SD signal on HDTV

Shadow5606
Unregistered guest
Well... I've been considering an HDTV for a while. Strongly leaning towards the Samsung rear-projection DLP 50" or 56".... (I'd go w/ the lower end 720P instead of the more expensive 1080)

My concern is watching non-HD channels on Dish Network. From what I've heard these HDTVs do a pretty poor job of displaying SD content. On the other hand I believe that Dish Network delivers a 480 line resolution like a DVD so it shouldn't look that bad, right?

I have a 36" Sony Trinitron now and I want a bigger screen but probably won't be watching too much HD till more channels are available that way. Soooo... Would I be better off going w/ a non-HD RPTV? I don't want to spend 2K on this Samsung & have it be a worse picture quality than my current TV.

Shadow5606
Unregistered guest
While I'm on the subject... are there any HDTVs that do a better job than others of displaying an SD signal?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 498
I wouldn't call 720P the lower end. Over 95 percent of the HD fixed pixel displays in use today are native 720P.

We all watch some SD. Those who complain the most about SD picture quality usually have sub-standard cable signal on a 60 inch or larger display and they sit too close to it. I have Direct TV on a Samsung HL-R5067 and the picture is very nice from 10 feet.

Since you have Dish you are going to want to hook up a standard VHF/UHF antenna to your ATSC tuner for free ED/HD digital networks. Click on this link and enter your zip code to check available digital stations, their distance, and their direction from you. When you see how much better digital ED/HD local network stations are you will not watch them on Dish again, unless, of course, they add them some day.

http://www.antennaweb.com

The 50" and 56" will do better with SD than a 61" or 67" model.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 499
I wouldn't call 720P the lower end. Over 95 percent of the HD fixed pixel displays in use today are native 720P.

We all watch some SD. Those who complain the most about SD picture quality usually have sub-standard cable signal on a 60 inch or larger display and they sit too close to it. I have Direct TV on a Samsung HL-R5067 and the picture is very nice from 10 feet.

Since you have Dish you are going to want to hook up a standard VHF/UHF antenna to your ATSC tuner for free ED/HD digital networks. Click on this link and enter your zip code to check available digital stations, their distance, and their direction from you. When you see how much better digital ED/HD local network stations are you will not watch them on Dish again, unless, of course, they add them some day.

http://www.antennaweb.com

The 50" and 56" will do better with SD than a 61" or 67" model.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 500
This is the correct link!

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Shadow5606
Unregistered guest
Well, I'll be watching mostly SD I imagine... But I'll be hooking up my Dish Network reciever w/ HDMI cabling and veiwing from about 16 feet away.

I'd just hate to plunk down 2K and find I've taken a step down in my everyday viewing quality just to get a 14" bigger screen and some HD capability.

I've been considering a front projection setup lately... do those typically handle an SD signal better than a HD RPTV?

Anachronism
Unregistered guest
If you buy a SD projector then yes.

Anachronism
Unregistered guest

Anachronism
Unregistered guest

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 502
I'm afraid not. The larger you go the more trash you see. Front projection lamps are not very hardy, either. Some rear projection lamps are not going the distance they should. Samsung uses a Phillips UHP vented lamp. I'm having good results with it.

The 56" will look fabulous from that distance. Dish will most likely improve their signal to mpeg4 and offer local digital networks sometime next year. I know Direct TV already is preparing to roll out mpeg4 and up to 150 HD channels. They launched two new sats for that purpose.

If you watch any ABC, NBC, CBS, or Fox you will be blown away by the digital signals you can get off-air for free. I rarely ever watch SD any more.

Bronze Member
Username: Klaus

Holiday, FL USA

Post Number: 82
Directv just added hd locals in Tampa area. I have a Samsung 4674 DLP in the living room and a Sony 37 inch plasma in the bedroom. On Sd signals the Samsung is marginal to poor. The Sony is exceptional on all signals. The Samsung has a slightly better HD picture. Both are running cable from HD DVR via component so signal is apples-apples. Samsung has been troublefree for 1 yr +. It has the screen smudges which either go away after 45 min of warm-up or can be immediately removed by gently rubbing with a dry paper towel. I would also recommend looking at the Sony SXRD sets, and the JVC DILA sets.

Bronze Member
Username: Taxman

Post Number: 49
FWIW, I have the Sony A10 (50 inch) and it is very good with SD channels. Digital channels are a definite improvement and HD is stunning, but I chose this TV largely due to how well it does with SD. I upgraded from a Sony 32 inch Trinitron.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us