Whats the deal with cable?

annonymousstudent
Unregistered guest
so i think i am going to get the Magnavox 51" from Walmart soon, i already have the 5.1 sound system and two digital coax cables for connections. if i were to get this, i know i need a HD receiver, is this it???
i am new to the HDTVs, will i need to get HD cable tv or anything, or does my receiver do the job? please let me know everything i will need from start to finish. i appreciate the help guys

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 507
If you get HD digital cable you don't need an HD receiver. If you get HD Sat you don't need an HD receiver. If you just want the free off-air ED/HD local digital networks you will need an external ATSC HD receiver and a VHF/UHF antenna. Some makers call it a digital terestrial receiver.

Check http://www.antennaweb.org to see what digital channels are available in your area. Just enter your zip code.

Looks like you need a set of component video cables for your (y, Pr, Pb) HD connection on the set as well. That should do it.

annonymousstudent
Unregistered guest
thanks a bunch. so if i get regular cable and a HD receiver + antenna then i should be fine, (i probably wont be getting satellite tv or anything).

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 512
That will work, but why not get an an HD cable box. You will get the local ED/HD channels with it even if you don't subscribe to the other HD channels like Discovery, HDNET, HBO, Showime, ESPN. Then, you don't have to buy an HD receiver or worry about antenna issues.

Personally, I really like HDNET and Discovery HD.

annonymousstudent
Unregistered guest
oh please dont laugh too hard but i thought a HD cable box and a HD receiver were the same thing. SO now if i get an HD cable box i will be able to subscribe to regular cable and have a good picture? this is nice to know financially (plus i was wondering how the huge antenna would look).

annonymousstudent
Unregistered guest
also if a HD box is the way to go, which one should i get (i am finding numerous brands), or should i get one from my cable provider? thanks

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 513
The cable company will provide it.

annonymousstudent
Unregistered guest
DO i need to make sure my HD box has a HDMI input or output? i was reading some people complain how their HD box did not have HDMI and their was a lag while switching channels + the picture was worse.

annonymousstudent
Unregistered guest
Do i even need an HD cable box if the TV has a built in ATSC tuner? the website says "no seperate box required." or are they talking about an external ATSC tuner?

annonymousstudent
Unregistered guest
I was recently looking at my local providers website (Bresnan) and they cannont stop talking about how much better upgrading to digital cable, and then to HD cable is compared to standard cable. Are they just trying to suck $30/month more out of people like me or is this upgrade actually necessary. (because i thought a built in ATSC tuner television converts all signals to HD). sorry about all the ?s i just dont want to be ripped off b/c of ignorance. thanks buddy

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 518
The Walmart version you are considering is the Phillips Magnavox model 51MP6100D/37.
It does have the internal ATSC digital tuner. With an antenna you will have whatever free digital networks are available in your area along with any off-air Standard Def (SD). (http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/5/51mp6100d_37/51mp6100d_37_cow_.jpg

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/5/51mp6100d_37/51mp6100d_37_pss_eng.pdf

If you don't want cable or the few HD channels cable offers then your stuck with whatever you get off-air. You get what you pay for.

If you think the built-in ATSC tuner converts all signals to HD you are misinformed. There is no tuner whether built-in, cable, or sat that does that. Tuners don't convert. They receive and display what is sent to them. HD programming is very limited from any source. Wide screen does not mean it's HD. You can stretch any old broadcast to fit on a widescreen. Only an HD program fills the wide screen naturally.

annonymousstudent
Unregistered guest
ok i went to walmart today and the model they had is the 51MP392H. this does not have a ATSC tuner so i dont think i am interested in it anymore, it is too confusing. i just want a tv where i can plug my cables in, hook up my cable and be done-no extra stuff.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 522
I'm not sure what is so confusing.

If you are going to hook up cable you don't need an ATSC tuner. The cable company will provide a set top box that receives ED/HD local networks.
That model should work fine for you. Add HD channels if and when you want to.

www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2601133

annonymousstudent
Unregistered guest
so last question (thanks for all the help i really appreciate it). So no matter if the tv has an internal ATSC tuner or not, if i get a cable box and subscribe to HD channels than i will get both local and HD channels in high definition?

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 528
Yes!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us