DVI to HDMI Connection Produces No Video, HELP!

FreddyK
Unregistered guest
Help!!! Here's my setup. Sharp aquos lcd 37" with HDMI. Yamaha 5990 (2hdmi in, 1 hdmi out), comcast digital dvr with DVI port. Cable box to receiver (dvi out to hdmi in). Receiver to tv (hdmi out to hdmi in). I get a picture briefly for about 2 seconds then blank. Sound is ok. Please note that this setup works fine with component cables from cable box to receiver. Why is there no picture? Anyone else experience a problem with comcast dvi to hdmi??? I'm thinking the cable box or its setup but not sure.

fx
Unregistered guest
"Why is there no picture? "

Your display is not returning the required HDCP handshake back to the STB (cable box). This is most likely because your receiver uses HDCP V1.02 yet the STB is using HDCP V1.01. The other possibility is that your Sharp display is not HDCP compliant but I suspect it is the former problem.

Your only solutions are to either use component cables or use the DVI to HDMI cable and bypass your receiver. Then use a digital out from the STB to your receiver for digital sound.

xvxvxvx

Username: Johnmickeal

Post Number: 2
This is good piece of information.
I get the same problem trying to connect my Samsung plasma to a digital cable box. The box has a HDMI output, the display has a DVI input. I use a HDMI to DVI cable, and get a picture that disapears after a few seconds. Neither Samsung nor my cable provider seem to aware of the problem. Any idea on how to go around it ?
Thank you.

FreddyK
Unregistered guest
Here's what I've found out through others experiences on this issue and Yamaha (my receiver type). My issue is definitely related to the HDCP Firmware version on the cable box. Apparently, Comcast (that's my cable provider in NJ) has a model DCT-6412 Phase III, which may have the correct verion of the firmware or one that's compatible with my receiver. It also has an HDMI output instead of DVI (that's how I at least know I don't have the Phase III box). I am expecting Comcast to be out this evening to swap boxes. Hopefully, they will have the correct one. I will post my findings tomorrow, hopefully with good news.

Username: Michael2006

Bay area, CA

Post Number: 1
Help topic: HDMI cable with silver or without silver??

I just purchased a 50" Samsung DLP TV. I am interested in buying a DVD player that accepts HDMI input.

Why do I need to spend $150-$250 for HDMI cable with 2.5% or 6% silver? versus just buying a regular HDMI cable for around $20-$30?

I understand that silver gives better/cleaner quality but is it really required to connect a DVD to the TV?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us