Help - problems after installing DVI cable!!!

Username: 02gsxr600

Post Number: 1
We have Time Warner Digital Cable in our area with a digital cable box (not a DVR). Our TV is a Toshiba 46" Widescreen Rear Projection (not LCD or Plasma). I know it's junk, but all we could afford at the time. Anyways, it's actually my family's TV and they hired a "professional" from a local "high-end" home theater store.

I'm being sarcastic if you can't tell...

Anyways, they charged my family hundreds of dollars and sold them a ton of cables. I used to work as an installer for several years so I was curious to see what kind of work they did. I open up the cabinet and see nothing but composite and s-video cables that they claim were "HD cables" on the receipt lmao.

So I went to the store and bought a DVI cable for the cable box, and component cables for the 2 DVD players. I get it all hooked up tonight and OMG something is seriously wrong! The DVD players with component cables look fine. However the cable box with DVI is really messed up!

It seems in the box's settings there are 4 settings for DVI. Auto DVI, Fixed, Upstream 1, and Upstream 2. At first I didn't set anything and the menus looked fine, but as soon as I went to a channel, it moved the whole picture to the far left and cut most of the screen off! I reset the cable box and set the DVI mode to fixed before it had a chance to move it again and it no longer had this problem, however I can not get the image to "stretch" properly. Prior to using the DVI cable I was able to set one of 4 modes on the TV itself rather than using the different zooms on the cable box. Now, the TV says "not available" when I try to change the picture size. So, my only option is to use the cable box and it seems to stretch it a little too far so part of the edges are cut off. If I go to the zoom setting it really messes things up! The only other option is for HD mode and it gives me the option of 480i, 480p, 480i wide, 480p wide, and 1080i. If I go to either "wide" modes the screen gets tiny and turns bright purple! If I go to either of the other 480's it moves the image to the left again and cuts half the screen off! My only option is 1080i!

If anyone is familiar with Toshiba's or this problem with DVI cables - PLEASE HELP ASAP!!

Thanks,
Jon

Unregistered guest
i set mine to fixed. I have a 51" Toshiba and I was having kinda the same problems. Also make sure the tv is set to 1080i. You won't be able to set pic size from toshiba remote now but via cable box remote. Let me know if this worked for you or if you found out how to fix your problem.

Nate
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us