Why does S-Video picture look better than component?

Username: Worlok

NJ US

Post Number: 1
After checking this and other forums and seeing the rave reviews of S-video vs component, I got some good quality component cables and to me the picture isn't as good as it was with S-video. I have a Toshiba 57H84 TV and a Panasonic 5 disc DVD player. the LOTR extended widescreen 16:9 DVD looked BETTER with S-video, and I checked the colors to make sure I didn't mess up.

Why would this be? It looks grainier to me. I can't explain it. I double checked the video settings on the TV and they are all pretty much centered as recommended for a projection TV like this and like I said the pic witht eh S-Video, to me, was fabulous. I was all set to see this raved about 10x better quality and I'm not seeing it.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 302
S-Video better than component?

Try another DVD player.

BTW: You may have gotten some bad cables.. made on Friday

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 148
Did you even turn youe DVD player on progressive scan? Thats what makes it better with the components cause you send more signal with p-scan with them. What kind of S-video and component cables were they?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 475
The s-video connection is not capable of relaying HD formats of 720P or 1080i/P, period.

There may be a good reason why 480i/p looked better on s-video to you. I'm not going to guess why. I say use what you want for lower resolutions.

Username: Worlok

NJ US

Post Number: 2
The DVD player is a Panasonic DVD-F86, and I checked the setup thoroughly and there is no progressive scan setting, but this is that kind of a player.

My wife picked up those Monster cables - it's all Compusa had on display.

You know, after looking at a few DVD's over the course of a few hours and playing with the TV video settings, it might be that the extra detail I am seeing, as well as less color bleeding, makes the picture "seem" granier to my eyes. After watching DVD content for a few hours and then going back to te cable box, which is a Scientific Atlanta 4200 utilizing S-video, all that regular digital TV movie channels and non digital channel stuff looked blurrier to me. It might just be my eyes adjusting. I realize that the DVD isn't HDTV, but maybe I am seeing details that I never noticed with the other cables. I only had S-video on there for a day, and prior to that it was normal RCA cables....

I dunno....

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us