Wavy picture--please help

Username: Chrisnova10

Post Number: 2
I have a Samsung 65" CRT (model HCN653W)...it's about 2 years old. About a year ago I noticed the picture was much less crisp...if you looked closely you could see faint waves in the picture. The longer the TV was on, the more crisp the picture got...as if the TV needed time to warm up.

Now, the waves remain, and the picture is just not a crystal clear picture. Other people viewing the TV don't notice any problem until I point it out specifically...it's not an obvious issue, but clearly I would prefer the picture to be crisp.

I am using a standard TIVO unit for my input, using an SVideo cable. I've tried alternate inputs and it doesn't seem to matter. Even viewing DVDs (composite input), show these flaws...which is why I am convinced it's a TV issue. Although to be fair I should note, when I use progressive scan on the DVD player the problem goes away. Despite that, I am convinced it's a TV issue.

Here's what I have tried:
1) Manually set the convergence of each color (through the remote control)
2) Took the screen off...the guns were dusty, I cleaned them with a soft cloth, the mirror seemed fine.
3) Tried replacing the cables leading to the TV

None of this fixed the problem, the picture continues to have these slight/faint waves. My question is, what other maintenance can I perform on my TV? Is there any available info which outlines various maintenance techniques I can read up on (for CRTs)? I am not afraid to do this myself. However, I am willing to drop the $200 or so on a technician if this is a known issue that they can fix easily.

Thanks in advance...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us