My understanding is that most STBs allow you to send the video to the tv using a component connection and then send the audio to you receiver via optical digital connection. Surely this would be better quality that the audio out on tvs with integrated digital tuners?

RandyM
Unregistered guest
The audio out of a High Definition television should be near-CD quality (20Hz-20kHz) in theory. However, a lot of programming in the U.S. is still upconverted and the audio is not this good.

Many High Definition sets with digital tuners in the U.S. have an optical digital audio output to provide the best quality audio possible for a home theatre system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us