HD-52G886 Picture Quality

Username: Michaelfpierce

Post Number: 1
My wife gave me an early Christmas present when we moved into our new house this weekend and bought me the JVC HD-52G886 ILA. The store unit looked great, but I am disappointed with the picture quality. I won't be upgrading to an HD input until the DirecTV HD DVR comes down in price, or my commitment with DirecTV runs out and I switch to digital cable. For now I am using my Samsung DirecTV DVR. I have tried composite video and S-video. Both produce a less than crisp image. Any help would be appreciated. Do I need to call for service? A friend is giving me some component cables this week to try.

Thanks,
Mike
Walton, KY

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 524
Congrats on the new HD set. Too bad you don't want to watch HD on it. Your DTV converter may have Y, Pr, Pb connections. If so, use them. Otherwise, try to get back away from the set a bit. DTV has some compression artifact due to mpeg2 signal processing. It is more pronounced on an upscaling big screen. Next year DTV will begin to convert all subs to mpeg4, which should be a big improvement.

If you really want to see what that set can do for free just hook up a standard old VHF/UHF antenna and let the ATSC tuner find your local off-air digital ED/HD network channels. The pictures are stunning. Check www.antennaweb.org and enter your zip code to see what digital channels are available in your area.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us