JVC HD-52G886 Locking Up in "TV" Mode

Username: Warrenfr

Clinton, NJ USA

Post Number: 1
Just brought home a HD-52G886 last weekend. I went through the initial auto tuner process and began enjoying the unit. I decided to play with the on-screen menu to adjust some picture details and accidentally launched the long tuner programming process again. Impulsively, and against my better judgement, I turned the unit off to stop the programming...bad move. Since then, when I switch from Video-1 to TV, the unit locks up. I can't access any menus or even turn it off without unplugging. It is faintly illuminated when this happens. I can launch the programming process from Video-1 and I can see my cable channels flashing, so it's not a signal problem. It locks up again, however, when it tries to program the digital cable. To turn the unit on, I have to disconnect my cable inputs so it recognizes the signal from Video-1 first, otherwise it will default to TV and lock up.
Does anyone have any thoughts on how to remedy this? Can I reset something in the service menu? Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 297
I would assume you have tried uplugging the set overnight?

BTW: There IS a reset in the service menu (AKAIK) that "maybe" would work that resets the inputs. I don't know if would work for you in your case but it's worth a shot before calling in for a service call... :-)

TIP: NEVER let a shop "take" your set for a light engine replacement... alot of stuff can be done in-home (and then again alot of stuff does need to be done in a shop setting.. if they don't have portable testing equipment)

I know I find it easier on fixing things to have a fully set-up shop.... Seems like there's always something you forget to bring when doing it on-site.

Username: Warrenfr

Clinton, NJ USA

Post Number: 2
Yes, I have unplugged it overnight...same behavior. I did, however, access the service menu last night and ran a system check. Everything was ok with the exception of two elements: the "TUN" attribute had a "NG9" next to it and one of the "SYNC" attributes (the middle one, I think) also had an "NG." Does this mean anything to you? Also, where in the service menu can I find the AKAIK to which you are referring? Is it under option number 3? I2C STOP? I'm hesitant to jump around without knowing what I'm doing in there. I don't have the service manual. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 304
The TUN is the tuner... NG9 is an error code. They run from NG NG thru 9, meaning the error has happened 9 times. (max display is 9, If it errors again it will not go to 10)

Clear the code (s), via the instructions in the service manual.

If the code comes back the set will not program I'd put money on the tuner being bad.

Username: Capblue

Post Number: 4
Thanks wearenotalone for info on HDMI reset.

All is well again BUT I did have to set the top box to 1080i because the JVC HD52G886 will not see signal from box fast enough. Cable box too slow in switching from 480-720-1080 so it gives no picture at times. I can not see any picture quality loss staying on 1080i. I'm also using a cable card and this has a great picture in all and HD is as good as HDMI. Trouble with cable card is loss digital at times after TV is turned off. Have to remove card and replace to receive digital pictures again. Channel summary shows all channels in. Could be the cable card but with the track record of this TV it may be the JVC. Purchased it from Vanns in Sept. for 2299.00 w/stand and Harmony remote. Great remote, does all.
Could the HDMI sync problem be the digital board and what with the cable card.........
Thanks
Whats your take on this Mr. Lynch or anyone
Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us