Direct TV & new HD H20 receiver

Username: Highgear

CT. #1

Post Number: 4
Last night was my first night with HDTV. The guy from DTV installed their new H20 receiver via HDMI. I noticed right away there was a lag time when changing stations. I think the receiver is taking that little bit of time to find out what resolution the program is comming through at. The display on the front of the box cycles through 480i,480p,720i and 1080i. So far I haven't found a program in the 1080i resolution. Is 1080i only for DVD?

StinkyDad
Unregistered guest
I have been trying to research which HD channels broadcast in 1080i formats, but I am positive that HBOHD and HDNET are a couple of channels broadcasting in that format. I am getting the same receiver installed on 12-15, so I will let you know if I find anything else.

J-Sutt
Unregistered guest
Do you need an antenna on this model to receive local HD?? I was told they were finally going to make a model(H20) that did not need an antenna.

Bronze Member
Username: Jumpback

Post Number: 30
I had mine installed a few days ago. Nice looking unit except it does not display what channel you are on. The old one did and you didnt have to hit a button on the remote to see what channel is being used.

The unit pulls in local HD channels via my roof antenna and it also pulls in all but one (ABC)HD channel via the H20 receiver. You only need an antenna for the local stations who havent signed on to broadcast HD thru Direct TV.

Frankly, I think the reception is a slight bit better over my antenna than Direct TV. Just my humble opinion.

Oh, yeah. DirectTV would not hook up the HDMI plug because, according to the Direct TV book and the Direct TV installer, they dont carry the plug with them. You have to have one for them to install. The book says this is the best hook up along with the three wire one which is the one he used for me. If I knew how to do it I would go out and buy a HDMI cable and plug it in, but I would be afraid of screwing something up because I think the sound comes thru that cable too. Not sure on that score though.

Username: Bladekiller

Lewisville, Tx Usa

Post Number: 1
Had my h20 put in a few days ago and went to put HDMI and it flickers on and off every few sec. And the installer said the it the cable. I said it was brand new and so he try anther box and it was doing the samething. The next thing he sid was I'll had a tech come out and look at it. Then on Sunday the tech showed up and look at it and played around with the box and change out the HDMI cable as well. That did not work out so he had the office send out a new h20-100 modle and I went thur the set up on 6-21-06 and it still did not work. They said they will send someone else out on Friday 6-23-06

Username: Rsvcs

Post Number: 2
From DirecTv HD DVR I want to save my HD movies and recorded shows to a dvd. I understand this can be done by using my laptop's dvd burner. Does anyone know how to connect this? Will it record in HD? We have comcast wireless internet set up.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1309
I know exactly how
Do yo have an HD burner on your laptop?
Media and burner is your first step.

If you did not buy an HD burner yet I'll advice yo not to.
Blu-ray is the way to go but I also won't advice yo to buy at present time.
The only way to record HD on MPEG-2 is even more complex and size limited. HD is mainly for MPEG-4 and only available tech is very costly at present time.

So my answer to yo is it worth it?
It maybe cheaper to buy HD movies and wait at least a year.

Post Number: 7
I have a dvd burner on my laptop. So how would I set it up to burn the movies and shows to my laptop in any format? I don't much care if they stay in HD right now. I just want to be able to keep some of the shows on dvd and make room on my HD DVR. The HD sound expensive and no I do not want to spend that kind of money for something so temporary.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1313
What yo want is a video capture card
This comes as an internal or external
Yo also need a video studio editor software

Price can vary from $30 to $200
EBAY is a good source

check this item on e-bay
Make sure yo read item specifications very well to make sure it will do what looking to do.

Go on ebay type:
USB 2.0 VHS TV To DVD Video Capture Card/Adaptor
Upload
Yo can also try video capture etc.
Ask more questions I'm here for few more days

Silver Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 105
Discovery HD, TNT, HDnet,also broadcast in 1080i. My complaint is with the very limted HD offerings from Directv. Other than the sports packages, they only offer 7 or 8 HD channels. They promise this is about to change with the deployment and activation of the new satellite. We'll see.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1318
Member was asking about DTV HD program recording on his laptop.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
King, you failed to read the first post. Said nothing about recording. I realize it has become common for many to disregard the inquiry. Jan Vigne is a master at it.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1319
Thnx for inforcing the policy
Topic was asked in December 2005
It had DTV and DVD
And I thought it was nice to answer it.

Feel free to forward complaints in feedback and suggestions thread
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/suggestions/22.html

Post Number: 8
I hope I have not confused anyone. I was asking about transering the recorded programs from my DirecTv HD H20 DVR to my laptop. I thought it was as simple as connecting via s-video cable to the H20 box and sending the programs to my laptop.

So does your previous explanation still hold true for me?

Yes, DirecTv does promise to have hundreds more channels in HD this fall. They even sent us a special unit (e band converter) to attach to the HDDVR box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
I think that would be a "b" band converter but I stand to be corrected. King, I have no complaints against you. I usually enjoy your entries and the interplay with Marc. One can learn a lot just from those exchanges. Take

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
...care. Sorry about that.

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1320
OOPs
Dennis My bad
I just re-read your comment I thought Yo were making a comment on top of the member's question cuz I saw "limitation" word.

My apology
To your question:
DTV is currently expanding more satellites than any other provider
The biggest problem with Satellite providers is carring both SD and HD. This isn't helping limiting bandwidth with all tests they are conduction to HD and digital channels.

i/o CABLE TV currently got the most HD broadcast
But still no ESPN-2, no History channel HD and many more missing.

DTV is cutting bandwidth by broadcasting 1080x720p and 1440x1080i instead of 1920x1080i no 8PSK what so ever. They still use QPSK.
Where as DN is the only 1920x1080i and 1440x1080i true MPEG-4 8PSK on many channels and keep on growing.

However be patient DTV will eventually get it right. Very aggressive pace with already more satellites and much more to come.

They will do MPEG-4 and 8-PSK
Big question is when?

My guess 6 to 9 months
But for sure under 12 months
King

Bronze Member
Username: Sobeeatch

Post Number: 16
Well King, last night I flipped on my Directv receiver and much to my pleasant surprise the SOBs had actually made good on their promise- a good number of new HD channels hd been added. What a nice change from the 7-8 HD channels that we have been stuck with for years. Maybe I'll keep them afterall. What do you think?

Gold Member

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 1517
Do yo mind if yo list some of the HD programs?

I got Cable TV
Triple pack i/o Interactive Optimum (Phone/Internet/Cable)
I got:
Unlimited phone calls cost to cost
1 Digital SD Box with Tivo
1 HD digital box (1080i)
3 Analog cable lines (75 channels)
Family package for $103.65 per month
Silver package IS AN OPTION includes all movie channels like HBO, MAX, SHO, STZ, ENC, TMC (55 movie channels all for only $10 more)

These are some of HD line up all included
MOTJHD, HDN,GALHD, YESHD, FOXSPHD, FSNHD, SNYHD, MSGHD, NGCHD, 13HD, 21HD, CWHD, VSGLF, VSHD, WSPHD

FAMHD, ANIHD, TREHD, DHDT, EQUHD, ULTHD, RUSHD, TNTHD, UHD, KFUHD, MONHD FLMHD, WCIHD, RAVHD, GPHD

Plus all locals HD: CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CWB

(RAVHD got awesome Concerts) MONHD is all horror movies in HD and WSPHD great sports)

What I don't have in HD
CNNHD, FOXNHD, ESPN-2HD, HISTHD
I just don't know why

But I'm 110% happy with this package
Too bad I don't watch a lot of TV lately

Bronze Member
Username: Sobeeatch

Post Number: 19
Man, you're really testing my memory after only a couple nights with the new HD lineup. Let's see, there are several Starz,HBO and Showtime channels, the Movie Channel, CNN, ESPN and ESPN2, BTN (Big Ten Network), Golfing Channel, TNT, TBS, Smithsonian, Discovery, History Channel, Weather Channel, Discovery HD Theater, UHD, HDNet, Science Channel. I can only receive one network NBC) out of market. Those sorryass local ABC, CBS and FOX affiliates will not agree to a waiver-what a bunch of sh1t. I live too far from stations to pick up anything with an inside antenna. Best I can recall right now King. Probably missed a couple.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us