NEWB needs help w/ DVD and DLP

Username: Thestumper

McMurray, PA United States

Post Number: 1
Hi all;

Looking to purchase a DLP set soon; probably a Samsung HLR series. All of my AV stuff is old-school. RCA jacks and S-Video. I would like to be able to upconvert my DVD signal to the new set, and thats where I start getting confused:

- If the TV has upconvert capability, do I still need a DVD player with an HDMI connection? Or can I just use my current one via RCA for the time being and the TV will upconvert it for me?

- If I buy a DVD player with the upconvert functionality, most of them indicate that you must use HDMI for the process. Thats great for the videa but what about audio. I have a nice speaker setup that runs off my receiver, but there's obviosuly no HDMI. Is there a way to get the video over HDMI but the audio through the speakers. I'm thinking NO because HDMI is audio AND video.

In a nutshell, In your opinion, whats the cheapest EFFECTIVE way to upconvert my DVD's??? If I have to spend a few bucks, I'm OK with that, but I'd like to avoid going crazy for now with expenditures.

Thanks !!!

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Eric, I think I can help you out. Unless you have a very high-end DVD player, you are better off letting the TV do the upconversion. The upconverters in TVs are often much better than the ones in DVD players. I would much rather have a good 1H component DVD player than a low-to-mid line upconverting DVD player.

HDMI is digital so any noise or interference picked up by standard cables is eliminated between your DVD player and TV, however, the difference between HDMI and component is very subtle, so don't feel bad if you stick with component as you get started.

Your connection to your receiver should be made from a video/audio output from the TV. A good DLP manufacturer will have optimized this output to avoid lip sync issues. In fact, many sets will have optical audio out for good clean audio. I'm biased (since I work for RCA in Product Development), but I believe our DLPs offer more bang per buck than anybody right now. Check them out if you have a chance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us